PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions regarding picking the proper bullet mold diameter.

Idaho45guy
09-18-2016, 03:31 AM
First post here and I have tried searching the forums but looks like I could spend weeks reading all of the excellent posts filled with decades of experience. Just a quick search didn't reveal an answer and I am chomping at the bit to order more molds, so, here goes... And I apologize for the long post, but I thought some background would be helpful...

My dad is an expert on all things rifle, but has a certain disdain for pistols and rather than admit to me that he doesn't know much about reloading for them, chooses to avoid my questions.

My dad is a very experienced reloader/caster. He casts bullets as a subcontractor for a major supplier of competition bullets. Does around 40k bullets per year for them. I have, over the past few months, helped him out with a couple of orders and have cast a few thousand bullets myself. I found it to be actually pretty fun. So I am pretty good at getting the lead to the right temps, getting the molds heated, avoiding frosting, avoiding voids, etc.

My dad gave me a Cimarron Arms 1873 Peacemaker Cavalry model in .45 Colt for Christmas last year. Beautiful gun! He had wanted to get into CAS so he bought the pistol, a few hundred bullets from Midway, developed a soft shooting load (6grs of Trail Boss) and got the gun dialed in. He's never been a pistol aficionado and quickly found he didn't enjoy it, so he gave me the pistol and 200rds of reloads. I fell in love with the single-action and the .45 Colt.

About a month ago, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley stainless with a 5.5" barrel in .45 Colt to use for plinking and as my trail gun while riding horses, hunting, fishing, etc.

I planned to buy a mold for the heavier 300gr bullets and make my own "bear" loads. I bought the Lee C452-300-RF double cavity mold based on some recommendations from reloaders on another site.

So, I took my new Ruger out to the range and shot three different loads through it. The first two were commercial loads; HPR and Ultramax offerings in 250gr flavors. The third was my dad's reload. All three were soft shooting and seemed to do fine at the defensive 7yd line, but when I shot from the 25yd line, the differences were amazing. The commercial loads turned in decent 2" to 2.5" 5-shot groups. The reloads turned in amazing 1.25" and 1.5" groups. When unloading the pistol, I noticed that the fired cases had a large amount of black soot on the outside of them on one side. The commercial stuff was pretty bad, and the reloads were noticeably less so.

What is causing the excess soot on the cartridge cases? Is it some sort of indication that the bullet may be too small of a diameter? The reason I ask is because I can't find any information as to the specific bullet diameter used in the HPR and Ultramax ammo, but the bullets my dad used in his reloads are 250gr .455 diameter. I suspect the commercial loads use a more standard .451 or .452 diameter.

Which leads to the main question: How do I tell which bullet diameter will be optimal in my particular pistol? Just because it shot amazingly well with .455 diameter bullets, does that mean if I use .452 bullets that it will not perform as well? And what is causing that blackening of the cases?

My two .45 Colts:

RogerDat
09-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Have the cylinder bores checked for size, size bullet to match throat of cylinder. Search on cylinder throat size and you will find some information.

Soot is possibly from mild loads as well as fit. Load with more pressure will cause more expansion in the lead. See the threads with "soot" in the title from this search. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/google.php?cx=partner-pub-6216953551359885%3A1942134700&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=soot+on+brass&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

You can check the bullet is a snug fit by sliding one through each cylinder, fresh bullet each time. Fit should be snug without requiring too much pressure to feed it through. Dropping right through would be too small. Just an approx. check but can show if size is probably ok or too small by very much.

Idaho45guy
09-18-2016, 04:45 AM
Just checked the cylinder using the reloads and the commercial stuff and the commercial bullets are definitely snug and the .455 stuff is even more so... My caliper should be here next week, so I'll be sure to get an exact measurement of the throat. Thanks!

Blackwater
09-18-2016, 09:41 AM
I know we all live in an age when we want and pretty much expect pat answers for everything, and there ARE "general rules" that apply across a broad range of applications, at least generally, but there always seem to be exceptions in actual practice. And the only way to determine what your gun wants is to try whatever it is you're considering. ONLY ACTUAL SHOOTING will ever determine what works in any individual gun. Yes, general observations CAN provide a significant narrowing of those parameters we start out trying, but even so, the only way to affirm any tidbit of advice is correct FOR YOUR GUN is to go shoot some, and try it. All else is speculation and generalities. Proving it out on the range is really the ONLY final arbiter of what our guns want and need to do their best.

So just go test it and see. Then, you'll KNOW!

runfiverun
09-18-2016, 11:33 AM
the soot is nothing to worry about.
the ultramax load and the other load is under 15-K psi.
when you have pressures that low it's almost impossible for the case to seal against the chamber wall properly.
the Ruger will take more pressure the Cimarron won't.

mdi
09-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Roger that Rogerdat!. OP, reread Rogerdat's post. Cylinder throats are best measured with pin gauges or slugging (on occasion I've used "ball gauges" but those aren't as common as other methods). Calipers will give false readings/dimensions when trying to measure small internal diameters (cylinder throats). Personally, I prefer measurements to "drop through" "snug drop through" "push through" or "tight push through". Your "tight" may be sloppy loose to me (lifelong machinist/mechanic). I have been pretty successful shooting cast bullets sized to the same diameter as the cylinder throats.

gwpercle
09-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Soot is an indicator of low pressure.

As for bullet diameter , guns for the 45 Colt have been known to be all over the map. Bores can be as tight as .451 and as large as .454 depending on the make and age of the gun. Cylinder throats those can be tighter than the bore or much bigger .
You are going to have to do some careful measuring....then you can find out what to do. With some luck !
Gary

Idaho45guy
09-24-2016, 03:21 AM
Got my calipers today and measured the cylinder throats. They were all pretty consistently .4515 with one being .4510 and another being .4518.

The barrel... Was getting inconsistent readings significantly smaller than the throat; around .448 to .449. EDIT: Slugged the barrel and it is .4495...

I have two 100 ct boxes of Remington bullets from Midway that say on the label that they are .455 250gr slugs. I checked three of them with the calipers and all three were .4525. One box was still sealed and checked it and those bullets were the same .4525. Those were the bullets that my dad used in his reloads that my Ruger loves, so I guess my .452 mold should be just fine.

Still waiting to order a sizing die; have one for .452 all picked out and ready to order, was just waiting to check my cylinder throats and barrel before I pulled the trigger. I'm thinking that if the bullets that grouped the best were .4525 and my cylinder throat is .4515, then .452 should be just fine, right?

runfiverun
09-24-2016, 10:41 AM
close nuff.

Wayne Smith
09-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Yup, calipers are not the most accurate way to measure but previous success trumps.