PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Tip for all of the other Newbies - It works for me.

iGeocacher
09-13-2016, 10:28 PM
I've enjoyed reading the posts here and first found the site when seeking subsonic load data. Back in the "good old days" when men were men and we all used film in our cameras, I had my own darkroom. One thing doing my own color printing taught me was that the key to success with many processes is mainly consistency. In particular, controlling the process temperature and timing the same way every time was key. That seems to hold true in boolit casting as much as in that other hobby. I've read about all of the trouble folks seem to have when starting out with casting and I almost feel guilty (NOT!) because I've had so very little. So I thought I'd pass along a couple of tips that have seemed to really contribute to my early success as nearly as I can tell.

1. I use Lee molds, mainly because of the economics but as an engineer, once I had them, I could really appreciate the design as well. They do good stuff, IMO.

2. I followed the instructions to the letter, especially the part about cleaning and prepping a new mold. I clean and brush (soft bristle) the new mold all over the metal parts with Acetone to remove any oils. Then I "smoke" the mold faces and cavities with a butane lighter. I used kitchen matches before trying the lighter as the better option and found it was much easier using the lighter. But both work. On the first heating of the mold resting on top of the pot (see below) I use a bit of Permatex aluminum anti-seize compound (any auto parts store should have it) on the hinge and alignment pins as directed. Per their recommendation I do NOT use ANY mold release spray or agent besides the "smoke" film.

Again, these are LEE molds. I followed THEIR instructions. Your molds may differ but carefully follow the manufacturers instructions for first time use.

3. I use a Lee 10 pound pot set on about #7. I set the mold on top of the pot while it is heating.

4. My secret weapon for consistency is an infrared thermometer from Harbor Frieght tools. I believe it is made by CENTECH and typically runs around $25-$29 though I've seen it on sale for $19 from time to time. I point the laser aiming dot at the top side of black sprue plate of the mold (shiny surfaces don't read IR well) and don't even try to cast the first boolit until it reads about 275 degrees. I arrived at this by my early trials and reading of casting in the Lee loading manual and instructions. I found that when my boolits started nicely filling out and with nice shine, the sprue plate of the mold typically reads near 300 degrees F. As you continue to cast and drop boolits, the mold gets hotter and you'll start to get that frosty surface as well as some smearing of the lead on the top of the mold as you shear the sprue off the boolits. Typically the sprue plate shoots about 350-375 degrees at this point. I usually either slow down, grab a cool drink, or just let the mold cool a bit on the top of the pot while fetching boolits out of the quench bucket to put on a towel to dry. When the mold gets back down to around 300 degrees (just takes a few minutes of rest) I start another round of casting. Keeping the mold between 300-350 degrees (as measured shooting the sprue plate top) seems to be the sweet spot for me with the lead I'm using.

One additional note: Those temps sound low to me given the melting point of lead. But then again, IR thermometers are a bit tricky in that they have a "field of view" that isn't always that precise so you are picking up other temps in the cone of the IR sensor that can skew the reading. The key is to do it consistently. I do note that if you point the IR thermometer a the top of the lead in the pot it reads 700-odd degrees but the pot is a much larger target than the sprue plate which is only about an inch wide. I lift the mold OFF the pot typically to "shoot" the sprue plate with the IR thermometer. Otherwise, if you just "shoot" the mold with the molten pot of led in the background you will get a much HIGHER temperature. So just bear in mind that the IR thermometer is reading the temp in it's view cone which may be 10 or so degrees wide. The laser aiming dot is merely at the center of this cone and when holding the thermometer about 8-10 inches away the sprue plate will not fill the view of the cone in all likelihood. But if you hold it the same way and shoot the same way you can achieve CONSISTENCY, even if your numbers with your equipment differ somewhat from mine.

Now your temps may vary depending on your mold and thermometer but the main point to take away from this (IMHO) is that when you find the temp range that works, stick with it. I took a brand new mold that hadn't been broken-in, prepped it, and used this technique and cast about 110 boolits to get 100 nearly perfect. Really, another five of the 10 "rejects" would have been fine but I'm having such good luck that I'm getting picky ;-)
Now I haven't added Brinell testing of my alloy into the process control mix yet but I plan to.

My lead is reclaimed shot I purchased from Rotometals. They sell 50 pounds (two 25 pound bags) for about $69 and if you order two sets of two to get your order over $100 the shipping is free. So for $138 I got a 100 pounds of scrap shot. After melting it down, de-slagging, fluxing with candle wax and sawdust I ended up with about 88-90 pounds (digital bathroom scale) in 1 pound ingots. So that ballparks at about $1.50/pound which isn't bad for not having to scrounge and delivered to your door. I didn't add any tin, antimony or anything to the alloy and it seems to be medium hard. It's definitely not soft lead because I tried to slug my barrel with a piece and couldn't. I was able to do it easily with some sinker lead out of my fishing box which is much softer so I'm assuming whatever the alloy is that is use for the reclaimed shot is significantly harder than pure lead.

All of which is to say that I might have been "lucky" to get some lead in an alloy that gives me good mold fill but I also think a BIG part of that is temperature control and initial mold prep when they come out of the box for the first time. When I pay attention to temperature, especially on starting from the warm-up, I get wonderful results. I've done several different sets of Lee molds now in both two and six boolit varieties and the same technique works with either type.

Who knows, my next batch of lead might not be so good but I'm about a third of the way through this batch and the results have been stellar for a newbie to the casting game. I hope this help someone. If it does, pay it forward for the next newbie ;-)

Lead Fred
09-13-2016, 10:41 PM
Thats one heck of a tip

A lead tester is a darn cool tool to have. Ive got one made by Saeco.
The other day I had some miss labeled ingots. I brewed up some boolits to test, and found that the 15brn, was really 8brn. Added a few ingots, and came out right at 15.

Bzcraig
09-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Great post and certainly not just for newbie's!

OS OK
09-14-2016, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Geo. Sounds like with your engineering background you have a running start in this business, good for you. You certainly are enthusiastic and that's refreshing.
That reclaimed shot ought to be about 13 BHN near as I can figure and without a wee bit of tin, say 1-2% to help in the lattice it may be brittle. Use a hammer to flatten one of the boolits and see if it is brittle or malleable. That's a perfect hardness to run magnum pistol rounds with. If it doesn't have any arsenic it won't heat treat harden further so the water drop won't have any effect, I don't think.
Being reclaimed one might assume that it is a mixture of different shot which would include magnum shot which has a good bit of arsenic, that being the case it ought to water drop possibly up to 16-18 BHN and will be a fairly good choice for some rifle cast also.
Are you planning to lube/size or get right into PC coatings too?
Oh...putting a smoke layer on the mold faces will, or can inhibit the air vents and can cause fill out problems in long slender casts and will add some thickness to the boolits making them out of round, keep the mold faces clean. You will notice that on a properly cleaned and deburred mold, when it is seasoned, you won't need any smoking of the cavities either...play that by ear and you'll see whether or not its necessary in the future.
Great tip on the anti-seize, can't beat that for high temp applications.

Well, enough ramblings, I'll sign off and leave space for others...best of luck Geo...

charlie

44man
09-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Good tips. I heat my mold in a little oven made from an electrical box with a small BBQ thermometer in the top, on a cheap hot plate. I get to 500° before casting and first boolits will be perfect. Now I don't know actual mold temps.
I also set my Lee pot at 750 for all boolits and use time to control casting. No, I don't count seconds but use a strange way that got laughs here. Once the sprue sets I swing the mold at my side 4 to 5 swings and can tell how many it needs. I never try to cut molten lead. You will have more problems then you want. If you get some lead on the plate or mold top, strike a wood match and blow it right out. Scrub the lead with the head. Really works!
I ladle cast and the best tip is to use the tip up method and hold the ladle tight to the plate enough time so the shrinking boolit will take molten lead from the ladle instead of the sprue that can set before the boolit is done.
I found that over 60 years ago when I watched in the ladle, lead went down, stopped a second and went down more as the boolit shrunk. I can cast an entire 20# pot dry without a reject.
Best is a ladle does not need weight in the pot. No cleaning or poking out bottom spouts. No swirling or off center pours. No notes for each mold.
Cleaning a mold is just dish soap and hot water. I make my own from aircraft aluminum and sometimes use WD 40 for cutter lube and flush. NASTY junk but it washes off if still fresh. First cast is perfect, no silly break in.
I have Bullplate but the truth is, you need nothing under the plate unless you use a glove to smear molten lead.
I leave end mill marks on the mold and plate for vents. Slick as a greased pig. Never lap a plate more then to remove a burr, file the edges and polish so they don't scratch the mold.
Lead buildup under the plate can gouge a mold.
I make my plates from thick stainless that will eat a cutter so I mount on a face plate to cut the tapers. Tiny cutter I ground. Leaves a burr of course, I just remove it. If you lap a plate smooth on glass, you make a rocker and lose vents. Been there, done that and only fix is the end mill.
Making my own molds taught me so much and made me a better boolit maker.