View Full Version : Need shipping Help

DCP
09-12-2016, 09:35 AM
I made some 3/8 dia about 3 in long Delrin Punch for Ar takedown pins

Anyway to ship this with out paying a fortune for shipping

Thanks

runfiverun
09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
their little flat rate boxes are like 6 bucks.
but they have little tyvek bubble wrap like packages that are just a few dollars to ship, I think your weight will work in one of those.

bubba.50
09-12-2016, 10:21 AM
small padded mailer sent parcel-post or priority mail. gets ya a trackin' # and up to 50 bucks insurance.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2016, 04:26 PM
I'd recommend a padded envelope.

If you ship only to the Lower 48, and if your Item and envelope is under 13 oz, then you should be able to ship via "parcel post" for less then the aproximate $7 flat rate padded envelope. The price will vary depending on exact weight and distance from your origin...many times postage for small parts like that is $2.50 to $3.00.

I use to ship Lyman 45 springs this way, before the last postage price increase, I'd be able to ship for less than $2 most of the time. But since then, I've never been able to ship for less than $2.50

44man
09-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Hard but things get crazy. I bought a new carb for a weed eater for $13 with free shipping. Darn thing came from China for Gods sake. A bag with the box in it. gaskets, fuel lines and a filter with an extra fuel bulb. Yet I can't send anything without a cost. Postage can be more then the part is worth. I have no explanation. I also bought an adjustment tool for $1.80, free shipping. How is it done? I dread the PO.

abunaitoo
09-13-2016, 03:13 AM
USPS flat rate ships anywhere in the USA.
Alaska and Hawaii included.
It looks like it would fit in a small flat rate envelope. $6.45.
If it's under 11oz, it can go First class in an envelope. Much cheaper.
Parcel post might be cheaper, but they don't have insurance on it. Takes long to deliver.

M-Tecs
09-13-2016, 03:34 AM
Can't help with shipping but if you are selling them I am interested. If you are looking for volume sales I have a friend that may want them for a sale item in his store.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2016, 11:42 AM
USPS flat rate ships anywhere in the USA.
Alaska and Hawaii included.
It looks like it would fit in a small flat rate envelope. $6.45.
If it's under 11oz, it can go First class in an envelope. Much cheaper.
Parcel post might be cheaper, but they don't have insurance on it. Takes long to deliver.
Not exactly true.
a First Class envelope must fit through a 1/4" slot, if it doesn't, it's automatically classified as a parcel and can't be sent as First Class...and the slower parcel post (that I mentioned) is the cheapest why to ship that 1/4"+ thick item. But, you are correct on the lack of 'included' insurance with parcel post, but you can add insurance, if a buyer requests it. You get what you pay for, I guess.

gwpercle
09-13-2016, 01:03 PM
Stop by one of the local mail centers, they can advise you the least expensive way to go. My wife works at one and can fix anyone up with the best way . A lot depends on where it's going and how fast you want it to get there. Proper packaging is also important as is size of package . These factors all affect the final shipping cost.
Gary

Smoke4320
09-13-2016, 01:33 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00915AOMO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UXV9CI67E1N

these padded envelopes ... Make internal load larger than 1/4" thick and ship around the country for $2.60 with commercial account

Storydude
09-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Toss a CD of "instructions" in the envelope and send Media Mail.
$2.12 anywhere in the 48

DCP
09-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Here is the break down on costs-machining, material and shipping

I made a few extra trying to cut the Machine time
1st 2 took over an hour LOL

I got it down to 4 in a hour. I may be able to do it faster?

material is 00.35 bubble mailer envelopes 00.35
So far shipping about $3.00

So shipping is 3.70 (this sucks)

I thought about $5.00 for the punch
maybe $4.00 in bulk

I can also make it shorter, drill a hole in, Then you put a split ring and use it for a key ring

This is tough, shipping is a killer. Then of course if I became to successful. I would need to become a vendor sponsor LOL

Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated

RayinNH
09-14-2016, 10:46 AM
DCP shipping is a given you don't really control. Your only options as I see them is to increase the cost of the punch thereby making shipping look less expensive or tell your customers they can pick them up at your place making shipping look really attractive.

Alvarez Kelly
09-14-2016, 05:05 PM
I buy a box of 100 8.5" X 12" padded envelopes off Amazon for less than $20, shipped to my door. I then cut some into 4 pieces to ship small parts. The online shipping labels barely fit, but you have to tape it on anyway. I've never had a USPS problem. The parts get there... :-)

It's just another way to reduce shipping material costs.

bubba.50
09-14-2016, 06:56 PM
so sell'em for $10.00 shipped & be done with it.

SSGOldfart
09-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Can't help with shipping but if you are selling them I am interested. If you are looking for volume sales I have a friend that may want them for a sale item in his store.
Same here

lancem
09-14-2016, 08:57 PM
I have a product that I ship regularly, and it's 3/8 inch thick too. I cut two pieces of cardboard, about 2 x 4 or so, tape the item with packing tape to one of the cardboards and use the other on the other side while placing it in a regular envelope. $2.60 First class anywhere in the US, $5.00 outside the US.

abunaitoo
09-15-2016, 02:26 AM
I've got to check with my post office again.
I kind of remember he telling me that as long as it's under 11oz, it can go first class.
At least that's what I thought he said.
Getting old. Memory not as good as it once was.

DCP
09-15-2016, 09:49 AM
I have a product that I ship regularly, and it's 3/8 inch thick too. I cut two pieces of cardboard, about 2 x 4 or so, tape the item with packing tape to one of the cardboards and use the other on the other side while placing it in a regular envelope. $1.47 First class anywhere in the US, $5.00 outside the US.

This was my very 1st thought- So I called the PO they said I cant do it.
I guess I need to take one to the PO

lancem
09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
This was my very 1st thought- So I called the PO they said I cant do it.
I guess I need to take one to the PO

Just sent two today, corrected the price in my post above, I meant $2.47 instead of $1.47 but found out today it's gone up to $2.60. I say just pack one up and take it to the PO and say I want to send this...