PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a Wood burning fireplace insert

flyer1
09-19-2016, 09:05 PM
I just retired near Granbury, TX. I have a nice wood burning firplace. I would like to buy a wood burning fire place insert with a blower. The opening is 35 " in wide in the front 28" wide in the back, 27" tall by 26 " deep. The prices I see on the internet are very high.

I am hoping some one will have some ideas or a link to a reasonable priced insert.

Thanks all.

Mike

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 09:51 PM
You get what you pay for. I had a Lopi for our fireplace back in Michigan back in the 90's. That heated the whole house. It was a really good one and will probably still be going strong. Yes, it had a blower on it but if you use a fan in a doorway, it will push heat into other rooms also.

We have a Regency woodstove here in Maine but not and insert but similar in construction. They are both made of cast steel. They will last forever. Our neighbors have gone thru at least 6 woodstoves since we got the Regency which was slightly used but still primo.

Try to avoid cast iron. You get them too hot too fast and you WILL crack them. Bye bye woodstove/insert.

flyer1
09-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks wise owl.

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 10:06 PM
You're welcome.

knifemaker
09-20-2016, 01:19 AM
Lopi is a top name brand that works great on heating a house. I have a Lopi LP gas stove that is rated at 85% efficient and heats our entire house which is 2500 Sq. ft. Runs me less money then buying firewood would and I live at 1900 ft. in Northern CA.

square butte
09-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Another Lopi owner here. Look at the spec.'s and get the largest firebox you can fit in your fireplace. You will appreciate a larger box come night time. We have a glass front door on ours. It throws more heat on to the floor out in front of the stove than I would like.

flyer1
09-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Thanks, square butte.

Gofaaast
09-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Wood Aire inserts are awsome. They were made, and may still be in Oklahoma. I know of many 2000+ sq. ft homes that are not efficient, and are kept overly warm with these. Don't know of any for sale, but thought I would provide what knowledge I have on the subject.

ol skool
09-20-2016, 09:53 PM
We had a Quadra-fire insert back before the EPA goosesteppers got a hold of wood stoves and decided to regulated them. Ran great. Had a Lopi freestanding before that. Ran great. Had an old Ashley before that. Ran great.

Moved and got a EPA 'certfited' Quadra-fire freestanding stove and it runs HOT, burns 2X as much wood. So I don't think the EPA is really interested in reducing C output. Just making life problematic for us hillbilly's is their fun. 2x as much wood, 2x as much C. Conservation of Matter... Who ever said enviros took science classes?

My favorite stove is an old Fisher. They made inserts too. Do a google search for more info. If you can find a Fisher insert in decent shape you have the best pre-EPA stove you can find. They burn good, you can shut them down to a trickle and make a full load of dry Oak last over a long weekend away from home. Considering the quality I would drive to Maine to get one but most of them are here in the PNW. Unfortunately in this state I'd get thrown in prison for having a good stove in my house...

montana_charlie
09-21-2016, 02:06 PM
We have a pellet-fired insert. Set on '2' (out of 5) it will run unattended for about 20 hours and provide very good heat.
It is a Whitfield Advantage, which has been out of production for years. But, there are others ...

Electric88
09-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Just a tidbit of information to consider, and if it doesn't affect you that's fine. i was looking at woodburner inserts awhile back, and found out the hard way that my fireplace is a "zero clearance" fireplace. Meaning no actual firebrick back there. Apparently, it is not recommended to put an insert in most zero clearance fireplaces.

Hopefully you fare better than I did on that one.

flyer1
09-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info.

montana_charlie
09-21-2016, 10:17 PM
found out the hard way that my fireplace is a "zero clearance" fireplace. Meaning no actual firebrick back there.
Does that mean it's just 'cosmetic', and you can't build a fire in it?