PDA

View Full Version : throwing hawks

nagantguy
09-11-2016, 09:44 PM
please tell me about your throwing hawks, favorites, techniques, how you make your own I have a sog and a few no name cheap ones but I'd like to get serious with it, and I'd even like to buy a few from my online family here!

GhostHawk
09-11-2016, 10:56 PM
I have one cold steel trail hawk, have yet to come across reasonably priced material to make replacement handles so I have yet to throw mine.
I would in a pinch, but would not really expect it to hit edge on.

Still if I bought 3 seconds of time with that move it might be enough to get me to something better.

I will be following this thread with interest.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Probably 20 years ago, I watched a blacksmith make one at historic Murphy's Landing (now three rivers park).
https://www.threeriversparks.org/parks/the-landing.aspx
When he finished it, he offered it to me for $25. I bought it, and have used it for splitting kindling for my BBQ, ever since, It has a real nice edge, I'd never had to sharpen it, but I've never thrown it. It sits outside, year around, next to my BBQ, The handle is about shot, I bought one from Track of the wolf a few years ago...maybe I'll put it in on one of these days.

Dryball
09-12-2016, 12:17 AM
for "traditional" throwing hawks, Lots of people like the H&B forge (I have one too). For the tacticool ones I got nothin

TreeKiller
09-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Get a hawk with a tear drop eye that will take stranded handles. Cut the handle off so that it is as long as from the bend of the elbow to the tip of your fingers. Walk back from the block 6 steps, turn and throw to over hand like a baseball it should stick handle down. 1 turn. step back 3 more steps and it will be 1 1/2 turns and stick handle up. Adjust the distance from the block to get it to stick. Buy an extra handle unless you get in a game of handles in that case buy at least 6.

corbinace
09-12-2016, 03:02 PM
:popcorn:

KCSO
09-12-2016, 03:32 PM
I spent more than a few years doing mountain man and hawk throwing exhibitions. PM me and I an send you pictures and anything else you need.

jcwit
09-12-2016, 07:15 PM
I have used these folks many times with complete satisfaction.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-839-competition-tomahawk.aspx

bedbugbilly
09-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Where I am . . . the preferred "hawk" to throw is the "red tail hawk" .. . but they still keep flying back and picking on the rabbits and mice! Whoops . .. wrong kind of hawks! :-)

I haven't thrown hawks in a lot of years . . . lots of good makers out there though. I always enjoyed watching someone who was really good at it. The one I had I found on a trade blanket down at the Nationals at Friendship. I don't know who the guy was that had the blanket out but he had forged it. I stopped going to Friendship and other events and like a fool, sold the hawk.

jcwit
09-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Yes those were the days!

big bore 99
09-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Dixie Gun Works used to carry quite a few.

doc1876
09-12-2016, 10:58 PM
actually Treekiller is close. You don't throw it like a baseball, you keep the wrist stiff, and let the hawk just slide gently out of your hand. Once you get good, you can move back 3 more paces, or throw underhand, or backhand............
I have a teardrop handle style that is over 30 years old made by Track of the Wolfe, and it is better than I am these days.