PDA

View Full Version : Need some Dan Wesson help

JohnH
09-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Having a hard time getting cylinder to rotate. It spins freely on the crane, but close the cylinder and the gun cocks hard. It may or may not cock freely one time out of 5 or 6. I took the gun down completely and cleaned everything really good but it still acts like it is binding. Doesn't matter if you cock the gun single action or try double action. Any knowledge or help appreciated.

reddog81
09-18-2016, 07:07 PM
What kind of Dan Wesson? Old or new? .357, 44 or something else?

is the barrel / cylinder gap set correctly? Is the cylinder hitting the frame somewhere? If those don't help solve the problem there could be some problem with the trigger and the cylinder stop interface. I could be wrong but the cylinder stop is the only thing that's holds the cylinder in place. The hand advances the cylinder but shouldn't be causing it to bind.

JohnH
09-18-2016, 07:18 PM
It's an older Model 744HV. I'll check the cylinder gap as I didn't remove the barrel when I stripped it. When the cylinder is open, the action works fine, hand moves properly, no binding. Really starts to sound like a gap issue don't it. Thanks. I'll post back

JohnH
09-18-2016, 07:47 PM
What kind of Dan Wesson? Old or new? .357, 44 or something else?

is the barrel / cylinder gap set correctly? Is the cylinder hitting the frame somewhere? If those don't help solve the problem there could be some problem with the trigger and the cylinder stop interface. I could be wrong but the cylinder stop is the only thing that's holds the cylinder in place. The hand advances the cylinder but shouldn't be causing it to bind. Cylinder gap was it. Checked gap and couldn't even see light through it much less insert feeler gage. Pulled barrel, cleaned end good with brass brush, reinstalled and set gap space correct and problem solved. Thanks for your help reddog81, sometimes all a fella needs is a bit of guidance from someone on the outside looking in.

Victor N TN
09-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I would bet a cup of coffee and a doughnut it's the barrel too tight. I used to use a feeler gauge to set the distance.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2016, 07:51 PM
If it was a S&W, I would say the crane is bent. I don't know offhand how to check a Dan Wesson for a properly aligned crane.

Try the simple stuff first, as reddog81 mentioned look at the barrel to cylinder gap and make sure it isn't binding there.

Robert

Gee I type slow. Glad you got it fixed.

reddog81
09-18-2016, 08:42 PM
I'm glad you got it taken care of. I just purchased my first DW and I think it has some ratchet problems so I've had it apart a couple of times over the weekend studying how everything interacts.

runfiverun
09-18-2016, 10:32 PM
they are super simple and strong guns.
the prototypes innards were built on a Kitchen table with a file.
one oddity I have seen with some is one cylinder will stick out towards the barrel a little further than the others.

aspangler
09-19-2016, 12:25 AM
I have a model 12 service model. Barrel/ cylinder gap on it is just 6 thousands inch. Too much and no accuracy. Too little and I have your problem. Mine is VERY accurate. No it is not for sale.

Greg S
09-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Check end shake and head space with some fired cartridge cases. Set your barrel/cylinder gap with the empties in the gun and after setting it half cock the hammer and check for clearance on all holes by rotating the cylider.

44man
09-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Mine had the cylinder front not true, set the gap on one chamber and the cylinder would hit. I had to send it in.
If you can't get the barrel nut loose, use a hose and funnel to pour boiling water through the barrel and the nut will spin right off.
To get the hammer back in easy, tie the hand to it with thread, snake the thread through the hammer slot and install the hammer, reach in and cut the thread.

Maven
09-19-2016, 08:06 AM
"One oddity I have seen with some is one cylinder will stick out towards the barrel a little further than the others." ...r5r

Have that problem with my Monson made .357mag. as well.

44man
09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
"One oddity I have seen with some is one cylinder will stick out towards the barrel a little further than the others." ...r5r

Have that problem with my Monson made .357mag. as well.
Chamber, not cylinder unless you have more then one.

runfiverun
09-19-2016, 10:46 AM
chamber cylinder meh?! either way one of them is longer.
I use that one and a .004 feeler gauge and it's all good enough for me.

44man
09-19-2016, 01:16 PM
I think mine had a good .020" wobble and the insides looked like sand castings and the sand was not dumped out. It was not the Monson, it was made after they were bought out and the barrel was also crooked in the frame.
I have shot and handled many real early ones and they were superb but good things come to and end when fingers get stuck in the pie for profit.
Now a friend has a DW 1911 and it is the most accurate I ever shot. I don't know when it was made. Time lines count with the company.

runfiverun
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
yeah it does,, they went through a real rough patch there for a while.
the 1911's are made by CZ-USA as are any recent revolvers.

7br
09-19-2016, 10:05 PM
I had the ejector rod unscrew a little bit on me when I was shooting a small bore silhouette match this weekend. It was dragging on the muzzle end of the cutout in the shroud. I was pretty sure the barrel hadn't moved and the face of the cylinder was not gunked up yet. That was an exiting 30 seconds.

Moonie
09-24-2016, 02:14 PM
I had a 7445 445 supermag that was tighter on one side of the cylinder. Monson made.