PDA

View Full Version : RCBS mould

FISH4BUGS
09-17-2016, 10:18 PM
I just finished a Saturday night casting session with a 2 cavity RCBS 44-250KT swc mould. I have to say it casts wonderfully and the bullets fall out of the mould with a gentle tap. Over an hour or two (I didn't pay attention to when I started) I did some 300 keepers (by weight - I didn't count them).
The first four casts warmed the mould and after that it was pretty much steady pouring. Using the Bruce B speedcasting method, I pretty much emptied a 20 lb lee pot in maybe 2 hours max.
I wish RCBS would make a 4 cavity mould for casting. Output is important to get the most out of your time casting. Has anyone asked them if they might do that? If the quality can remain in the 4 cavity that exists in the 2 cavity, they could do some business.
I use Hensley & Gibbs moulds for almost everything. OK....yup...I admit it....I am a casting snob with H&G moulds. But......I never bought a 240+/-gr H&G because.... well, I had this RCBS and it was nice to cast with. I need to give credit where credit is due.
However, I think I will start to look for a 4 cavity H&G 250+/-gr swc bullet.
If I had a 4 cavity, instead of 300 bullets I would have had 600. One more casting session and I would be ready to size & lube. THAT is a big difference to me when I have a lot of calibers to cast and load for. Let's see.....380, 38, 357, 9mm, 44, 45acp.
My goal when I cast is to have at least 1000 cast, ready to be sized & lubed, load them and shoot from the closet. I usually load 1000 rounds of one caliber and then put them in the closet. 9mm got many more this year. I cast up some 4000 and loaded them up. Going shooting is like going to the grocery store - pick your goodies from the shelf!
I have 3 loads - 7, 8 and 9gr 231 all with this bullet. 44 mag is very pleasant to shoot with up to 9 gr, and will give 1000+ fps with a 250gr bullet. Plain base - no muss no fuss!
I just wish RCBS made a 4 cavity in this design. Sigh..........

shoot-n-lead
09-17-2016, 10:31 PM
It is a good looking bullet...

I have a brand new one in the box...never used it as I just have a hard time going away from the 429421. I hunt with my 44's...so it is hard for me to try something else when the one does all I ask of it.

country gent
09-17-2016, 10:41 PM
If you like that rcbs bullet and its still being made you might consider buying a second one and handles and casting both together in tandem. Its not quite as fast as a 4 cavity but not far off it either. One mould is setting cooloing while your filling the second. Saves a little time that way. And moulds with bigger bullets dont overheat and frost as bad

PS Paul
09-17-2016, 11:04 PM
RCBS makes wonderful molds and the drawback of only 2-cav designs has long been a source of disappointment for many of us.....
I've the same mold in 45 255KT and it's a terrific-shooting design, not to mention it's outstanding ease of use while casting.
You'll enjoy shooting 'em.

FISH4BUGS
09-18-2016, 11:52 AM
I have a brand new one in the box...never used it as I just have a hard time going away from the 429421.
Well as someone suggested, I might try having TWO RCBS 44-250KT swc moulds with handles. Care to sell it or trade for something? I prefer trading but cash works too.
Lots of goodies to trade....and even cash if that works!
Let me know.
Donald

lightman
09-18-2016, 01:00 PM
RCBS makes a good casting mold. You're not the first to wish they made a 4 cavity mold. Its hard to beat a H&G mold, I wish I had one for all the calibers that I cast for.

rintinglen
09-18-2016, 02:42 PM
If RCBS made 4 cavity molds, I doubt that I'd have ever bought anything else.
Since they don't, i have been fortunate enough to get molds by MP, NOE, and Accurate.