PDA

View Full Version : Put my dogs down today

rockrat
09-19-2016, 06:21 PM
It was time. I was wondering about one of them, but he has been drinking alot of water lately. At least I though. Watching him, I notice he was lapping up water, but appeared to not be able to get much water. He had cancer and one of the tumors was in his throat/back of the mouth. He couldn't hardly swallow. Been not eating much and losing weight. Also arthritis and deaf.

The other also had cancer, arthritis, almost blind and deaf.

They had been buds for 14 1/2 years. Cold was really hard on them and its getting ready to turn cold. Was a beautiful Colorado day today. Figured have them go to their eternal sleep on such a nice day instead of one where it was bad and they were hurting worse.

At least they are not suffering anymore.

Been a rough 24 hours, yesterday losing one of our motorcycle group on our ride and losing my puppies today.:(

chsparkman
09-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I know how rough it is. Sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing.

Ithaca Gunner
09-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Few are worse than loosing your dogs. My condolences to you and may you find another.

bayjoe
09-19-2016, 06:30 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.
My sincerest condolences

6bg6ga
09-19-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 06:35 PM
So sorry to hear this. Our pups become so precious to us especially when you have had them so long.

bedbugbilly
09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss . . . but it sounds like you did the right thing. I've been through it many times over the years and it's never easy. But, what you did was the kindest act of love that you could have ever given them in their state of health. I'm a firm believer that when it is our time, we will be greeted by our loyal and loving four legged friends and reunited with them forever.

Grieve and when it is time, there are many out there that need a loving and secure home. Every one is different but they all will be devoted and give so much love back. Take care and our prayers are with you in this difficult time.

Hamish
09-19-2016, 06:44 PM
My condolences bud.

Hickok
09-19-2016, 06:56 PM
I know it is heartbreaking, and you have my heartfelt sympathy.

toallmy
09-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of a good pardner , God bless .

smokeywolf
09-19-2016, 07:09 PM
Sending them on ahead to the Rainbow Bridge is a inescapable responsibility and the final act of love.

I'm awfully sorry for your loss.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-19-2016, 07:10 PM
sorry for your loss

Mtnfolk75
09-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Prayers are up for your comfort.

square butte
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
They will be waiting for you when you get there

shooter2
09-19-2016, 07:26 PM
We've gone through this many times. It's damned tough and I still get tears. Don't wait, get two more. We adopt through ESRA.

waco
09-19-2016, 07:29 PM
I know all too well how much it hurts to put down a loving family member. It's been over 6 years for me and I still miss him. So very sorry for the loss of your puppies. God bless you.

Smoke4320
09-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Prayers for your comfort. Years later I still think and miss several of my dogs

white eagle
09-19-2016, 07:42 PM
sorry for your loss
I to have had to do that very thing its never easy
cried like a baby but like others have said they are waiting for us
condolences

osteodoc08
09-19-2016, 07:46 PM
My heartfelt sympathy and condolences. I had to put down my 16 yo lab earlier this year after a stroke and was an emotional wreck. There are days I still hear her bark and will occasionally think I see her, but it's just an inanimate object in the shadows. She was the best dog I could have ever asked for. Been through college, medical school, residency, 4 kids and a marriage with her. Always by my side and the most loving, graceful, faithful friend any man could ask for. I hope your experience was the equal of mine. You did the right thing by them.

9w1911
09-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Wow so sorry you guys, I have a 13yo and her 12yo son, I am in denial, and the 12yo is my best bud. I had his dad for 13 years, I have his great niece and nephew who are both 2, brother and sister. I just keep the cycle going, and as soon as I am down to 2 dogs I am taking myself to the pound to get the third.

DCP
09-19-2016, 08:11 PM
We lost Patches 8/26/16 she is with Angel now. May they play at the Rainbow Bridge until we meet again. She was a brave little dog.
Thank you LORD for the time we had.

On the 26 I played TAPS on my bugle and 6:30pm for Patches, this is the time we fed her and gave her insulin for the last 2 years 8 mo and 1 week. She was almost 12.
Rest in peace girl. I couldn’t even write this until today.

Yes its a sad day. We all must have these days if we allow a Dog into our hearts. A dog leaves paw prints in our home and in our hearts.

opos
09-19-2016, 08:18 PM
We have been the "route" a number of times and it's never easy...we can never replace a trusting friend but we can keep on stepping up to make a place for the next one that needs a loving home..tough to do but as someone said....it's the final act of a loving friend..if the roles were reversed and we were suffering I don't think our buddies would hesitate to ease our pain because of their love for us..stay strong.

Boaz
09-19-2016, 08:21 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss . . . but it sounds like you did the right thing. I've been through it many times over the years and it's never easy. But, what you did was the kindest act of love that you could have ever given them in their state of health. I'm a firm believer that when it is our time, we will be greeted by our loyal and loving four legged friends and reunited with them forever.

Grieve and when it is time, there are many out there that need a loving and secure home. Every one is different but they all will be devoted and give so much love back. Take care and our prayers are with you in this difficult time.

I'm sorry for your loss bedbugbilly said it well . It's hard to lose anything that loves you back .

Blanket
09-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I have had to put a lot of dogs down and it never gets any easier, get a puppy as soon as possible. We have a new Border Collie puppy to play with now

brstevns
09-19-2016, 08:35 PM
I am keeping you in my prayers.

41magjh
09-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your losses.Good pets an good riding partners are hard to come by. Prayer for your family an the riders family

lightman
09-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Thats a tough lick my Friend. I like to think that they are in a better place.

K.O.
09-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Had to pet my bud Pugsly (12 year old grey Manx) to his rest last week... I and his other bud Mylo(short for Mylito Thrash) really miss him.

ShooterAZ
09-19-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss my friend. May the memories of your sweet dogs last in your heart forever.

OS OK
09-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Been there done that too gosh dang many times in my 66 years...I hesitate to even respond to these threads like this as it rolls out all the mind movies of the best friends that I have had to make this call on. All the times I held them lovingly as the Vet injected them...somehow, I pray that they understood. Heck, just look back at all the times you would swear that they can read your mind! You might only be contemplating going to the store and you see them sitting and waiting to go...God how I miss them all as I am sure you do too.
I know your pain and know also that there is absolutely nothing that can be said to alleviate the pain you endure...But, this too shall pass, not go away, just the pain will subside over time as long as we do not reminisce or stop to look at their picture too often.
I wish there was a way to deal with this but there ain't.

You have my most heartfelt condolences...charlie

BNE
09-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear. Tough job, many don't understand. It has been a year and a half since I put mine down. I still don't like to talk about it.

Butchman205
09-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear about both events friend. You've got friends here who'll be right here if you feel like hanging out, or reading about our goofy new gun, new favorite load, or whatever else we have in the way of fun stuff to distract us from our problems.

But hang in there man...losing a good pet or friend is tough.

-Butchman

shoot-n-lead
09-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hear this.

They certainly take a part of us with them.

MaryB
09-20-2016, 01:40 AM
Hard to lose a family member, that is what pets are!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Detroitdanm
09-20-2016, 03:23 AM
A hard duty, but one owed to those we love. I had to put my little pumpkin down last year at 18 years of age, she was no longer able to stand and was failing badly. She slept one last night on my bed and a kind vet eased her on her journey while my mom, sister and I were there to see her off. Looking at the last pic I took of her later, it was evident just how tired and ready she was.

Condolances.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2016, 06:38 AM
its been a couple months since I lost my best friend and I still tear up when I glance at his picture. I feel for you.

Goatwhiskers
09-20-2016, 08:46 AM
I read not long ago that God gave us dogs to teach us the meaning of unconditional love. GW

44man
09-20-2016, 09:19 AM
I can't comfort you. No pain is worse then the loss of a friend. I understand if they are in pain but it is still not something I want.
I never felt bad when a family member lived a long, good life. It was time but a dog really hurts me.
I look at my little one sleeping under my seat and she is healthy but I still get tears knowing I will lose her someday.
I can only say GOD BLESS you. You did all you could.

kmw1954
09-20-2016, 11:32 AM
This is my best friend sitting on my lap the morning we took him for his last car ride. Rosco we 14. His pal Diesel the Husky misses him as much as we do. Diesel now has separation anxiety and does not like to be left alone. He still runs to the gate every time the car pulls in, I believe he is looking for his buddy.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/bonz-d/008_zpszexxcne1.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/bonz-d/media/008_zpszexxcne1.jpg.html)

It is never easy though I am comforted knowing he is no longer suffering.

rockrat
09-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks to all and condolences to all who have gone thru the same thing. Breaks your heart to do it, but it was the last act of love I could do for them. Vet came to the house and did a great job. First shot to put them to sleep in a few minutes. Gave me time to say goodbye and tell them what good dogs they were and I would miss them. Then the finish. Had one for 15 years, the other for 14 1/2.

Strange, but both my cats are real "clingy" now.

And also, when I way burying the boys and saying a last goodbye, the two neighbor dogs, who usually bark constantly when we are anywhere near the fence line, didn't make a sound. Thats never happened before. Its like they knew.

Thanks again

Fordcragar
09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Sorry about your loss, I understand. We had to have our 12 year old German Shepard put down a few weeks ago, as she lost all mobility in her hind quarters. It's heartbreaking when you have to go through this.

montana_charlie
09-20-2016, 01:52 PM
I read your opening post and shed a few tears for you ... so you don't have to shed so many.

44man
09-20-2016, 02:57 PM
I read your opening post and shed a few tears for you ... so you don't have to shed so many.
Does not help. I want to hug the poor man but there is nothing we can do. His loss will be forever.
I am a bucket of tears but it will not bring the dog back. Just hope the lord has them in his arms.

KReider477
09-20-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I to sadly had to put my dog down recently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Taylor
09-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Yes it hurts,especially if you have to do it yourself.Sorry my friend.

HABCAN
09-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes, we KNOW: irreplaceable. BTDT. Prayers and Loves where appropriate..............!!

William Yanda
09-20-2016, 07:15 PM
rockrat
I recommend that as soon as you feel ready, make a visit to a nearby humane shelter.
Regards
Bill

flyingmonkey35
09-20-2016, 08:24 PM
So sorry.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

richhodg66
09-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Hard enough with one, I can't imagine two. Anytime we ever lost a cat or dog, the house just always seemed so strange and quiet for a long time.

fortysomething
09-20-2016, 09:39 PM
So sorry for your loss. I understand your pain. It is a difficult thing to do, even when we know it is the right choice. Losing your best friends is hard.

Blackwater
09-21-2016, 01:00 AM
Rockrat, as hard as I know it was to do, you came through for them when they most needed you. Those are the times when it's hardest to do what we know we must, for their good. Dogs are so free and loving and joyous, when they get like that, they have nothing left that CAN make them happy, and it's just unbearable to see them suffering when we know we can end it for them. You did the right and best thing for them when they really needed it most. One cannot honor a dog more than that, and I suspect they thanked you for it, even though they'll be missing you as much as you are them. The hardest part of having a great dog is when that relationship comes to an end. It always leaves a hole inside us that can't be filled, but the best thing we can do is when we feel we can, to get another one, and create another relationship with another good one. It doesn't fill the hole, but continues the chain that is life. If they can't be here, you know they'd want you to have another one to love like you've loved them. It's just what dogs do for us, because they truly love us in a way that no other animal or human can. But go through the inevitable grieving first. I had to do this a year ago now, and several times before that. My new pup isn't the same as my old Llewellyn, but she's wonderful, all the same. No man ever has a human friend that loves him quite like his dogs do.

starmac
09-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your dogs.
If I understood your post right, you also lost a friend, really sorry to hear that.

scdw43
09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Sorry for your loss. I had to do the same thing about two years ago to a dog we had 15 years. It is hard, but I believe it is our responsibility also to know when to let go.

toallmy
09-22-2016, 09:05 AM
I read a post earlier I believe was by Blackwater that was very touching DOG is GOD spelled backwards and it reaches deep inside of my heart . May God bless our little loved ones as the Lord has blessed us with them .

9w1911
09-22-2016, 01:05 PM
"If they can't be here, you know they'd want you to have another one to love like you've loved them." - I have said this many times, as much as it hurts, I know they would want me to take care of another them same way I did with them.