PDA

View Full Version : lyman 45 up & running

rifleshooter
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I got my lyman 45 figured out(I think) after about 45 min. I'm using 2500+ from Glenn Larson. I didn't realize how much the ratchet needed to turn to fill up all the areas before it would come out the sizer holes. How many boolits can be done before the ratchet needs to turn or do you push out a little on each boolit. I plan on doing about 500 tonight.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Its mostly based on experience and how much lube your boolit needs and how easily the lube runs. Run until you don't get complete fill out and you have answered your question.

Dale53
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
The Lyman and RCBS lube/sizers have no spring over the lube. You'll have to pretty much turn it a bit for each bullet. You'll soon learn how much to turn (not much per bullet).

The Star has a heavy spring over the lube and you only have to turn it every 50-100 bullets.

Good luck!
Dale53

DLCTEX
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I crank it down until the groove (or grooves) fill, then run until a bit doesn't fill, then crank it down a little and repeat. As stated, depending on boolit size, number and size of grooves, type of lube, temperature, etc. it will vary. I also find a tip given on this board, of using a thin layer of styrofoam cut with a cartridge case mouth and placed on top of the I (pusher) part of the die will help seal the base of the boolit from lube creeping under, to be very usefull. DALE

rifleshooter
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks for the info fellas. I plan on only doing the lyman 358665 for quite some time and it doesn't seem to use very much. i bought five sticks of lube so it should be awhile before I need more.