PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Customer Service SUCKS!!!!

6bg6ga
09-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I recently purchased a new in the box Lyman T-mag reloading press on ebay in July 3rd of this year. Came to me un-opened and as stated brand new. This press worked flawlesly up until I started putting some Tula primers in some REM and Win 38 cases and then snap the primer arm split out. I contacted Lyman Sept 2nd thru an email to their customer service dept and was told the primer are would be warrantied and that I should send them my name and address and they would send me out a new primer arm. Problem solved right? No, not at all. I answered the email and listed my name and address and waited with nothing happening in the mail box. Today I called 10 times and finally got thru to a lady by the name of Jackie and was told I needed to prove where I bought it in other words did I buy it from a dealer. I'm not happy with the response I got from them folks and at this point in time I will NEVER purchase another one of their products. I've never had a problem with RCBS or Dillon or for that matter ANY OTHER manufacturer. I mentioned in the note I sent them that I would mention this here on this forum so that people interested in their products could see their customer service sucks. A damn warrenty is a warrenty and it shouldn't make a difference if some guy bought out a closing reloading stores inventory or not in my opinion.

Kestrel4k
09-14-2016, 08:26 PM
That's odd, because of my experience with them; a Lyman .223Rem resizing die that must have been 40+ years old, from my late fathers' estate. The interior was a little rusty even after cleaning and promptly stuck a case. I sent it to them earlier this year after calling for a return authorization number - of course had no purchase receipt or paperwork of any kind - their service department removed the stuck case & polished the interior and sent it back no charge. Works like a champ now.

Not too many companies will refurbish a 40-year-old, essentially-abused part - no questions asked - and not even charge for return shipping. I only wish I could get that done to my Herter's dies. :)

salpal48
09-14-2016, 08:30 PM
I to Found Lyman To be top Notch for service and Repair. I have Older Lyman product and there service was very Good. . You can't Please all the people all the time

leeggen
09-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Six I have a lyman press and I don't use the press to install primers. So I have the primer set up off my press if you would send me a pic I think I can fix you up. Pm if you want up to you,it is not a tmag but it is a crusher, I think it is the same set up.
CD

jmorris
09-14-2016, 11:43 PM
I would call again, and again and again...

The hinge that squeaks gets the oil...

Or at some point, someone will get tired of talking to you and have someone else send you what you need.

Iowa Fox
09-15-2016, 12:01 AM
These folks definitely have some issues of providing product support that needs to be addressed. And I was in and around business for a long time before I retired. In 45 plus years of using their stuff I've never not once asked for a free replacement part, I just want to buy what I need. 99 percent of the time I even have the part number. I'm sure they get a lot of obnoxious dorks calling that don't know what they are doing but don't take it out on everyone.

6bg6ga
09-15-2016, 06:18 AM
What I sent Lyman Customer Service........................................... ...

Jackie,

I had purchased this NEW IN THE BOX Lyman T-Mag reloading press from a gentleman that goes under the name of grandnational 81 on ebay. I purchased this press on July 3rd 2016. Now, I do not have this persons name as I didn't keep the shipping info as I was satisfied it was just as advertised. The box came to me un-opened with all contents listed on the Lyman label. This gentleman sold 4 or 5 of these T-mag presses within a one to two week period of time. I'll save you the trouble of turning me down and make the assumption that Lyman will not honor the warranty on their product simply because I cannot prove I purchased it from a dealer. This is the second Lyman T-mag press I have purchased in the last 20 years with the first being the original "Orange" model. I will also point out that since I am NOT happy with the conversation I had with you I will NOT ever purchase another Lyman product period. I've never been asked by RCBS or Dillon to prove where I purchased their products they have simply honored their warranty. I was under the misconception that Lyman would also honor the warranty on their products. I would have thought that this new improved version of the Lyman T-mag II would have been able to prime more than 200 cases before it broke. I'm more than happy at this point in time to mention my conversation with Lyman service on the cast bullet forum that I frequent and this way the other members interested in Lyman products might think twice before purchasing them and instead opt for a different brand of reloading press and other equipment.

6bg6ga
09-15-2016, 06:22 AM
Six I have a lyman press and I don't use the press to install primers. So I have the primer set up off my press if you would send me a pic I think I can fix you up. Pm if you want up to you,it is not a tmag but it is a crusher, I think it is the same set up.
CD

Thanks for your offer but I will decline. I can afford another primer arm but its the idea that the lady I talked to didn't want to warranty it because I didn't purchase it from a dealer and I believe that is wrong.

Taylor
09-15-2016, 06:28 AM
My experience with Lyman....they just don't care.I'm having issues over a muzzleloader,the lady was rude,left 2 message's on the phone after being transfered.Sent an email,they will get to me in 2 weeks.

There is too many other options out there,than to have to deal with these people and their crappy attitude.

6bg6ga
09-15-2016, 06:30 AM
I to Found Lyman To be top Notch for service and Repair. I have Older Lyman product and there service was very Good. . You can't Please all the people all the time

I think some here are missing the point. I think a new in the box press should have a warranty regardless of where it came from. I'm irritated because the damn thing broke out the end of the primer arm trying to put primers in cases which were non- military. I think ANYONE here would feel the same way if they had the same circumstances and received no help. Its not that I cannot afford a $20 primer arm its the fact they won't back their product simply because I purchased it from a seller on ebay that probably bought a reloading stores inventory that was unused and since they aren't a "dealer" lyman won't warranty it.

6bg6ga
09-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Many here have commented on how good RCBS's customer support is. Many have commented on DILLON's customer support. We have their products we have experienced problems and they have taken care of the problems by backing their products. Why is it Lyman won't ?

6bg6ga
09-15-2016, 07:48 AM

Pictures of this press

Green Frog
09-15-2016, 07:49 AM
I have generally had good luck with the Lyman Service Department... the only hiccup I recall recently was when I ordered a new multi-caliber die to put powder through the mouth expander. Oddly enough, the die set lacked the insert I needed, the one for 32 S&W/H&R, but the paperwork included said it (along with other "odd" sizes) was available from their service department (!?!) Anyway, when I called, they told me there was no such thing until I gave them the part number from the paperwork they had sent me. I ordered a couple of them plus a couple of other small items, and other than the exorbitant shipping price they charged was satisfied with that particular transaction. Other transactions have been better, but this is just my experience, YMMV.

Froggie

6bg6ga
09-16-2016, 06:28 AM
I guess it takes some ******** to get the warranty taken care of from Lyman. Below is the response after I responded to her request for a receipt. It would seem that she changed her mind or her supervisor changed it for her.

I am sorry that you made the assumption we would not honor the warranty of your part on the press. Here at Lyman Products we are proud to stand behind our products and have all intensions of replacing your part for you whether you were able to provide the proof of purchase or not.
We always make an attempt to obtain a proof of purchase so we can track patterns or trends in faulty equipment. And based on how your press was purchased I would have assumed you had an emailed receipt from the seller for your press that was just purchased a few short months ago according to what you advised me.

I am sorry to hear that you will be sharing what you view as your negative experience that you had with us here. We had no intensions on trying to make this situation difficult for you.

I notice you still supplied your address and we will still have the part sent out and hope you still plan on using your Lyman press.

rototerrier
09-16-2016, 06:43 AM
I think it sometimes depends on who you make contact with. I had a similar issue with Lee, which also got worked out. I'm convinced I got a bad support rep. Maybe they are new and are still learning. It happens.

On the other hand, I got a bad barrel from Walther and it took a bbb complaint go get them to make good on their warranty. So I'd say don't give up on lyman just yet. It could have been far worse, like my Walther experience.

6bg6ga
09-16-2016, 06:54 AM
Your probably correct. .....but..... when I contacted Lyman on line threw their support window I wrote the nature of the defect and was answered and told to enclose my name and address in the reply portion which I did and this remained un=answered.

6bg6ga
09-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Lyman needs to make a decision in my opinion...if they use the on line window to communicate with owners of their products that are experincing problems then they should be willing to actually read the answers from the customers that have replied or if this cannot happen then close down the on-line method of communications and rely on the phone communication method. In my case I got a person that thought I had to be able to prove I purchased my T-mag from a Lyman dealer as per my communication with her on the phone. I was told that I needed to be able to provide the name of the person I purchased the press from so that they could see if this person was a dealer. Hey Lyman!! wake up. If someone purchased your product it shouldn't be necessary to prove anything. You made a product so stand behind your product.

sav300
09-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Have tied to purchase a Lyman 25# furnace,via phone and email Was given the run around ,then told to buy from Nioa (big distribitur? here in aus) so I called Nioa and was told none in stock and was told they have not had anything from Lyman for a t least a year.Still no Lyman furnace,but my LEE`S are still going strong.

6bg6ga
09-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Its down right amazing that I had to respond to her telling her that I frequent castboolits forum and told her I would be mentioning it here before she responded properly and will now honor the warranty which should have not gone under the microscope in the first place. It is my personal opinion based on a conversation with her that she would NOT have done anything for me. I pasted her response to me only removing my name. I should have recorded my conversation with her on the phone as that would have been very interesting to people here as her attitude was less than helpful. As for obtaining the wrong service person or a person having a bad day.... remove them from the service staff if they are incapable of doing their job correctly. I deal with people daily and have NEVER treated anyone incorrectly.

6bg6ga
09-16-2016, 07:29 AM
sav300Please do answer here outlining the model of Lyman product with the description of the product and your inability to obtain this product as I assume that since I mentioned this site with my response to Lyman customer service I would assume if they are worth their salt they will be reading this thread to see what people are saying and or thinking.

jmorris
09-16-2016, 10:51 PM
I guess it takes some ******** to get the warranty taken care of from Lyman.

Why I posted what I did in #5.

You can't say "Lyman..." when your problem was with Jackie.

Glad you reached out to someone else vs suffering in silence.

6bg6ga
09-17-2016, 06:16 AM
I posted my response to Jackie and just maybe some higher up there at Lyman might have gotten a hold of my email. Its down right amazing how she changed her tune. She originally told me they wouldn't warranty anything off ebay and then checked with her supervisor and came back and told me I needed to provide the sellers name so they could check and see if the seller was a dealer or not and if so they would honor the warrenty. My response to her must have caused some problems to have her come back and tell me that Lyman is proud of their products and they would stand by the warranty. Seems really strange the response I got. I actually like the Lyman press for small runs of up to 100 rounds where as it isn't necessary to change over the 650 to load that small amount. I do all my rifle brass on the Lyman T-mag. Getting back to Jackie again.....If I was her boss I would take her aside and explain how warranties work or fire her what ever makes the most sense. She needs a change in her attitude if they are going to have her deal with the public. If I even came close to her attitude when I deal with people on a daily basis I wouldn't have a job.

6bg6ga
09-17-2016, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately Jackie at this point in time still represents Lyman Customer Service so when I say Lyman customer service sucks I'm afraid I am still correct. Until I have the replacement part in my hand I'm not a happy camper. Another point..... I had originally contacted Lyman customer service thru their internet portal and the response I got was to provide my name and address OR call in my name and address and the part would be sent out. Almost two weeks went by after I had provided the necessary information on the reply portion of the email answer I had gotten from them and I received NO response after I sent them my name and address. Another point....they don't re-read their emails from their internet portal so why provide this?

Fordcragar
09-17-2016, 03:32 PM
I bought an used Lyman 450 Lube Sizer, and was looking for a few parts to rebuild it. So I contacted Lyman, through their on-line Customer Service Form on 8/23/2016 and got a ticket number; which hasn't been answered. I have a few other Lyman products and have been looking at a casting furnace. I might have to reconsider any future purchases from Lyman.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-17-2016, 04:33 PM
I don't prime cases with my presses and haven't in years but I did for a very long time. I started reloading in the 1950s and in those days the priming arm was made of steel. I still have one or two. I think the trouble started when they started making them out of pewter or whatever.

Iowa Fox
09-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Have tied to purchase a Lyman 25# furnace,via phone and email Was given the run around ,then told to buy from Nioa (big distribitur? here in aus) so I called Nioa and was told none in stock and was told they have not had anything from Lyman for a t least a year.Still no Lyman furnace,but my LEE`S are still going strong.

Parts for my Lyman Mag 20 was the straw that broke the Camels back. Stick with the Lees. Mine mine drip a little sometimes but I can get every single replacement part cheap in just a couple days that it takes to ship them. Plus the folks are pleasant while writing up the order.

jmorris
09-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Its down right amazing how she changed her tune.

I often think about the weeks, yes weeks, I spent dealing with the phone company about one of my land lines when I lived in the city. Talking to folks all across the Country getting bounced back and forth.

Fixed it one night, after a few drinks, and the first fellow that answered the phone asked how he could help me. I answered "Get your boss's boss on the phone." He responded, "Can you at least give me a try?"

He did in two minutes what no one else (well over 20 men and women) did in more than two weeks. Don't give up on "people", there are still good ones out there.

Also a good time to add, don't shut down on people just because you are not having a good day.

I had to be reminded of both at the same time.

Don't remember his name but I am guessing Justin, time.

HangFireW8
09-18-2016, 12:42 AM
6bg6ga,

I understand your frustration and completely support your right to vent. Fortunately, for whatever reason, Lyman is now standing behind their product. I had to jump through a few hoops to sort out a recently issue with Lyman products, a new Mag 25 (which turned out to be OK) and a bad dial thermometer, and yes I dealt with Jackie, and others there. In the end my equipment got sorted out and I got another thermometer, which was accurate.

I have come to view Lyman as a small step above Lee- usually good, economical products, but more concerned about mass production and the stresses of being a relatively small company riding the wave of 8 years of panic buying. Because the products are cheaper I don't expect the slavish customer support found at Dillon and RCBS.

I think I have a bit of insight because I and several other family members have worked in machine shops (which Lyman Products is, they also have a non-reloading oriented production shop). If you look at their address Google Street View you'll see a permanent sign with changeable shingles under Help Wanted with the list for July 2015 being Assembly, Shipping, CNC Operator and Summer Help.

That's the way it is in Machine Shops- high turnover, and always looking for people who can handle the pressure. There's really no patience for handling customer's retail customer service expectations. Most Machine Shop to Customer interactions are Business to Business: short, factual and gruff- does the work meet the specs, is the drawing representative of the expectations, etc. Retail customers like us get force-fit into this mold. Either you present a problem clearly with data, with a clear and reasonable solution in mind and the flexibility to accept their solution, or you get treated like a Special Snowflake who is unlikely to be pleased, so why bother?

And I'll say it again- I've always gotten good service from Lee, and Lyman, and Hornady- but not always on the first try. :lol:

Fordcragar
09-18-2016, 01:21 AM
..............................And I'll say it again- I've always gotten good service from Lee, and Lyman, and Hornady- but not always on the first try. :lol:
That's great, but if your first time contacting them and you get no reply, then you just wonder if this is a company that you want to deal with. I have other Lyman products; which I haven't had any problems with, so I didn't need to contact them. I appreciate your comments and might give them another try this next week.

I had another similar encounter with Winchester; which turned out the same, contacting them through their customer service mail system, no response. That was over 4 months ago, with no response.

tradbear55
09-18-2016, 09:29 AM
I will not buy Lyman products anymore after my negative experience with customer support. I needed a replacement part for a mold that I have, so I emailed them. 1 month later and no response. Emailed again, 2 weeks then a response. I offered to buy the part but was told they would just send it. They asked for my mailing address, I sent it and 2 months later and 3 more attempts by email and I still don't have the part. I guess I'll take my business elsewhere.

rototerrier
09-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I've found rcbs and hornady to be equal with extremely good support. Lee can be a hassle. I'll steer clear from lyman now that I know. Thanks for sharing. Clear to me now that Lyman doesn't have anything I need that I can't get from rcbs or hornady except bad service. Unfortunately none of this will have any impact on them.

Tar Heel
09-18-2016, 09:13 PM
These posts are pointless. Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up.

retread
09-18-2016, 09:32 PM
After some frustration with other suppliers, I have vowed to buy only Dillon and RCBS. Both honor their warrantees (or in the case of Dillon, the NO BS guarantee). Now if I have a problem I just call and a free part comes in the mail. :D

6bg6ga
09-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Tar Heel, Occasionally people like yourself feel a need to express their opinions with out fully understanding the thread. I hope you understand the meaning of a warranty and the warranty as stated by Lyman. They advertise a warranty and as such they should be expected to stand behind it.

6bg6ga
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm still not holding my breath on the possibility of a replacement part arriving in my mail box. The answer I received is simply an attempt to back peddle to save face. If Lyman were smart they would adopt a policy like RCBS and Dillon with respect to who owns it and how long the product has been owned. Its simple economics in my opinion.... you serve the customers that purchase your products.....these customers remain happy and faithful and purchase more of the products you sell. In my case like I mentioned I was the first owner and the item was purchased by me in July and has been used for two months. I have been treated very good by RCBS and Dillon and as a result I will pay more for their products if needed simply to have that kind of quality customer support and service. I'm not bothered if I have to pay a little more shipping cost for a product to arrive. Regardless of what Lyman does or does not do for me I will turn to different companies in the future to purchase the same products I would have purchased from Lyman. My point in starting this thread is to point out the lack of communication and the lack of customer service with respect to lyman and to point out there are other companies out there willing to respond quickly and respectfully to their customers. If you do not agree then respectfully I would suggest that you skip answering this thread.

EDG
09-18-2016, 10:45 PM
That is the old New England east coast backward retarded management mentality. You will notice that companies have been leaving that region in droves. The only way to get rid of that sorry culture in a company is to shut it down, move it and replace everyone.

Old management practice is the old way of doing business if you plan on going out of business.
Those conditions are contract law. All those conditions are worthless if they result in your customer never coming back.
The public demands better service than the BS written by lawyers and paid for by disconnected executives.
It is a given that the lawyers know nothing about reloading and reloaders. These days it is probably true that Lyman's own executives know nothing about it either. We recycle stuff. We hate wasting anything. We also hate throwing away money on carppy products.
Do you remember the guy that negotiated the deal between the govt and Smith and Wesson that nearly broke S&W? The last I heard he was running the Murray lawn mower company. He probably does not mow lawns either.

These posts are pointless. Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up.

6bg6ga
09-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Forgot to mention Redding in my rants. I purchased their .223 die set and experienced a problem and broke the decapping retainer. I got on their website they answered my email and promply sent out a replacement part with no questions asked. I sent them a nice thank you for their attention to customer problems and was told their goal was to make their customers happy so they would return and purchase more products. I also receive one of their catalogs with the replacement part.

pcmacd
09-20-2016, 08:22 PM
When Iget boneheads like that on the phone, I politely tell them that they might consider finding a job that they _actually enjoy_. They never fail to cut the connection. Who cares? They were not doing me any good anyway. I just call back and FIND A PERSON WHO LOVES THEIR JOB.

I have occasionally written management when a person is so far off scale as to be an embarrassment to the company, but just as often, I figure they are soo off the charts that surely, SOME LOVELY SOUL WILL RAT THEM OUT, and save mesef the trouble of a stamp!

pcmacd
09-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Redding has been particularly awesome. So has LEE, for that matter. They do OK by email, but phone calls have always solved my problems. RCBS? Geez. They rock! I had a tumbler barrel go bad. I enquired as to what adhesive I should use to get it back together, and they sent me a new barrel. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE. I ought to know. I answered the phone at Hewlett-Packard and a spinoff of the original instrument business, Agilent Technolgies for 25 years. I know good service when I see it.

ShooterAZ
09-20-2016, 08:31 PM
I won't purchase from Lyman any more either. I have had my share of bad customer service from them too. It's really too bad, because I think they have a lot of fine products that I could use.

HangFireW8
09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
So Lyman is run by executives and lawyers now? Wow this thread is off the rails!

6bg6ga
09-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Lyman said they would send out the primer arm but I haven't seen it yet and I'm still not holding my breath. If it isn't in my mail box by friday then a week will have passed and they have no intention of sending me anything.

mold maker
09-21-2016, 11:28 AM
I've dealt with Lyman CS on a couple occasions and had both kinds of service. Jackie was knowledgeable and solved my problem over the phone. Her promised part took a while to arrive, but it did indeed.
As far as a warranty goes, If you buy a product NEW, it shouldn't matter from whom. It was either sold by the Mfg or stolen. In either case, the end consumer has the right to expect service when needed. That is part of the price of doing business.

gwpercle
09-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Next time you are looking for a new press and decent customer service, check out CH4D , Dave Davidson has some SWEET reloading presses and A-1 customer service.
CH4D dies are the best in my book.
Gary

Bullwolf
09-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Maybe a bit off subject, but an RCBS universal priming arm will also work in the T-mag and T-mag II presses.

I have a few of both, since I like to leave 2 set up (1 large and 1 small primer) rather than play change around with a hex wrench whenever I need to swap primer sizes on the T-mag Or Rock Chucker.

I once broke, well cracked at least the RCBS aluminum universal primer arm, right at the pivot hole on my Rock Chucker press. It still seemed to work, but it bugged me. RCBS happily mailed me another one for free, but I had already bought a replacement from the local fun store.

Sorry about your experience with Lyman's Customer service. I haven't needed it myself yet, knock on wood. Other than ordering (buying) a Lyman plastic primer catch once a while back, I can't recall ever having dealt with Lyman over the phone.

- Bullwolf

warf73
09-22-2016, 03:55 AM
I haven't bought anything Lyman is over 15 years because of there CS. But have spent countless thousands on RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Lee since that time, there loss not mine.

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 05:23 AM
I've dealt with Lyman CS on a couple occasions and had both kinds of service. Jackie was knowledgeable and solved my problem over the phone. Her promised part took a while to arrive, but it did indeed.
As far as a warranty goes, If you buy a product NEW, it shouldn't matter from whom. It was either sold by the Mfg or stolen. In either case, the end consumer has the right to expect service when needed. That is part of the price of doing business.

I bought mine off ebay and paid good money for the new in the box press. I believe that I certainly deserve the same warranty as anyone else. Unused still sealed box with new press ought to equal a new warranty. If Lyman doesn't feel like they want to back their products then two possibilities come to my mind either quit advertising a warranty or quit selling a product. I've never had a problem with Dillon or RCBS never been asked in RCBS's case when I purchased their product or how long I've had an item. Its just give me your name and address and we will send out a new part with no questions. I did give RCBS some numbers off a set of carbide dies only to have the customer service guy ask me if I have owned them over 30 years with me answering yes to the question. Being that I have zero patience and zero tolerance I expect some reasonable service when I call into customer service and I believe I have the right to it because after all I spent my money on their product.

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 05:27 AM
I haven't bought anything Lyman is over 15 years because of there CS. But have spent countless thousands on RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Lee since that time, there loss not mine.

If it weren't for the fact that I just bought it back in July I would probably let it go down the road. I guess that and the fact that I like the feel of it for doing small batches of pistol and rifle brass instead of setting up the Dillon 650 for the task. I may however still let it go down the road in the future because this experience has me wondering about any future warranty problems that might arise.

mozeppa
09-22-2016, 07:01 AM
after looking at the old arm....me thinks i'd make one out of solid steel...not pot metal.

but that's just me.

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 07:25 AM
If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm.

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 07:27 AM
I like the CH4 presses. I just wish there was a little more leverage. That is the nice thing about the T-mag press.

Randy C
09-22-2016, 09:07 AM
When it comes to reloading equipment that I bought used I always tell them I will be glad to pay, 50% of the time they send it free with extra parts for the next time I break it, on new equipment I do the same if they say its not under warranty I'm ;( but I move on, every time I purchase something new it reflects my decision on who to buy from.. I still buy the product that I'm wanting at the time Knowing I may not get the service I always want. I have noticed some company's tend to disappoint me quicker than others. They are all short handed. I always look at the what this cost them with all the old equipment out there and Machining cost, and I know they have to deal with some Idiots and they may be having a bad day, I think dealing with the public on a large scale that expects everything free would harden you, and buy the end of the week you could be wanting to hurt some one, let alone do it day in and out, or even for years. In the end we hope they do the wright thing and continue to help people that need help and training with there new hobby. I hope they get your parts to you, I didn't mention names for a reason.:coffeecom

Jackpine
09-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Let me start by saying that I am no big Lyman fan. I will buy RCBS over anyone else, whenever I can, because I think their products and customer service is superior. I am often frustrated by the norm of what is often mediocre customer service in todays world. However, thinking that because you make a good stink, you should get something covered for free, when something does not fall under warranty, just because you think you should get what you want, is probably one of the reasons why companies have cut back on being overly generous.

You state in your opening post that they asked where you purchased the press. You made the assumption that they would not cover the part under warranty. Had you answered the post, and your purchase was the first retail purchase, problem solved. If that was not the case, they may have covered it anyway, but now we will never know.

Here is the warranty wording:

Warranty/Repair Policy

Your Lyman Product has been produced under rigid standards of manufacture and inspection. However, if your Lyman product is found to be defective in material or workmanship within one year of delivery to the first retail purchaser, we will repair or replace it without charge.

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get a good deal, and as stated, I appreciate companies that go above and beyond. When we get great customer service, we should tell everyone, but when a company simply wants to follow their written warranty, I don't think they should get a bad wrap. It is only an assumption, but Lyman may being trying to protect their dealers. The Internet is changing lots of things, and time will tell how it shakes out, but this may be an example of what is good or bad. Again, maybe the seller was an actual dealer, and there would have been warranty coverage, but Lyman was never given the chance to respond. You can argue all you want that you think they should change their policies, but when I don't like a companies policies, I just avoid their products.

I am sure folks, especially the OP will flame me, and I will admit that this could have been handled differently, but the bottom line is when you don't follow the written rules, don't expect to get something for nothing.

Jackpine

ps Like I said earlier, buy RCBS

Geezer in NH
09-22-2016, 05:22 PM
I have a hard time trying to pay RCBS for parts needed. I tell them I found a press and need whatever please send me the parts for it here is my CC # they WILL NOT charge me stating the parts are on the way.

That is customer service done the right way. :2_high5:

I buy Their stuff before all others. Love their die sets even if more expensive.

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Let me start by saying that I am no big Lyman fan. I will buy RCBS over anyone else, whenever I can, because I think their products and customer service is superior. I am often frustrated by the norm of what is often mediocre customer service in todays world. However, thinking that because you make a good stink, you should get something covered for free, when something does not fall under warranty, just because you think you should get what you want, is probably one of the reasons why companies have cut back on being overly generous.You state in your opening post that they asked where you purchased the press. You made the assumption that they would not cover the part under warranty. Had you answered the post, and your purchase was the first retail purchase, problem solved. If that was not the case, they may have covered it anyway, but now we will never know. Here is the warranty wording:Warranty/Repair Policy Your Lyman Product has been produced under rigid standards of manufacture and inspection. However, if your Lyman product is found to be defective in material or workmanship within one year of delivery to the first retail purchaser, we will repair or replace it without charge. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get a good deal, and as stated, I appreciate companies that go above and beyond. When we get great customer service, we should tell everyone, but when a company simply wants to follow their written warranty, I don't think they should get a bad wrap. It is only an assumption, but Lyman may being trying to protect their dealers. The Internet is changing lots of things, and time will tell how it shakes out, but this may be an example of what is good or bad. Again, maybe the seller was an actual dealer, and there would have been warranty coverage, but Lyman was never given the chance to respond. You can argue all you want that you think they should change their policies, but when I don't like a companies policies, I just avoid their products.I am sure folks, especially the OP will flame me, and I will admit that this could have been handled differently, but the bottom line is when you don't follow the written rules, don't expect to get something for nothing.Jackpineps Like I said earlier, buy RCBSI believe I satisfied Lymans conditions since I am the first purchaser. Expecting something for nothing? I don't think so but I do expect the darn thing to hold together for more than two months. I should probably mention that Lyman did answer my internet request for service/service ticket and told me "Yes it was covered and to call in with my name and address. Unfortunately like I mentioned they dropped the ball after that. You probably consider my answer a flame and so be it. I do have to right to expect prompt service just like anyone else and warranty since I was the first retail purchaser and last but not least that their products should not break within a two month time period.

trapper9260
09-22-2016, 05:26 PM
If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm. The RCBS will fit ok I found that out myself I have the older T Press and had broke some arms. I see that the RCBS will wok ok on the T press

6bg6ga
09-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Received an email saying the part has been shipped. Was that so hard?

avogunner
09-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Ditto....

Jackpine
09-22-2016, 09:10 PM
If the entity you bought it from on Ebay was a dealer, then you were the first retail buyer and all that needed to be done was supply Lyman with the info and all the hassle would have been avoided.

Like Tar Heel said "Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up."

Jackpine

happy7
09-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Well I haven't purchased anything from Lyman for over 5 years due to lousy quality control and worse service, but judging from some who have posted on this thread they are at least giving good service sometimes, which amazes me. Comparing this thread with my memory of similar threads on here a few years ago, it seems like their service must be improving, cause it was all negative then.

6bg6ga
09-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Received my part like I should have in the first place. Its amazing that you can purchase something new and get the run around from their customer service even after satisfying the conditions of their warranty. Another thing is some of the moronic replies from fellow members.

Strtspdlx
09-23-2016, 08:17 PM
I had a similar bad experience with Lyman about sending in some sentimental molds I inherited to see about getting them repaired. Unfortunately I emailed them through their support window on the Website several times with no response in 7 months. On the phone I was told they wouldn't be able to stop the production line and retool for a mold they "most likely" didn't make anymore. Which is funny because I had told her several times the mold numbers and surprisingly they do still make them. The response I recovers from that was they don't refurbish molds. I wouldn't say I was upset necessarily at the price quoted to "look at" either mold. At 129$ per hour. But I figured it was a bit on the high side. Needless to say after my experience with them I'll likely not buy their product. There's too many other options and as was stated by the other posters I've never had problems with brands like Lee or rcbs. And in all honesty my favorite molds are all rcbs and my favorite pot and reloading dies are Lee and my favorite press is my Dillon. I've had excellent customer service experiences with them so I won't hesitate to purchase their products unless they give me a reason too.

leeggen
09-23-2016, 09:13 PM
I broke the decapping pin on my Lyman die and sent email to them with name address and ph. number, next day they called me to see which parts I did need. They shipped out a couple days later and the bill sent with the parts stated no charge. They also sent the whole rod plus 5 pins extra. Guess I am the exception to the rule.
CD

Shiloh
09-28-2016, 06:36 PM
YES IT DOES!!

I have called on a few different occasions. The phone rings forever, gives yo a choice, and they say no one is currently there.

Sed a question in to them on there email?? Forget it. They give you a work order to fill and you check back on the status.
It says closed if the question isn't answered. I gave up after about a month.

It wasn't always that way.

Shiloh

Shiloh
09-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Not too many companies will refurbish a 40-year-old, essentially-abused part - no questions asked - and not even charge for return shipping. I only wish I could get that done to my Herter's dies. :)

RCBS will. Did an ancient 30-30 die for me. from 1968 IIRC.

Shiloh

sukivel
09-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Yes they suck. My Lyman digital scale did not read out properly, with only half of the segments lighting up. I sent it to them and they sent it back telling me it works just fine. I would also weigh the same bullet 10 times and get 8 different readings. It went into the trash and I bought the cheap Frankford Arsenal and it works perfect.

gwpercle
09-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Received my part like I should have in the first place. Its amazing that you can purchase something new and get the run around from their customer service even after satisfying the conditions of their warranty. Another thing is some of the moronic replies from fellow members.
First I was deplorable now I'm moronic...lets all be nice !
Gary

6bg6ga
09-30-2016, 06:32 AM
QwpercleI never called you deplorable or moronic. I looked thru the last 4 pages here. You have to admit there are some rather stupid replies on this thread and if that bothers you then don't waste your time answering. It is amazing that you had to wait almost a week to make your last post on this thread. As I have pointed out Lymans customer service sucks. They dropped the ball period and if you and some others don't like what I posted you have the option not to answer. As for some of the answers ...some are moronic in nature and thats my opinion. I didn't single ANYONE out.

No Blue
10-12-2016, 06:27 PM
If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm.

You could do that with a hacksaw, files, and a drill in an hour; you don't need a Bridgeport. I know, because I used to make stuff like that by hand and now I got the Bridgeport.

Lyman, Redding, Forester, all of those old East Coast guys are pretty old school when it comes to the "customer knows best" unlike the Midwest and left coast guys, that will accept almost any kind of owner abuse and pass the cost onto the rest of their customers....

6bg6ga
10-12-2016, 06:58 PM
Dude, I also can and have made stuff by hand. I'd rather make it on a bridgeport and challenge myself to obtain a tolerance as small as possible. Its kinda like buying a Cadillac and knowing you can get around in a Ford.

No Blue
10-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Dude, I also can and have made stuff by hand. I'd rather make it on a bridgeport and challenge myself to obtain a tolerance as small as possible. Its kinda like buying a Cadillac and knowing you can get around in a Ford.

Just duplicate what Lyman did, don't need anything better. Other than better material....

You just need to understand what's important and not. But from this thread, I'm guessing that's not your strong point....and Bridgeport is always capitalized. Dude.

6bg6ga
10-13-2016, 06:34 AM
I guess I can't expect much from a poster with 19 posts under their belt. Dude, I have more hours at a bridgeport or any other Mill than 90-95% of the people here. I did Proto Lab work for a while when I worked in the factory as well as being a quality control inspector and supervisor. As for not understanding ......it doesn't seem to be your strong point either or you wouldn't have run your mouth. If your posts are any example of what is to come I'll put you on my ignore list early.

EMC45
10-13-2016, 02:55 PM
I too have benefited from RCBS and Hornady CS before. I have called Lyman over the phone and had a woman answer and she was not very polite and kind of rude. I am a grownup and can handle rude people, however I would think you wouldn't want the first person answering the company phone to represent the company in such a manner. Lee was similar with very short and curt responses and the feeling I was bothering them.

RCBS.....Now they have gone above and beyond in their CS. My brother found a RC2 press I think it was, in someones yard. Rusted solid. Ram was toast, as was the die insert and every other blued steel part on the press. I called RCBS and described in detail what I had and what I wanted to do and he jotted it all down and sent all the parts out free of charge, no questions asked. They have also fixed my issues (that I created as a new reloader) multiple times over the phone, with parts shipped the next day. They make excellent reloading gear and I will continue to use them. They are also very nice to deal with on the phone.

I was given an old Pacific scale and powder dispenser some years ago. The scale was missing the pan, so I called Hornady. The guy I talked to on the phone was very polite and understanding. He assured me I had a good scale, but no powder pan. He said give me your address and I will mail one to you. I think I have one around here I can dig up. Sure enough I got it in the mail a few days later. Good deal. I like companies that will stand by their stuff no matter what.

No Blue
10-14-2016, 07:41 PM
If you actually did what you claim, QC and that, you'd know which dimensions are important. But you don't appear to know that, so I guess you're stroking us. Let the rest of the forum decide for themselves. I'm OK with that. Look at that priming arm and see what you need to do make another one of better material. It's not hard.

The number of posts don't mean squat, you think somebody that's 60, with 40 years experience and few posts, is going to be dumber than a 25 year old with 4,000 posts? Probably not. All a bunch of posts indicates is lots of time to post. Takes lots of time to monitor the forums and post, I don't have that much energy for that....

Go ahead and put me on an ignore list, I can handle that.

6bg6ga
10-14-2016, 08:47 PM
If you actually did what you claim, QC and that, you'd know which dimensions are important. But you don't appear to know that, so I guess you're stroking us. Let the rest of the forum decide for themselves. I'm OK with that. Look at that priming arm and see what you need to do make another one of better material. It's not hard. The number of posts don't mean squat, you think somebody that's 60, with 40 years experience and few posts, is going to be dumber than a 25 year old with 4,000 posts? Probably not. All a bunch of posts indicates is lots of time to post. Takes lots of time to monitor the forums and post, I don't have that much energy for that....Go ahead and put me on an ignore list, I can handle that.Son, your certainly not worth my time to comment further on the BS you posted here.

VHoward
10-14-2016, 09:52 PM
You just did.

No Blue
10-15-2016, 12:06 AM
You just did.

Thank you for pointing that out....and look, you only have 1,618 posts; obviously you can't have anything worth while to add with that low of a post count...

6bg6ga
10-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Blue you come in here trying to tell me how to make a part and telling me to capitalize the word Bridgeport. Son, I spent thousands of hours running them as well as other mills and lathes during the course of the time I spent working in a factory. I ran equipment that was made in the 40's and 50's and should have been sent to the scrap yard years before I ran them. Everything I ran was badly worn and the operator had to learn how much slop there was in each machine and they were all different. There were no CNC mills or lathes where I worked and to be truthful I was never trained to use CNC and being "old school" don't like them. Yes, I realize I can make this simple part by hand but due to my age I fantasize making the part on a and pay attention to this I will capitalize the name Bridgeport. I always enjoyed each and every time I've started up a Bridgeport or for that matter a LeBlond lathe and began a setup for an operation. Telling someone that you doubt that they are capable of running a machine like this or questioning if a person did in fact have the experience they claim in kinda questionable. As far as what anyone here on the forum thinks of me I really don't give a rat's *** and you if given time will realize the few that come out of the woodwork to start trouble or to add their little snippy comments. Now, I probably shouldn't even have made this thread and wouldn't if I hadn't been so ticked off with the damn thing breaking while I was trying to seat 90+ primers in some 38 cal cases. I didn't get along good with the lady at Lyman. I didn't like her attitude and this was the primary reason to start this thread so I could point out Lyman's attitude so others here might question their choice to purchase a Lyman product or for that matter make sure they could prove that who ever they purchased their Lyman product from was indeed a bona fide
Lyman dealer. I will apologize for making the low post comment and I won't expect you to believe I am capable and actually have the experience as stated. I for one will know the 25+ years that I ran mills, lathes, and every other machine found in a production environment as well as graduating to quality control as a plant inspector and later a QC supervisor until the plant closed and then taking up yet another line of work.

chloe123
10-15-2016, 11:41 AM
The tone of the reply is toxic. Threatening to discredit them if you don't get what you want is not the best strategy. You may need assistance from them in the future apart from the fact that people don't really want to do something extra for someone when the best they can hope for is not being maligned. Plus, if you're gonna take the time to write them about a complaint, know what you're goals are--'what do you want?'. I read your transcript a few times and I still don't know what you're asking them to do. Apart from what You are going to do--not buy from them in the future, buy from competitors, and talk about your negative experience on this forum. Which is pretty flattering to CastBoolits. Your banking on the power of this forum to sway Lyman's customer service in your favor.

You cant really blame them for asking for a receipt and questioning where you got it. Proclaiming you bought it from grandnational81, off eBay , and that he just sold 5 in the last week, weakens your claim. Who knows where this guy gets his inventory. Savvy people buy knockoffs , close outs, returns, for negotiated amounts and resell them to profit. You gotta wonder how he's able to consistently sell under low price of all other retailers.

I elected to write as this isn't just a matter of interacting with Lyman. It's about how to interact with people, especially when they're part of a community that's supporting your hobby.

Duckiller
10-15-2016, 03:35 PM
You bought it on E-bay. It was Used! GOK how many people had owned it before you. Do you expect a new car warrenty for a used car. Only the first buyer get a new warrenty after the first sale it is used opened or not. RCBS warrenty is great but I would buy their products without it because they work and last. Lyman products that I own do the same. Some Lyman products that I have bought usd=ed were missing parts and I had to buy replacements from Lyman. No big deal. Have had less than great customer service from Dillion but it is not a reason to attack them. You broke a small part. Buy a new one and move on.

Engineer1911
10-15-2016, 05:50 PM
My 1974 model Lyman 450 sizer had a linkage breakdown on Monday, 10-10-16. I went on line, found a current parts schematic, ordered the parts I needed. The mailman delivered them 10-15-16. I received a complete Lyman owner's booklet and product DVD in the package. It took less than 5 minutes to install the new handle linkage. I cannot be happier with Lyman's electronic order process.

I guess I missed a real treat by not talking to a living person in Customer Service at Lyman.

6bg6ga
10-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Yes, I bought it from a seller on ebay and it was NEW in the box.