PDA

View Full Version : 20 lbs of lead given to me today

ghh3rd
09-15-2016, 09:59 PM
My wife just gave me 'that look' because I am posting a picture of some lead that someone gave me today.

I met our daughters boyfriend for the first time a week or so ago during a birthday party for my son. My wife gave me 'that look' that day too, when I said "Hi - I'm Brittany's stepdad .. by the way... do you have any lead that you don't need?". Of course I told him that I ask everyone :-) That's when he said he's a commercial plumber and comes across lead sometimes and would save what he found.

I bumped into him at the gas station today and he handed me a plastic bag with just over 20 lbs of lead traps from a business he recently did some plumbing for. He pointed out the tin in it too.

Gosh I hope he's the one for her :-)

Randy

maxreloader
09-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the Lead-in-law!

NyFirefighter357
09-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Those are claw foot tub traps. I just melted 5 of them along with a length of 1.5" lead pipe & a couple of lead bends for toilets. I didn't know about any tin. Congratulations on the lead. Tell her he's a keeper!

scottfire1957
09-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Those are claw foot tub traps. I just melted 5 of them along with a length of 1.5" lead pipe & a couple of lead bends for toilets. I didn't know about any tin. Congratulations on the lead. Tell her he's a keeper!

See where the pipes are connected to the tubular trap? Those are soldered there, meaning tin.

Bookworm
09-16-2016, 05:33 AM
I have some plumbing pipe that looks like those, but nastier. Found it at a scrapyard. Also a pile of just pipe, with no joints.
I chopped out, with an axe, the tin-rich joints, to melt separately from the rest of the pipe. I'll mark it "tin-rich", and use it to sweeten a pot of lead when needed.
Buy your new Lead-in-law a beer, or soda, or sammich.

And take him shooting....

richhodg66
09-16-2016, 07:16 AM
Congrats on the Lead-in-law!

OK, that gave me a really good chuckle for early in the morning, thanks.

Went2kck
09-16-2016, 07:49 AM
My son does plumbing and took apart an old apt buildings lead plumbing. It was a lot to another guy wanted some so they split it. any way it was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket with ingots from a lymon mold. It sure did stink when it was burning off all the inside stuff to. I didn't know about the tin in the joints either. Just melted it right in the batch. but its ok it just sweetened the pot. Now I need to get going on the COWW I have sorted out in another 5 gallon bucket plus some sticky ones.

The lead in law was a good one.

OS OK
09-16-2016, 09:52 AM
When you go to the range and have a 'poopy' day, you'll remember what lead you made them out of.

PS...maybe he's a keeper, we'll have to see how much lead he can muster...there's other plumbers swimming in the sea.

Half Dog
09-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Well...if he can send me some lead too I'll vote for him being a keeper.

runfiverun
09-16-2016, 11:42 AM
I'd do the first melt far away from the house or you'll get the look plus about 20.
ooooh boy.

copdills
09-16-2016, 07:43 PM
SCORE best wishes