PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Bolt/Carrier Weight

StarMetal
10-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Guys,

I just made this device for my AR15, saved the $49 or whatever is costs. Go here: http://www.zediker.com/tubb/images/speedlock/slscws2.html

Joe

Johnch
10-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I bet it was not hard to do.

I may play around and make my self up one .

Did you use lead for the insert weight ?

Since they tell you the weight they sell , its not to hard to work something up

Post how your setup works

Johnch

StarMetal
10-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Well being they give the weight that's a no brainer. To answer your question, NO, I didn't fill my with lead, I left the insert solids, being one of their weights is stainless steel. I made my insert out of a high grade hardened bolt from an old Chevy. You can use a bolt from a Ford, but it won't be as high grage...har har har, just kidding. The thing is you have to get the insert the right lenght or it will interfer with the hammer. Also the flange on the end has to be the right size to clear the buffler retaining springloaded button. Also the flange thickness has to be dead on or your last shot bolt hold open mechanism won't function right. Last the rifle is not as easy to dissemble. They had the intallation procedure on that site I gave. I'm going to go out and test it now and see if my primers and brass looks better after firing.

Joe

StarMetal
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Well I test fired my AR15 with the steel insert and didn't notice alot of difference but some. So today I drilled the insert out as large as possible and retain strenght and filled it with lead, not bullet alloy, but lead. Then back to the range with three different loads, light, medium, and hot. Big difference. None of the primers were no ways near flat, in fact just a primer dimple and that's it. That's a big difference because even with normal factory loads an AR15 will flatten the primer pretty much. This showed that the insert slowed the action opening. Now for some range time off the bench to see if accuracy changed any.

By the way the lenght of the insert is critical, I had to trim it by 1/8 inch to keep from interferring with the hammer. Works fine now.

Joe

borg
11-04-2005, 03:30 AM
what is the final weight? I'm looking for something in the 4 oz area.
borg

StarMetal
11-04-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't know my final weight because I don't have anything that will weigh accurately withint the 3 to 5 oz range. Was thinking of taking it to the post office and have them weigh it for me.

Joe