PDA

View Full Version : Suggested 45 ACP loads for the Alien Zombie Apocolypse!!!!!!!

alnukem
09-20-2016, 12:37 AM
Hi....This is my first post & I know this is probably in the wrong section...please excuse me. I have about 5K of once fired Federal 45ACP Brass & want to load Hollow Point Defence loads for the coming "Alien Zombie Apocolypse". This stuff is going to be stored bagged in ammo cans & probably never used. I am coming to this forum as I think you guys have the best knowledge of handloading on the net. I have everything from G.I. 1911A1 to Glock 21 to S&W 625 & even a M3A1 Greasegun. I have reloaded a lot of pistol ball ammo & my hunting rifle ammo, so, I am not a novice. My question is, what grain hollow point should I be looking at & it should be economical within reason. I would think a lighter than 230 grain would probably help with expansion & I am not opposed to a +P level, which the pressure is very humble in the 45 ACP world. Any bullet & powder picks would be appreciated. Thanks, Tim

6bg6ga
09-20-2016, 06:22 AM
Try normal 230 gr RN pure lead bullets as they will expand very well. There is no real need for zombie hollow point loads the 230RN will work very well. Take the money you are saving and seek some pychological help with your zombie fantasy. I suggest that you also purchase a reloading manual so you don't try to over do things.

RogerDat
09-20-2016, 06:44 AM
If you have a need for very anti-social round beyond the normal unpleasant side effects of a RNL in .45 cal. at 850 fps then try RNFP (round nose flat point) or TC (truncated cone) which due to the flat tip they hit like a sledge hammer. Not sure why you would bother. You know what the say "I use a 45 because shooting twice is just silly" hollow points are in every sense of the word overkill.

Ammo you pack away and don't shoot is a waste of components, reload and re-use to maintain an inventory makes way more sense. There is a prepper forum I think. I'm sure in that forum they would point out for zombie's you don't need big hard hitting rounds that cause shock and bleed out, nope, you need smaller milder round so you can have lots of tries for the all important zombie head shots. Like really what is wrong with our younger generation of zombie apocalypse preppers that they don't bother to learn the basics.

:kidding:

randyrat
09-20-2016, 07:01 AM
I run a 200 Grain H & I 68 Lee clone over 4 grains of bullseye for accuracy and will out shoot most loads in a 45 ACP (in my gun) It will function in most 1911s
I can shoot this load all day long with one hand and will work on most Zombies.

You may want a few more beans behind your bullet. Just look up standard 45 ACP loads

Remember the 45 is a .451 big flying ash tray coming at you 800 ft/sec or so, best for close quarters. It will temporarily incapacitate most "Perps" with a vest on even if it won't penetrate. I don't run hollow points, 200-230 grain .451 will make two bleeding holes or crush bone with or without a hollow point.

I would be careful and not load too many up until you settle on a permanent gun, or function in most and accurate load for that gun or most guns.

reddog81
09-20-2016, 08:12 AM
Are you sure +P is a good idea in a 1911a1 or an M3a1?

Windwalker 45acp
09-20-2016, 08:48 AM
I think the OP is over-thinking things...

I watched this documentary once where is was clearly demonstrated that a Katana used by a woman was the best choice to survive a coming zombie apocalypse.
Now, I hasten to add, that this was the normal type of zombies... brain-dead-brain-eaters, democrats and people from Florida.... you know.
I am uncertain how a katana or other edged weapons would work on Alien Zombies.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2016, 09:09 AM
In Revelations, where John talks about the Apocalypse, there is no mention of Aliens or Zombies?
But whateves...
If I were seeking maximum flesh destruction in 45 acp, I'd use j-word 'star' HPs (the Liberals are surely scared of them :lol: ). But a heavy boolit with a large meplat would be a good second choice...I'm not really a fan of the HP in a boolit...even though I have a few molds that make 'em...if I could get all my $$$ back from those purchases, I'd do so.

the Lee 452-255-RF is a boolit I'd look for.
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90349.jpg

alnukem
09-20-2016, 09:19 AM
See.....you guys are having fun with this thread! I do have standard pressure 45 LRN's that I shoot & I have thought about the Flat Point in lead, didn't the Air Force try that? Thanks for the help & to be honest, I am much more worried about our gun....or ammo rights if we continue the O'Bama legacy. Also, I think I'll pick up a Katana!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2016, 09:22 AM
SNIP...
I am much more worried about our gun....or ammo rights if we continue the O'Bama legacy.
Sadly there isn't much we can do about that, BUT the best chance we have is having a strong NRA...I hope you are a member.
Good Luck,
Jon

OptimusPanda
09-20-2016, 09:31 AM
My favorite 45 load is a 200gr swc atop 5 grains of green dot. Goes a touch over 900 fps. I keep lots of these on hand, so if the dead start rising or Mars attacks...I'll be ready for whatever comes.

runfiverun
09-20-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm using the green-dot load right now too.
but my next bunch will be with bulls-eye.
I'm using up the green-dot in many, many shot shell loads.
BTW the original milspec 45 acp load was made with bulls-eye.
milspec is always good when a shtf type scenario comes, or if your just under siege by giant atomically mutated stuff.

alnukem
09-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Now, on to more immediate problems. I am teaching my free range chickens to act as surrogate LRRP's. My problem is, they really aren't taking their responsibility serious.........any suggestions?????? Top That!

Windwalker 45acp
09-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Chickens lack the intestinal fortitude for serious LRRP work... I mean, they're chicken!

Plus, they tend to hesitate or even freeze-up when coming upon a road or trail, anguishing over the philosophical reasoning of why they should cross the road to begin with....

Goats.
What you need are goats and many of them for all your recon work.

alnukem
09-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Chickens lack the intestinal fortitude for serious LRRP work... I mean, they're chicken!

Plus, they tend to hesitate or even freeze-up when coming upon a road or trail, anguishing over the philosophical reasoning of why they should cross the road to begin with....

Goats.
What you need are goats and many of them for all your recon work.

What Camo Pattern should I paint the goats???? Thanks!

JDL
09-20-2016, 11:21 AM
6 grains of Unique and a 200 grain SWC is the answer to your question.

Windwalker 45acp
09-20-2016, 11:23 AM
What Camo Pattern should I paint the goats???? Thanks!

Buckeyes???

DocSavage
09-20-2016, 11:38 AM
If you plan on casting your own a 45 cal hp mold would be the ticket. 200 gr behind a charge of your favorite pistol powder and you're good to go.

alnukem
09-20-2016, 11:42 AM
"BTW the original milspec 45 acp load was made with bulls-eye."

Thanks......it makes sense, but I didn't know that.

Thanks to all you who gave me some recommendations & please excuse some of our silliness, but it is kinda fun!

Der Gebirgsjager
09-20-2016, 11:45 AM
After reading and re-reading your original post a couple of times I can see that the key word is "alien". After all, zombies have been with us for a long time and can usually be observed on Black Friday at any shopping mall, and at most any time in various cocktail lounges. Aliens fall into two categories, the ones that come from outer space, and the ones than enter uninvited across our southern border. The second type can usually be dealt with satisfactorily using a 230 gr. cast RN or RNFP over 6.0 gr. of Unique. The first type is probably better handled with a light saber if you can tap into the Force. I'd still suggest that the saber be a minimum .45 cal., although some prefer .68 cal.

WebMonkey
09-20-2016, 11:51 AM
The chickens are upset they took the straight lrrp units and "folded" them into rangers.
No sense of identity within the rest of the barnyard troops.

Assault goats are the coolest.
;)

OptimusPanda
09-20-2016, 12:22 PM
On a seperate note. The only melee weapon a free man needs to slaughter aliens, is a crowbar.

Garyshome
09-20-2016, 12:45 PM
It all depends on how decomposed the zombies are. If they are really old then You need a slow moving boolit [maybe around 75 or 80 FPS] anything much faster will go right through them. I use a cast 45 [I use a lee 452-230-TC loaded backwards]with a couple of fish hooks hanging off of the back to catch stuff as it goes through the zombie, that way I get maximum damage with little penetration. Really OLD powder with a high moisture content is a good ideal also, the stuff I use is 20 yrs old, I aged it myself, [in a bucket of water]. I haven't had much use for them lately but the need will increase when the next zombie movie comes out.

mdi
09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't depend on expansion from a cast bullet at 45 ACP velocities. I too shoot a H&G 68 clone @ 200 gr., but it won't feed reliably in my Ruger, great in my 1911 though. For my "normal" SHTF ammo I go with a 225 gr. cast RN with an upper load of Unique or Universal, and that feeds great in both my 45 ACPs. If that doesn't stop a zombie, I guess I'll be lunch...:( :(

OS OK
09-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Not lunch mdi...just not aware....863 FPS and about 238 grains. Colt 1911.

Texas by God
09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
6 grains of Unique and a 200 grain SWC is the answer to your question.

True that.

Tom W.
09-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Remember in the Bible the passages about the crucifixion when Jesus died a whole bunch of dead people arose and headed to Jerusalem. I don't think they were violent.....

gwpercle
09-20-2016, 02:11 PM
My go-to zombie load is:
NOE 453-210-RF GC RG4 cast with the Cup Point of soft alloy and with a gas check.
This is a 210 grain round flat design with a large hollow point .
Sized .452 . Over 7.5 grains Unique.

Haven't had to try it on any aliens .....I don't believe in those !
Gary

NoAngel
09-20-2016, 02:51 PM
In Revelations, where John talks about the Apocalypse, there is no mention of Aliens or Zombies?
But whateves...

In the last days It will be Israel surrounded by the four kings. No mention of the US anywhere SO, we are either part of the revised Roman empire or so utterly ruined and destroyed that we don't merit mention.
Given EITHER option, one will need a very good 45 acp load. Who is to say a viral outbreak won't nearly wipe out the US and leave the other side of the planet to fulfill prophecy.

Someone's metal health for believing a future of walking dead is debatable. What's not debatable: One fully prepared for a zombie apocalypse should be well tooled for ANY possible calamity with only a minimal shift in thinking. The means and end are the same.

Ohh, yeah. My 45 auto load:
Rp case
CCI primer
4.0g of Nitro100NF
RCBS 250 RNFP cast from ACWW, sized .452, lubed w/ Ben's Red

OS OK
09-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Just partner up with another Zombie hunter that cain't run as fast as you...no worries!

Ola
09-20-2016, 03:07 PM
I just got interested.. is there a .45 mold that will drop a true "flying ashtray"?

Like the aluminium HP bullet Aguila used to do?

Found some more info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172373 (post 36).

"aguila high power IQ

it is a lead free cast aluminum bullet that is extremely light 65 grain in 9mm and 117gn in 45 acp"

runfiverun
09-20-2016, 03:32 PM
maybe not a straight mold but a self designed base mold from accurate and a trip to either Eric ohlen or a trip through a swage die will give you a pretty good representation of the big ol hollow nose wad cutter type boolit.
I'm good with just a flat point on my cast stuff.
soft or hard zombies aren't gonna refuse their effect. and if your patient you can get 5-6 of them with one trigger pull.

popper
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
aliens aren't zombies, I saw the movie and they are transformers. So what we need is shotshell full of something that will clog the gears. In reality, you need something that goes through the perp (or makes him/her sit down and cry) and NOT through ME. IMHO, OS OK has a solution.

OS OK
09-20-2016, 04:01 PM
popper...you are 'good to go' now...just had a message from Brad.

NoAngel
09-20-2016, 04:18 PM
I just got interested.. is there a .45 mold that will drop a true "flying ashtray"?

Found some more info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172373 (post 36).

"aguila high power IQ

it is a lead free cast aluminum bullet that is extremely light 65 grain in 9mm and 117gn in 45 acp"

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-230W-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-230U-D.png

Two flying ash trays. Don't expect the last one to feed.

lightman
09-20-2016, 04:56 PM
For cast, a 200 grain H&G clone, or the real thing and some Win 231 or Unique. For jacketed, something like a RP Golden Sabre and a case full of Blue Dot.

mozeppa
09-20-2016, 05:45 PM
odd...i don't have a single hollow point...nor a mold for same.

out of 13 molds....only one has lube grooves ...the 25 acp

6bg6ga
09-20-2016, 05:52 PM
LIL DUDE.........I really suggest that you purchase a reloading manual before you try to load anything. As for +P loads for the 45acp. Dude guns capable of +P loads are either marked on the barrel as such OR it is listed in the manual of that specific firearm. If it don't say +P you don't use +P loads.......simple fact.

runfiverun
09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
the 45 acp operates at pressures lower than the 22lr.
it doesn't need more, it works just fine as is.
slow heavy and flat disrupts tissue on aliens, bikers, space monkey's, bigfoot, and just about anything else under 400 lbs that walks upright all the way to the other side from you.

OS OK
09-20-2016, 06:29 PM
I think of the .45 ACP like standing in front of a slow freight train...good luck with that!

"+P?...we don't need no stinking +P!"

Yodogsandman
09-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Ever hear that two heads are better than one? An over penetrating 230 gr round nose will give you that if you aim right!

RogerDat
09-20-2016, 07:01 PM
On a seperate note. The only melee weapon a free man needs to slaughter aliens, is a crowbar. IDK - the aluminum baseball bat has better balance and quicker swing.... still one can use crowbar to access locked doors or windows and take refuge or gather supplies. Tough call but faster on the back stroke for bat tips it for me.

Lee TL452-230 TC is a tumble lube design which can be a plus for volume production, I have not used it (have used round nose version which is decent)

OptimusPanda
09-20-2016, 07:47 PM
But Gordon Freeman didn't use an aluminum baseball bat.

NoAngel
09-20-2016, 09:00 PM
A crowbar is so old hat though. Modern wrecking bars offer more utility.

Lead Fred
09-20-2016, 10:16 PM
My crowbar has an edge

I use two pills in the P220. either a 230gr ball, or a 230gr cast ball.
A little 800X and down the road they go @900fps.

M-Tecs
09-20-2016, 10:47 PM
A good starting point here:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHP45ACP.htm

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_13_CastingHPBullets.htm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?84946-45-Cal-Hollow-Point-mold

http://mp-molds.com/index.php

Bmi48219
09-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Preparing for the Alien Zombie Apocalypse is all well & good but to be truly prepared for anything a couple thousand rounds loaded with 6 gr Unique and topped with silver plated 230 RN is the only sensible choice. The down side being mortally wounded werewolves revert to human form upon expiring, making them less desirable for trophy mounts. I can't say from personal experience but dead vampires turn to ash in the movies, making them poor candidates for the taxidermist also.

alnukem
09-21-2016, 12:54 AM
I don't know about this forum, I ask a down to earth, reasonable question.........and you guys act as if I'm crazy. I can tell you I'm not, my mom had me tested several times!!!!!!

alnukem
09-21-2016, 12:58 AM
It all depends on how decomposed the zombies are. If they are really old then You need a slow moving boolit [maybe around 75 or 80 FPS] anything much faster will go right through them. I use a cast 45 [I use a lee 452-230-TC loaded backwards]with a couple of fish hooks hanging off of the back to catch stuff as it goes through the zombie, that way I get maximum damage with little penetration. Really OLD powder with a high moisture content is a good ideal also, the stuff I use is 20 yrs old, I aged it myself, [in a bucket of water]. I haven't had much use for them lately but the need will increase when the next zombie movie comes out.

Wow......that is precious! Good stuff........do you add anything to the fish hooks, or just let tetanus have it's way?

alnukem
09-21-2016, 01:08 AM
Preparing for the Alien Zombie Apocalypse is all well & good but to be truly prepared for anything a couple thousand rounds loaded with 6 gr Unique and topped with silver plated 230 RN is the only sensible choice. The down side being mortally wounded werewolves revert to human form upon expiring, making them less desirable for trophy mounts. I can't say from personal experience but dead vampires turn to ash in the movies, making them poor candidates for the taxidermist also.

Did you ever wonder what a silver cast bullet would do.....I bet you, they are flying because silver is less dense than lead & it is soft???????

shunka
09-21-2016, 02:10 AM
Did you ever wonder what a silver cast bullet would do.....I bet you, they are flying because silver is less dense than lead & it is soft???????

Actually silver is rather hard compared to lead, plus it shrinks coming out of mold after cooling. Been done several times under "The Lone Ranger" threads.

replace the LRRP chickens and commando goats with Guerrilla Guinea Fowl
they are basically small velociraptors.
- Chicken and turkey farmers keep them to ward off poultry-eating predators.
- Ranchers turn them loose to discourage rattlers and copperheads & gobble down disease-carrying ticks.
- Orchardists use them to drive off marauding birds.
- Farmers put them to work patrolling for row crop pests.

once they grow older they make great watchbirds and the flock will fight off any trespassers human or animal.
THEY ARE LOUD.
Guineas will alert you to strange dogs, people and cars coming on to your property.
they will also alert you that a door just slammed, the wind blew, or a car drove by a mile down the road.

one owner named Sammons laughs about the way they alert if a fox or other predator comes by, or if they notice anything unusual. “They sound like a machine gun going off when there is a fox in the yard,” Sammons says.

Bigslug
09-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Would suggest you load either jacketed, or cast a tumble lube design with the intent to use a hard, non-melting lube like Ben's Liquid Lube (see lube sub-forum) that won't ooze into your powder over time.

We are nearing completion on a group buy over at NOE for a Ranch Dog T.L. mold design that will be available with a hollow point option. Solids will be 234 grains, HP's 220. These are a flat point design that should be pretty effective HP or no, and the tumble lube format speeds up the mass production effort.

Link Here: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=1627.0

lightman
09-21-2016, 09:39 AM
+1 on using Guinea's as watch dogs. I did not know that they would fight but I knew they were noisy. As to silver bullets, I say forget about it. Silver is way hard and the melting temp is pretty high too. I've melted silver electrical contacts and it takes a lot of heat to melt and make it flow. For a plain ole Zombie I would think my H&G 68's should work ok!:D

OS OK
09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
My crowbar has an edge

I use two pills in the P220. either a 230gr ball, or a 230gr cast ball.
A little 800X and down the road they go @900fps.

I wish you'd put this picture away before someone gets mortally wounded! Katanas make me nervous, especially when one of the 'can't walk and chew bubble gum types' picks one up and goes Ninja...

^ + 2 on the Guinea watchdogs.

Also...to the OP...I read your replies...maybe it's too early in the morning but for me but, You sound serious about this Zombie thing...you aren't, are you?

toallmy
09-21-2016, 11:42 AM
I thought this has been worked out , don't you have to powder coat with some green power or something for zombies ?

NoZombies
09-21-2016, 12:00 PM
I prefer the H&G 130 to the 68, and I've yet to find a gun it wouldn't feed well in. I have tried them through an M3a1, and they did very well, the Reising and Mac-10 also like them along with all of my 1911's and friends glocks.

Folks debate the value of a HP for various things, but I've found that all things being equal, a HP version of almost any bullet shoots more accurately for me.

For improved stopping power one could always get a set of swaging dies and make bullets that provide both penetration and large wound channel dispersion by having a solid base core bonded to the jacket, and compress lubed shot in the front. I used to make those for a .44 mag, and they destroyed soft tissue like an explosive charge, but still provided very deep penetration.

runfiverun
09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
I think it's green with red overtones.
I guess zombies can't see the color green flying at them or they see it and are attracted,,,, I dunno.
but it's the official color scheme.

toallmy
09-21-2016, 12:32 PM
That's going green I can get behind ,

W.R.Buchanan
09-21-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm just loading my standard 230 gr RN Boolits with 5.7 gr of W231 for this cause.

However for Zombie Specific Loads I might PC the boolits Lime Green.:veryconfu

Randy

clum553946
09-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Just partner up with another Zombie hunter that cain't run as fast as you...no worries!

OS, you are too funny! Correct, but too funny!
The only Zombies we have out here call themselves politicians!

OS OK
09-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Hey thanks, I have my moments...Visalia huh? Hows things there? Prolly quiet huh? I built the Corrugated Box Plant there for the Fruit Growers Association back in 86 I think. Small world!

Kraschenbirn
09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Lee 452-230-TC - PC'd with 'Zombie Green' - over 6 grs. of Unique. (I coat mine with Smoke's Gloss Black but I doubt anything on the receiving end will be able to tell the difference.)

Bill

Virginia John
09-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Why bother to load what you don't intend to use?

Down South
09-21-2016, 08:26 PM
"For the coming "Alien Zombie Apocolypse".

You need an air mould, you know, similar to an air guitar.

NoAngel
09-21-2016, 08:55 PM

You question MY entire existence with that comment. :) I have stacks of boxes of ammo I have loaded I have no plan to shoot in the immediate future. I'm one of those that enjoys loading more than actually shooting. I even load for a couple of calibers I don't even own a gun for. I just load them as I find the brass on the ground at the range. Who knows, i may buy a gun one day and I'll be ready to go already.

Down South
09-21-2016, 09:22 PM
I even load for a couple of calibers I don't even own a gun for. I just load them as I find the brass on the ground at the range. Who knows, i may buy a gun one day and I'll be ready to go already.
you're burning daylight....

clum553946
09-21-2016, 09:44 PM
Hotter than a two dollar pistol in a cat house on Saturday night! Other than that, not bad! Do some business with Fruit Growers

Hey thanks, I have my moments...Visalia huh? Hows things there? Prolly quiet huh? I built the Corrugated Box Plant there for the Fruit Growers Association back in 86 I think. Small world!

fredj338
09-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Bullet wt isn't as important as HP design & alloy choice. I have two HP molds for my 45acp; the 185gr Lyman Dev, which runs About 200gr cast 25-1. The other is a Lyman 230gr modified by Erik. The bullet goes about 215gr same alloy. At 900fps, the Lyman almost turns inside out. The Lyman does a bit better. For zombies, I think the 200gr gets the nod. Likely to remove the head at the neck with a solid hit. Of course PC in zombie green just because.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/45-215gr.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fredj338/media/45-215gr.jpg.html)

fredj338
09-22-2016, 03:29 PM

"aguila high power IQ

The aforementioned 185gr Lyman Dev mold is pretty darn close to the old Speer Flying ashtray; right at 200gr, wide mouth deep HP.

fredj338
09-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Cheaper than stockpiling factory ammo for an apocalypse.:wink:

Digital Dan
09-22-2016, 06:51 PM
I think the OP is over-thinking things...

I watched this documentary once where is was clearly demonstrated that a Katana used by a woman was the best choice to survive a coming zombie apocalypse.
Now, I hasten to add, that this was the normal type of zombies... brain-dead-brain-eaters, democrats and people from Florida.... you know.
I am uncertain how a katana or other edged weapons would work on Alien Zombies.

Florida Cracker zombies shoot back, geesh!

I strongly suggest a double barrel 1911.

OS OK
09-22-2016, 07:18 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/webkit-fake-url://8CA6BA50-B6EB-4910-B52E-0EC83782D829/imgres.jpg How's this Dan?
Sorry the pic. didn't load...Google them, believe it or not they exist!

RogerDat
09-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Well if you are really wanting to cover all bases.... Gatling gun, make your own powder and stockpile the brass. Dig an outhouse so you can harvest saltpeter. Survival is not just for the first week or month but an ongoing process. Gatling is even an antique so they might let you keep it in any pending gun restrictions.... probably not if they ship you off to a controlled living environment with padded walls due to being paranoid and delusional about zombies but otherwise.... eh? maybe. Of course a Gatling is sort of spendy but these days what really worthwhile survival equipment isn't?

The Governor
09-22-2016, 07:52 PM
9 mm Beretta 92 works for me.

This is good for long distance head shots;
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/burley_bucket/The-Walking-Dead-Welcome-To-The-Tombs-Review-The-Governor-with-Gun.jpg

RogerDat
09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
9 mm Beretta 92 works for me.

This is good for long distance head shots;

I recognize that guy! Did a documentary about zombie apocalypse. I would be reluctant to use that 9mm because I think it destroys your judgment and morality. At least based on what it did to him.

GhostHawk
09-22-2016, 10:01 PM
I don't know that you need hollow points for either zombies or aliens.

Either way I would invest in 1 or 2 cheap 2 cavity lee molds, powder and primers. After you have some 300 rounds loaded for testing leave the rest as component's. There may be a difference between what you think you need now. And what you really need then.

HATCH
09-22-2016, 10:08 PM
just get 230 grain lead round nose.
You don't need a HP.
Standard velocity is fine.

I have not found a 45 cal weapon that would not feed standard profile 230 grain round nose boolits.
I have found a couple that wouldn't feed hollowpoints (commercial or reloads)

And as far as powder goes. I like unique. Its not the cleanest burning powder but i got lots of it.

Ola
09-23-2016, 10:34 AM
The aforementioned 185gr Lyman Dev mold is pretty darn close to the old Speer Flying ashtray; right at 200gr, wide mouth deep HP. Oh yes. That would be choice for making the living dead... more dead(?).

runfiverun
09-23-2016, 10:50 AM
that's gotta suck being right handed and only having a left eye.

I'd imagine the eye patch has a tiny hole in the middle to help focus on the rear sight after your glasses got broke climbing that fence.
but I guess it is the apocalypse and eye doctors probably aren't keeping regular hours anymore so you gotta do what's necessary to keep the machinery running..

Ola
09-23-2016, 11:10 AM
No no no. He is using the patch just in case he has to shoot zombies indoors. The electricity is not working and it is dark! Now he just takes the patch away the right eye is already adapted to low light conditions.

(the pirates did this in the old days when invading a ship: it was usuaally very dark below deck).

NavyVet1959
09-23-2016, 12:00 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-230W-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-230U-D.png

Two flying ash trays. Don't expect the last one to feed.

Of all the .45ACP chambered semi-autos that I own, only one of them will feed even an empty piece of brass. Most require at least *some* nose sticking out and need some taper to it.

NavyVet1959
09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I thought this has been worked out , don't you have to powder coat with some green power or something for zombies ?

Yep, I think so...

http://lucky13bullets.com/images/45acp%20rn.jpg

prestonj12
09-23-2016, 12:35 PM
You question MY entire existence with that comment. :) I have stacks of boxes of ammo I have loaded I have no plan to shoot in the immediate future. I'm one of those that enjoys loading more than actually shooting. I even load for a couple of calibers I don't even own a gun for. I just load them as I find the brass on the ground at the range. Who knows, i may buy a gun one day and I'll be ready to go already.

I thought I was the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ola
09-23-2016, 01:29 PM
I thought I was the only one!

What is wrong with you people????!!

I cast and load so I can :Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire:

gwpercle
09-23-2016, 01:53 PM
I go shooting just to make empties ! Can't reload the full ones.

Back to Zombies.....I don't like the new fast zombies! They just ain't right .
Zombies that walk slowly are much scarier .

prestonj12
09-23-2016, 05:05 PM

I got a bullet puller, so you can make empties out of full ones if you get desperate for some bench time and haven't been able to get to the range to make empties in that loud and messy way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoAngel
09-23-2016, 05:41 PM

My range sells separated brass for $3/lb
The owner laughed and told me I was the only person to buy brass by the UN-separated 5 gallon bucket. He sells it to me even cheaper because he hasn't had to sort it. It's like panning for gold!!!

Digital Dan
09-23-2016, 06:06 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/webkit-fake-url://8CA6BA50-B6EB-4910-B52E-0EC83782D829/imgres.jpg How's this Dan?
Sorry the pic. didn't load...Google them, believe it or not they exist!

Ya thought I was makin' it up???

Tell ya another strategy that works is getting them to run into a cactus. Nekkid.

NavyVet1959
09-23-2016, 06:08 PM
My range sells separated brass for $3/lb
The owner laughed and told me I was the only person to buy brass by the UN-separated 5 gallon bucket. He sells it to me even cheaper because he hasn't had to sort it. It's like panning for gold!!!

You know it's an addiction (and you are totally hooked) when you encounter a few pieces of range pick-up brass that you don't have a firearm for and you then look to see what firearms are available in that caliber.

NavyVet1959
09-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Ya thought I was makin' it up???

<image-removed>

Tell ya another strategy that works is getting them to run into a cactus. Nekkid.

I've seen that one on the web, but I have to think that unless they made it so that the slide would recoil even with just one barrel firing, then you've doubled your potential failure rate. But if you did make it so that the slide could eject both rounds with just a single chamber firing, I would think that with both chambers firing, it would recoil *too* much and hit the slide stop.

runfiverun
09-23-2016, 06:45 PM
400 grs of recoil is quite a bit.
you might as well get a 12 shot 45-70 revolver built.

The Governor
09-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOC-iGQU_ow

OS OK
09-23-2016, 07:37 PM
You can have that POSpit, somebody on a bad acid trip musta thunk it up!

NoAngel
09-23-2016, 08:09 PM
The double barrel looks stupid at first but there is a lot of engineering and machine work to make it function. That is to be respected....no matter how UTTERLY useless the thing actually is.

AND, as usual, Jerry Miculek makes it work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEYcUSQDyw

Digital Dan
09-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Well fiddle, I reckon if y'all don't like the twin .45, a 6 barreled 7.62 is out of the question?

Zombies are tuff.....