PDA

View Full Version : For you Texans near Austin to San Antonio---barbeque ?

rockrat
09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Going to be down that way and will have a chance to hit a couple of spots for BBQ. Recommendations?? Other half won't let me eat there every day, so maybe two or three!!
Thanks

Char-Gar
09-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. While you are there stop in at their Salt Lick Cellars and get a few bottles of their Hill Country Red Blend wine. It is great stuff made a few couple of miles away.

Newboy
09-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Just go to Lockhart and stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit_Head
09-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood is a must, so is the Southside Meat Market in Elgin!

dragon813gt
09-20-2016, 03:23 PM
I'm not from the area but I was there for two weeks last October. I went on a barbecue tour so to speak. I went to Salt Lick and didn't find it to be very good. It was cool to see the open pit w/ all the smoked meats. But the place was a tourist trap w/ just okay food.

In Austin I went to Franklin and Black's. Franklins is another tourist trap but the food was very good. I didn't have to wait long. Black's was better IMO. I was there at an off hour so no wait either.

In the San Antonio area I found Rudy's to be decent. It's a chain and contrary to their slogan their barbecue is good. But the best place I went to was Harmon's. It's located in Cibolo and worth the drive IMO. I went to a few other places but they aren't worth mentioning.

I will freely admit I like KC style barbecue a lot more. Everything from the meat to the sides selection is better. But no matter what both are better than that garbage they pass off as barbecue in the Carolinas ;)

Boolit_Head
09-20-2016, 03:27 PM
At the salt lick you want the family style dinner. It's a bit expensive but it is a bit of everything. If you like the KC style of barbecue with the thick heavy sauces then I can see why you didn't like the Salt lick. Texas Barbecue is different and rely's more on the wood smoke imparting flavor.

gwpercle
09-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Lockhart Texas.
Black's
Smitty's
Kreuz Market

If you want to experience real old schoolTexas BBQ, stop in Lockhart. It don't get no better and these three places are the real deal.
I've eaten many times at Salt Lick , they are starting to get "famous" and the tourist come in on buses and the place can get crazy crowded.

I prefer going to Lockhart and eating at any one of the three above.
Black's has more side dishes and amenities (knives and forks), Smitties is the most rustic , like stepping back in time 60 years, founded in 1948...not much has changed !
The food at all three places is just out of sight. Must try is the sausage rings....I dream about those ! It's an experience to eat there and the BBQ is excellent.
I want to spend a long weekend in Lockhart and eat at least twice in each place again.

I hear Black's has a restaurant in Austin...but I haven't got over that way to try it ...yet!

Gary...Love Lockhart BBQ

rockrat
09-20-2016, 03:41 PM
thanks, might try the Blacks in Austin. Will report back to you if I do!!

popper
09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Salt Lick used to be much better. Lockhart is better now. Went to the takeout market there years ago, almost as good as Bryants in KC when it was a hole-in-the-wall place. Very poor now that it is a chain.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2016, 04:12 PM
My folks used to park an RV west of San Antonio, near Hondo.
If you like Tex-Mex, I was very surprised at the menu at the Hondo Dairy Queen...it sure is nothing like Minnesota's DQ. I assume many of the DQ's down there are similar. Excellent breakfast burritos.

Rufus Krile
09-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Salt Lick is OK... just touristy as mentioned. Black's in Lockhart has been a favorite of GW Bush family for years... catered @ the White House often. In Elgin, either South Side Mkt OR Myer's is great. ( I prefer Myer's) Rudy's is a chain... Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi... and has good BBQ. As an aside... 'breakfast burritos' south of I-10 are 'taquitos' except at DQ's, McDonalds, etc. until you get down around Char-Gar where a couple of places call 'em 'patos'.

Kent Fowler
09-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Just go to Lockhart and stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wrong, drive through Lockhart then stop in Luling. Luling City Market

DerekP Houston
09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
meh I haven't had "great" bbq from any restaurant here or in college station that was a "commercial" enterprise. backyard bbq's for me! I'll fire up a batch if you drive through here.

2wheelDuke
09-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Not a Texan, but I do get out there at least once a year.

Even though they're a chain and can be found attached to gas stations, Rudy's was my favorite in the Austin area. I even bought some of their rub and sauce to bring home. I like their breakfast tacos too. Bill Miller's is also a chain, but my parents liked them best.

Huntsman52
09-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Stubbs BBQ in downtown Austin. Get there at the right time and listen to live blues, drink beer and eat BBQ.

Also shoot for Coopers or Black in Austin. All good places.

gwpercle
09-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Stubbs BBQ in downtown Austin. Get there at the right time and listen to live blues, drink beer and eat BBQ.

Also shoot for Coopers or Black in Austin. All good places.

Stubb's is getting famous too , lots of "tourists" , big crowds....get in line early or you wont get in.
I just as soon go to Lockhart and avoid the crowds..... I like the brisket sausage rings at Smitty's best. But Blacks has these GIANT ribs that you should try ....they look like "Flintstone" ribs...the ribs that tip their car over....I'm not kidding, they're huge and good!
Gary