PDA

View Full Version : Another of many reasons to carry.

Don Purcell
09-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Good bye.

Wise Owl
09-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Hope they got the owner of the pitbulls. If not, then I hope they got the dogs. Or both.

Prayers up for your brother in law.

perotter
09-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Hopefully things go well. Keep us updated.

Dogs are actually one of the main reasons I decided to carry as a normal thing to do.

Half Dog
09-22-2016, 09:46 AM
I hope things turn out well. Thanks for the post, it is another great reason to carry.

waksupi
09-22-2016, 10:26 AM
That's terrible. I had two pit bulls come after me a few years ago. I pulled my pistol, and they stopped and ran away. Something tells me they had been shot at before.

HarryT
09-22-2016, 11:38 AM
If you shoot a dog, be on the look out for the owner. Most people are very attached to their animals. Sometimes the owner will also attack you.

perotter
09-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the update. They really did get him from head to foot.

varmintpopper
09-22-2016, 04:19 PM
If you shoot a dog, be on the look out for the owner. Most people are very attached to their animals. Sometimes the owner will also attack you.

There are four types of homicide: Felonious, Accidental, Justifiable, And Praiseworthy.
Ambrose Bierce

Good Shooting

Lindy

nagantguy
09-22-2016, 08:48 PM
what a fighter! good.for him, I'm sorry the story didn't read, three pits attacked, he pulled his gun and shot them. I hope he heals.well!

MaryB
09-23-2016, 11:07 PM
And why I have zero trust for a pit bull. Yes they can be wonderful family pets until that switch flips and they go into attack mode...

shoot-n-lead
09-23-2016, 11:15 PM
And why I have zero trust for a pit bull. Yes they can be wonderful family pets until that switch flips and they go into attack mode...

kinda like them unsafe guns that folks have around.

horseapples...

dubber123
09-23-2016, 11:35 PM
A co-worker had to beat a pit bull off his smaller dog last week, it's going to cost him a bunch in vet bills. I told him just like in carpentry, there is the right tool for the job. The right tool in his case is a hollow point. I don't know if he got my point or not. I'm the only guy out of 30 or so on the jobsite who carrys. Be prepared, you just never know.

Storydude
09-23-2016, 11:35 PM
The American Inbred Pitbull is as dangerous as a Venomous snake in your home.

Sure, Hot snakes can be kept as pets for decades with nary an issue, until the one day it bites you.

The "Pitbull" of today is FARRRRRRRRemoved from the English Bull Terrier it came from. Years of inbreeding and Psychological faults(extreme possessiveness, To-A-Fault loyalty and reduced tolerance against Aggression towards it's master) have killed that breed. Sure, statistically a beagle is more likely to bite you, but a beagle doesn't have a jaw able to crush bone and a reduced pain tolerance that when you kick it in the head, it just stares at you.

I'll bet half of the "Pitbulls are just misunderstood" people could not even spot the dog the mutt they have has been breed from.

Lagamor
09-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Tons of pit bulls in Wichita. The owners are almost all really young men who probably don't have the time or money to raise it right or to properly take care of it.
Really good dogs, but really dumb owners.

RED BEAR
09-24-2016, 10:10 AM
why anyone would want a mean dog i will never know. i have two small dogs that would not hurt a fly. all a dog is supposed to do is to alert you. never trusted a pit bull and never will my nephew got 200+ stitches to his face by one of those cute loving pit bulls.

Ickisrulz
09-24-2016, 10:21 AM
My family has had/have a total of 4 pit bulls. They are not aggressive toward people. They are very friendly dogs. They have no problems with other dogs or cats either unless they are chasing one out of the yard.

The problem with some pit bulls is the owner chains them up in the back yard all by their self most of the time. These animals are not acclimated to be friendly with people or other animals.

Over the years I have heard the same nonsense about Dobermans, Akitas and Rottweilers.

perotter
09-24-2016, 02:11 PM
why anyone would want a mean dog i will never know. i have two small dogs that would not hurt a fly. all a dog is supposed to do is to alert you. never trusted a pit bull and never will my nephew got 200+ stitches to his face by one of those cute loving pit bulls.

My old man used to say that you can tell a lot about a person by the dogs they own.

turtlezx
09-24-2016, 02:42 PM
there are over 1 million dogs bites per year in this country!!
Many are for protection, I'll take a gun any day forget the dogs
There aren't a million accidental shootings per year
And most of the bites are family members

Rufus Krile
09-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I own both a Doberman and a Rottweiler and they are both so socialized they would get up on your lap if you'd let them. A Couple of years back I'd heard a commotion going on outside and went to investigate... turned out to be a Rotty had my neighbor pinned up against his garage door unable to go forward or back. He said "Your dog got loose!" In my best Peter Sellers movie line I replied "Ees not my dogg". At which point the Rotty decided he had a new participant and charged over at me. I was holding a broom at this point (fat lotta good THAT would have done...) but couldn't decide if I really wanted to swing it. Dog saw the neighbor trying to get away and recharged at him. I retrieved a shotgun. When the dog came back at me I stood my ground and told it in a fairly calm voice that I really didn't want to shoot such a pretty dog but about one more step would do it. Dog figured it out and left, muttering to itself. I was proud that I didn't shoot it... I like big dogs. Two weeks later same dog cornered and attacked a teenager across the street. Next time I'll shoot the dog. Forget hollow points, bullet weight, caliber, all that... the shotgun is the right stick.

dubber123
09-24-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm not a Pit Bull fan, but I don't think they are any more dangerous than their owners make them. My family has always had big German Shepards. I have never seen such a bunch of sissified wimps in my life. Cushy beds and snacks whenever they want them seems to be the problem :) The jerks that raise their Pit Bulls to be mean should receive the same sentence as their pets when they attack somebody.

perotter
09-25-2016, 08:27 AM
IMO, the main thing with a big dog that attacks, bites, etc is that the damage is/can be worse.

My neighbors have a Yorkie(or something) that is very nice when I'm at their place, but the second I'm on my side of the fence I'm that hated SOB. A few weeks ago when I was out back it found a way out it's yard.

It ran over to me and bit me at it's chest level. That happened to be well below my boot top and didn't even damage the boot.

I read once the little dogs bite more often than big dogs. Just doesn't make the news as the bit isn't bad.

smokeywolf
09-26-2016, 01:40 AM
I'm very glad your brother-in-law is progressing in his recovery. Your BiL is one tough hombre. God bless him.
Hope the dog owner has a very fat bank account. Those medical bills are likely to run into 6 figures.

Not Cane Corso Mastiffs, but had Pit Bulls try to attack me on two separate occasions. First time Sammywolf, our first wolfdog, pinned him to the ground, jaws around his throat, and likely would have finished him had I given him the encouragement.
Second time, Smokeywolf, our second wolfdog, was with me and did the same thing.

I have absolute zero tolerance for people who don't have 100% control of their animals, 100% of the time.

I look forward to the next update on your BiL.

Idaho45guy
09-26-2016, 02:54 AM
I bought my 9mm Performance Center Shield a month ago due to a pitbull...

I have a Great Dane/yellow Lab mix that I take for walks daily. He is over 100lbs but is a very sweet dog. He was my daughter's before she moved to Japan in August when her husband got orders there. He is a certified emotional support animal and just turned 10yrs old on Sept 11th. Super sweet dog that loves kids and other dogs.

I was out walking him, on his leash, when we approached a house that had a very large PB loose in the yard. I immediately stopped. The pit looked at us and normal dogs will start wagging the tail, or barking, or doing something. This thing just stared and crouched slightly. My dog saw him and also did not act normal. No wagging his tail or pulling at the leash to got greet him like every other dog we encounter while on walks. He gladly backed away with me and we got the heck out of there. I only had a Benchmade 551 with me. I didn't have my carry pistol because I was in shorts and my M&P40C is just a bit too big. I ordered the Shield and it is just right.

I found out later that the pit bull is owned by a "pastor" in town that has had to kill his last two when they attacked neighborhood dogs... I guess some idiots never learn...

KA0811
09-27-2016, 08:19 PM
With regards to OP I mean no disrespect because that is a terrible ordeal for someone to go through. But im so tired of people who talk about Pits like they are all rabid killers... Kinda like how the current gov/media depicts all us gun owners. Think about it. Not trying to start any arguments. A dog is just a dog they are all very similar it comes down to socialization and how well the owners do or don't make sure they are socialized. Majority or dog bites are not pitbull. And also the team pitbull is too loose now a days any dog who Who has blocky head must be a pit. When it could be a combo of ten different breeds. But pitbull sounds better... Meaner

richhodg66
09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
A two year old girls was killed by the family's pit bulls in Topeka the other day.

About 20 years ago, just up the road from the house, three rottweilers killed a fifth grade boy at the school bus stop in front of a bus full of his classmates. His Dad was a SFC in one of the infantry battalions here who was in Bosnia at the time. Turns out, the couple who owned them (wife was German) were deliberately making them aggressive, can't recall the name of the dog training method. Anyway, it went to trial, they tried the couple separately, her first, and she went up the river for 2nd degree murder. The husband plea bargained, but it was supposedly the first case in America where a dog owner was convicted of murder for a dog attack.

I have seen pits and rotts that were big teddy bears, but if a daschund is having a bad day, it doesn't kill anybody. I really don't trust certain breeds and question why anybody would keep one.

KA0811
09-28-2016, 10:24 AM
So then any dog who you can't carry in a purse is no good then? Like I said breed has nothing to do with it. But some people refuse to listen once they have made up their mind. Most of the bias is merely based on looks or rumor...it doesn't help that people breed them to for dog fights either. Generalization ls are never a good idea... Weather about breeds sex race etc. And truth be told most people now a days who own pits or bully breeds go out of our way, spending lots of $$ on training and making sure they don't add to the bad image. And then we have to watch out for the crazies who like to come poison our dogs. All based on a look nothing more nothing less. It is what it is I guess.

Ickisrulz
09-28-2016, 12:01 PM
It seems that whatever dog is popular becomes a problem. Not due to the breed, but due to irresponsible owners. I remember being chased a lot as a kid by German Shepherds. That was the big dog that most people in our area had.

Like guns, chain saws, tractors and every other dangerous thing available to people, dogs must be handled with care. If pit bulls were all eradicated today there would be another "problem" fad dog selected by these irresponsible owners and we'd be back to square one.

It is also important to note that anytime a serious attack occurs the pit bull is blamed--even when it is not a pit bull. This thread is an example of that.

Ola
09-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Interesting discussion.

The size of the dog is NOT critical. 98% of the cases it's the owner. Everyone that has owned and trained a working dog has seen this: when the dog is kept busy it is happy and behaving nicely. But even the nicest and already trained hunting dog may act stupidly if the owner is not doing his/hers part. The dog gets "depressed" and starts seeking attention. Sometimes it eventually turns outright mad.

But there are some exceptions. Here the pit bull is not very popular breed, but the ones I've seen seem to be pretty crazy. Last summer I was visiting a dog park with my dog (a male hunting dog) when two pit bulls with their owners walked by. The pit bulls were (luckily) still at the other side of the fence when my dog and some others walked by to greet them. The bigger pit bull was triggered by our dogs and it attacked the smaller one. It had the head of the small dog in it's mouth completely.. It looked so bad. The owners of the pit bulls had serious problem separating the dogs. And when they finally did, they just walked away.

The akitas, rottweilers, dobermanns etc etc. have all been just regular DOGS. They become nothing less, nothing more IF THE OWNER has not screwd em up.

jmort
09-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Pitbulls are the problem not the owners. This canard is parroted by owners, but pitbulls make up a small percentage of all dogs and are the prime cause of dog related fatalities in spite of their minority status. Typically pit bull owners are prototypical losers, with some exceptions, and have no insurance or $$$ to compensate the victims.

2014 dog bite fatality statistics

42 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2014. Despite being regulated inMilitary Housing areas (http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-military-bases.php) and over 700 U.S. cities (https://www.scribd.com/doc/56495216/Estimated-U-S-Cities-Counties-States-and-Military-Facilities-with-Breed-Specific-Pit-Bull-Laws), pit bulls contributed to 64% (27) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
Together, pit bulls (http://www.fatalpitbullattacks.com/) (27) and rottweilers (http://blog.dogsbite.org/2012/03/fatal-rottweiler-attacks-archival.html) (4), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 74% of the total recorded deaths in 2014. This same combination also accounted for 74% of all fatal attacks during the 10-year period of 2005 to 2014 (http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf).
The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 10-year period. From 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 38, about one citizen every 96 days.
In the year of 2014, the combination of pit bulls (27), rottweilers (4) and mastiff-type guard dogs and war dogs (http://blog.dogsbite.org/2015/01/2014-fatal-dog-attack-breed-identification-photographs.html) (4) -- the types used to create "baiting" bull breeds and fighting breeds -- accounted for 83% (35) of all dog bite-related fatalities.3
Annual data from 2014 shows that 48% (20) of the fatality victims were children 13-years and younger, and 52% (22) were adults, 20-years and older. Of the total adults killed by dogs in 2014, 73% (16) were ages 50-years and older.
Annual data shows that when combining all age groups, female victims (24) were greater in number than male victims (18). Amongst adults 50-years and older, females were excessively victims 81% (13), versus males 19% (3).
In 2014, 19% (8), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred, down from 38% in 2013. Children 6-years and younger accounted for 88% (7) of these deaths.
57% (24) of all fatalities in 2014 involved more than one dog; 19% (8) involved a pack attack of four or more dogs; 31% (13) involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past and 5% (2) involved tethered dogs.
Dog ownership information for 2014 shows that family dogs comprised 48% (20) of all fatal attack occurrences, 40% (17) of the attacks occurred off the dog owner's property, up from 22% in 2013, and 21% (9) resulted in criminal charges.
Texas led lethal dog attacks (http://www.dogsbite.org/texas/) in 2014 with 7 deaths. 86% (6) were attributed to pit bulls and 43% resulted in felony charges, up from 0% in 2013. Florida followed with 5 deaths, North Carolina 4 deaths and Alabama and Ohio each with 3 deaths.
Jurisdictions in two states each incurred 2 dog bite fatalities in 2014 -- Bell County, Texas and Montgomery County, Ohio. Both attacks in Montgomery County occurred in the City of Dayton. No felony charges resulted from these 4 deadly attacks.4
See: 10-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart (2005 to 2014) (http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf)
See: 2014 Fatal Dog Attack Breed Identification Photographs (http://blog.dogsbite.org/2015/01/2014-fatal-dog-attack-breed-identification-photographs.html)
See: Discussion notes (http://blog.dogsbite.org/2015/02/2014-us-dog-bite-fatality-statistics.html) | See: Full news release (http://www.pr.com/press-release/605060)

2014 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities
2014 fatal dog attacks by breed

http://www.dogsbite.org/img/2014-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

In 2014, one fatality involved dogs from three different breeds, thus producing a "death credit" total of 44 rather than 42. Eight dog breeds each contributed to one death, including: Australian shepherd, cane corso, Catahoula leopard dog, German shepherd, heeler (blue and red), hound, keeshond-mix and mastiff.

KA0811
09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
You can say what you want believe about Pits being a small percentage of dogs and that's true for a genuine pit bull. But again I guarantee in yours data not all those dogs were basically the term pitbull now a days includes multiple breeds all the bulls bully's etc etc THe so called pit bull term as it's used now isn't a breed like it should be. Anytime there is a Mutt that's has muscles.... It's. Pit... Or one with the short nose boxy head... Must be a pit. And FYI because of thiz pits are one of the more common dogs you'll find aside from chihuahuas (go figure) and designer/toy breeds. But as I said before you've made your mind up about the evil dogs and their owners so be it. Here's a link aswell to they explain betyer than I can about the validity of your stats.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8112394

KA0811
09-28-2016, 02:22 PM
The points im trying to make here is that there is somuch more to dogs and their behavior than the average person gives them credit for. They can be rather complicated animals. And every mixed breed dog you see that is stocky or boxed head isn't necessarily a Pitbull

Ickisrulz
09-28-2016, 02:57 PM
The points im trying to make here is that there is somuch more to dogs and their behavior than the average person gives them credit for. They can be rather complicated animals. And every mixed breed dog you see that is stocky or boxed head isn't necessarily a Pitbull

You will not get anywhere on this. Like politics and religion, when minds are made up it is nearly impossible to change them. True believers will research and find facts to support their claims while ignoring contrary evidence and opinions. This isn't any different than anti gun people who blame the guns and not the criminals.

Like I mentioned before, this thread started off with a pit bull attack that turned out not to be one. How many times is this repeated in the media? Every bad dog is a pit bull and all pit bulls are bad.

KA0811
09-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Yeah your right. It's the usual Us vs Them mentality but if maybe someone who hasn't made up their mind or just doesn't have any experience with them can understand where I'm coming from then all is not lost.

dubber123
09-29-2016, 12:10 AM
I hope your brother in law pulls through as well as possible. Does he live somewhere he can legally carry? Even a little Ruger LCP would have been great for him to have.

MaryB
09-29-2016, 02:16 AM
I watched a normally happy family and kid friendly pit snap and turn on its owner when a female dog in heat walked by. The dog was never miss treated, it was not trained to be mean and in fact the little kids loved it and the pit loved to play with them to the point he would open doors to be in with them. They are very inbred for the purebreds and it is causing mental issues with them.

Boaz
09-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Biggest problem with pits or any large breed is usually the owners that want a 'bad' dog . In low life circles they are a prestige symbol . Anyone that likes to brag about how mean their dog is has created a problem . These people would wear the dog on a chain around their neck to show it off if they could . I have seen a few dogs that were born mean but usually they are created . Any large breed should be socialized from a pup . The idiot owner is most likely the root of the problem .

Ickisrulz
09-29-2016, 09:02 AM
I watched a normally happy family and kid friendly pit snap and turn on its owner when a female dog in heat walked by. The dog was never miss treated, it was not trained to be mean and in fact the little kids loved it and the pit loved to play with them to the point he would open doors to be in with them. They are very inbred for the purebreds and it is causing mental issues with them.

There is always more to the story...ALWAYS.

KA0811
09-29-2016, 09:05 AM
MaryB I know it seems like there was no warning etc. But most cases theres always some sort of warning. Like I said dogs are complex. And they see and communicate with what I guess you'd call micro expressions. These tiny cues in the dog world mean alot... A yawn. Eye blink,posture, even breathing.theres time of theses and that's how the communicate. That how a dog can tell friend or foe so fast and from a distance they see they intent. I'm not justify dog biting a kid. But it comes down to training. Dogs are pack animals and when a member of the group steps outside the norm they bite or nip. That's all dogs instinct. Unfortunately that tiny instinct to nip can cause damage to a child or even adult. Training is the key. Your dog needs to obey you, your spouse and your children. Most people don't train dogs with kids. Obviusly like people and every other animal... Sometimes someone or some dog are just not normal and aggressive.

And any purebred is inbred... Pits are no more inbred than any. Maybe if you breed fighting dogs... But then why? Going back to what I was saying earlier since nos the term pit includes any and everything by that measure they are the most diverse breed. But I want rant too much on that.... These new designer dog breeds CHugs. Etc. Are all extremely inbred and even though they mY be cute they hVe nothing but health problems.

white eagle
09-29-2016, 09:15 AM
I am sorry for your BIL
hopefully the owner of the dogs will be held accountable

smokeywolf
09-29-2016, 08:57 PM
I wish now I had never started this thread. It started with where carrying a sidearm could have possibly made a big difference. I acknowledged the error of the information I received so a particular breed of dog would not be blamed. Obviously this wasn't enough. The fact that a family member is still in the hospital missing pieces of his limbs and has been started on more powerful antibiotics to fight an infection in both legs seems to have taken a back seat. I don't give a flying flip what breed of dog was involved I just know my brother-in-law has a long road ahead of him and will very likely suffer the effects the rest of his life. Flame away.

Very sorry to read that your BiL is suffering further complications.

Prayers and wishes for his improvement.

dave524
09-29-2016, 08:57 PM
The girl in my avatar has a healthy mix of pit in her, best dog I had in 66 years, rescue from the SPCA. We also have an Australian Shepherd rescue , great dog as well and extremely smart. The two of them rough house and play fight with lots of mouthing of each other and nobody has been bit, the pit mix shows a lot of restraint the way she lets the Aussy dominate at times in play, they both take turns being the submissive pup.

kingstrider
09-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Praying for your brother in law. One of my friends was nearly killed by a neighbor's pit bull years ago. He had been around the dog many times but it got loose and in his garage when he was under a car working on it. He still has terrible scars on his arms and around his neck. That's one of the biggest reasons I carry around the house.

DoubleAdobe
10-01-2016, 01:04 AM
My old man used to say that you can tell a lot about a person by the dogs they own.
Your father was a wise man. Coincidentally my Dad said something very similar. He said watch how a man treats the animals he owns.
Hope your brother-in-law recovers soon, Don. That had to be a terrifying ordeal.