PDA

View Full Version : Time to step up

Thumbcocker
09-21-2016, 08:53 AM
No. 1 has given me permission to post this in other areas of the forum since not everyone goes to the our town section.

6 years ago this forum was able to help Sam (grey wolf) and Julie (wise owl) get a vehicle. That vehicle is no longer worth repairing and has a finite number of miles left in it. Sam and Julie live in rural Maine 3 miles from a paved road. Maine weather and the fact that they live in the mountains set some of the parameters that a replacement vehicle will have to meet.

A replacement vehicle needs to be an SUV of some sort. 4X4 is a must, remember we are talking rural Maine here. Reliability is also key so we need good tires, good battery, no major mechanical problems, and not something with a history of problems.

In prior posts I have mentioned that locating a vehicle might be a good first step. After thinking about it some more it is pretty clear that Sam and Julie can do a lot better if they have cash in hand before they start looking. Another factor is that their current vehicle only has so many miles left in it so it makes no sense to have them running all over the north east using up those remaining miles to find something and then trying to get funds for it.

At this point I think that we are better off focusing on getting the funds together. Looking at various online car sights it is pretty obvious that any decent SUV is going to be at least $10,000. Of course we all hear stories about someone's brother in laws best friend's cousin finding a mint condition SUV for $2500. If that happens here great, but in the real word $10,000 is a realistic figure. There is still a possibility of a family member finding a deal several states away and if that happens renting a UHaul car towing trailer and towing the car to them is not off the table but with cash in hand Sam and Julie will have much more power in any negotiation.

There may be some folks who might feel that this is an awful lot of money for a vehicle especially if they are driving a vehicle that cost less that that. That may be true but the facts are the facts it is what it is. We could go with something cheap to get them through the winter but then we would be right back here in a year or so. It just makes sense to do this right and get all involved peace of mind and solve this problem. One way to look at this is 25 cents per member would do this.

This gets us to the mechanics of the thing. I have never honchoed anything but am willing to forward funds to Sam and Julie if asked. Sam and Julie are set up for paypal and of course snail mail still works. I spoke with Sam this morning and he and Julie would be willing to keep the family updated as to where we are on the goal. I will be happy to forward mailing addresses or paypal information in response to any pm. You can also pm Sam and Julie directly.

Sam and Julie are family and have contributed to society and this country. They contribute valuable life and boolit experience to this forum. When I was a kid running around the woods with a Benjamin air rifle Sam was wearing a uniform that told the world he was willing to put his life on the line for me. That carries weight and deserves to be honored.

Many of us complain about the state of the world or the country or political deadlock and lots of other stuff that we can't do much about. We CAN do something about this situation. Let's FIX this thing because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Wayne Smith
09-21-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm terrible at math, but doesn't that mean that if 10% of us sent $25 it would fulfill the need? With uninvolved members that might be a more realistic goal. I just PM'ed Sam and Julie for PayPal info to do just that.

NoZombies
09-21-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm terrible at math, but doesn't that mean that if 10% of us sent $25 it would fulfill the need? With uninvolved members that might be a more realistic goal. I just PM'ed Sam and Julie for PayPal info to do just that.

Actually, the math would be 1% at $25 or 10% at $2.50.

That said, could the OP give us some more background on the couple?

Thumbcocker
09-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Sam and Julie live in rural Maine. Sam is a navy veteran and Julie is retired. They rent a small 16 x28 IIRC home at the end of a three mile dirt road. 6 years ago their truck died and this forum chipped in and bought them a replacement. It was very difficult for them to accept help from the family because they are people who have worked their whole lives. They have very limited income and even what would be a minor irritation expense for many of us is huge for them

Since 2010 Julie has had a stroke and Sam's health is not as good as it was. They heat their home with wood and could use assistance with getting some split. They have a hydraulic splitter but have difficulty moving some of the heavier pieces.

Their current truck will not pass a Maine vehicle inspection. They need a vehicle that will by January. With their location and Maine weather a 4x4 is a must. I have tried to find the 2010 thread on this but have not been able to. I can tell you that the thread shows a lot of pride by the folks on this list in taking care of our own with no help from outsiders. I can also tell you that the funds needed for the replacement vehicle (definitely not new) were raised in a very short time. The phrase hand up not a hand out was used a lot. Also people who had experienced some hard times in their past felt that they were paying forward help that was given to them.

This is about more than a vehicle. It is about people who have contributed to society and are active contributors to this list being able to continue to live where they choose. If you have ever spoken to them you realize what pure class is.

Feel free to address pm's to me if you want more information. I will not post location or other sensitive information on the public part of this forum.

tja6435
09-21-2016, 12:19 PM
$10k? Are they going to be able to afford the property taxes on a $10k rig every year? What a out the cost of insurance on a $10k rig? I think $10k is excessive. You can buy a 2000-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee or a 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee in decent condition for $1-3k. You can put $2k into rebuilding the engine (including new cylinder head), ball joints, tie rod ends, motor/tranny mounts, shocks and all fluids/filters. Rebuilt these jeeps will last another 100k miles easily. The transmissions in either Jeep are very solid if maintained. They are also easy to diagnose and work on if needed. These figures are for the Jeeps with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. The v8's require more maintenance and the engines are more expensive to work on.

If you want to lift the Jeep, that's more $.

I rebuild 2-3 Jeeps per summer. If the head on the engine is ok, that'll save $400 on the rebuild cost. My daily driver is a 2x totaled 2001 Cherokee (XJ). It drives like a brand new car. My wife's daily driver is a 2000 Grand Cherokee (WJ). Neither Jeep leaks a drop of oil. Both Jeeps have been on 1500 mile road trips with no probs. Just FYI so no one assumes I'm just making numbers up.

That said, I'm in Denver. I'd be willing to donate my time to rebuild a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee. I prefer the Cherokee's myself. I can usually find a rebuilder for around $1000-$1500 with zero rust around here.

NoZombies
09-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Sam and Julie live in rural Maine. Sam is a navy veteran and Julie is retired. They rent a small 16 x28 IIRC home at the end of a three mile dirt road. 6 years ago their truck died and this forum chipped in and bought them a replacement. It was very difficult for them to accept help from the family because they are people who have worked their whole lives. They have very limited income and even what would be a minor irritation expense for many of us is huge for them

Since 2010 Julie has had a stroke and Sam's health is not as good as it was. They heat their home with wood and could use assistance with getting some split. They have a hydraulic splitter but have difficulty moving some of the heavier pieces.

Their current truck will not pass a Maine vehicle inspection. They need a vehicle that will by January. With their location and Maine weather a 4x4 is a must. I have tried to find the 2010 thread on this but have not been able to. I can tell you that the thread shows a lot of pride by the folks on this list in taking care of our own with no help from outsiders. I can also tell you that the funds needed for the replacement vehicle (definitely not new) were raised in a very short time. The phrase hand up not a hand out was used a lot. Also people who had experienced some hard times in their past felt that they were paying forward help that was given to them.

This is about more than a vehicle. It is about people who have contributed to society and are active contributors to this list being able to continue to live where they choose. If you have ever spoken to them you realize what pure class is.

Feel free to address pm's to me if you want more information. I will not post location or other sensitive information on the public part of this forum.

Thanks for the info.

I'll see if there's something I can do.

Wayne Smith
09-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Sam is also an expert on the 1911 pistols. If you need help with one he will be glad to help, just PM him. This couple has been very helpful for the last 10 yrs or so, answering questions and letting us know how Ruger helped rebuild his 44.

Thumbcocker
09-21-2016, 09:01 PM
TJA6435

Anything that accomplishes the goal works for me.