PDA

View Full Version : Quick Pound Cast Question

Dimner
09-21-2016, 11:40 AM
I have read through Goodsteel's pound cast sticky. Great post by Goodsteel and great add on information by Geargnasher.

Quick question though.

During the annealing of the brass neck (and leveling the lead inside) is there/would there be any benefit to seating the soft lead boolit/slug while the lead inside the case is still molten? Seems like it would make for a stronger unit.

Sure I could just find out by doing it, but i'm doing my first chamber cast and don't want to screw things up. Thanks!

Yodogsandman
09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
No, you want a fairly flat surface for the slug to sit on. That surface should be about 1/8 inch down from the top of the case mouth. I'd be afraid that the slug wouldn't come apart from the case, locking up the action. Sometimes you have to really pound on the slug to get it out but, the case will eject freely.

Use a fired case with the spent primer still in.

Pour molten lead up to within 1/8" of the top of the case mouth.

Use the softest and biggest diameter, long slug that you can.

Tape the steel rod with electrical tape and cap the end to prevent damage to the bore.

Sparingly oil the chamber and bore.

Place slug on top of the case and drive it home in the action.

Pound the slug down until it "rings" like a bell. That means it's fully enlarged to the throat and groove diameters.

Remove the case and tap out the slug being careful not to distort it.

Repeat 3 to 5 times to compare later.

Measure the slugs with a micrometer to the 10 thousanths. Save and label your slugs.