PDA

View Full Version : I wonder about gun shops sometimes.

Tackleberry41
09-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Went to see a friend this weekend, he works in a gun shop. One thats a bit spartan, he tells me its just been hard to get orders filled. Tho the little place near me, has no issues, and has cases jammed full of new inventory.

One stark contrast is 22lr, shop my friend works at had little. Place near me has piles of it. Maybe just using the wrong distributor or wrong attitude? Place near me is always very fair, very nice people. The guy my friend works for, tends to inject politics into everything, ticking people off. But guess it could also be something like bad credit keeping what he can order down.

One thing I noticed at the place my friend works, is some of the same guns for a really long time. Now I know some stuff is just not so easy to sell, you need the right customer to come in. I bought an H&R 20 ga slug gun, it had been in the rack for a while, cheap to at $199. Just took somebody like me wanting to buy it. But Im thinking my friends place they are simply over pricing things. I asked, they have a yugo SKS in the rack, its been there months. He admitted it was over priced. Had a couple other rifles that are bit specialized, like a 22 mag AK. He might wait a really long time for the right guy to come in, and would be willing to pay a premium, vs just getting it off the wall by selling it at a lower price on gun broker. Free up the cash and put something else up. I tried to trade for a Sig 556 rifle he had, but ticked me off in the process. The Sig is used, but near new price. And tried to offer me way below market on what I had. He offered me $850 for an ATI HK33 'thats what the book says' when I easily sold it for $1400 on armslist.

And I question his shops new policy of offering $100 less trade in value on any pistol in 40S&W. Said they cant sell them, so why pay full trade value for them? Not that his shelf price reflects that lack of demand. But I also know my friend has a thing against 40. Wont even shoot mine. Now the place near me doesn't go '40' and spit on the floor. Maybe attitude has alot to do with it.

Bookworm
09-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I worked for a fellow once, that said many times "the only person here that is indispensable is the one writing the checks."
I never figured out if he meant himself, or the customers.

I'm saying that the owner of any business can do as he/she pleases regarding how that biz is run. I've seen many places go broke, because of mis-management, bad attitudes and the like. However, I've also seen places go broke from lack of operating capital.

As for injecting politics into everything, well, thats a good way to alienate 50% of the population first rattle out of the box. I talk politics with very, very few people, and none in the course of my business.

Tackleberry41
09-11-2016, 11:00 AM
I think the reason I was offered such a poor deal on that rifle was politics. My friend likes to refer to me as a 'liberal' and Im sure has said so to his boss. The 'liberal' is a matter of perspective, I know actual liberals, they do not include me in their ranks. So why would he offer a 'liberal' a decent deal on a rifle? Even tho he could move a hard to sell rifle, and take one in he could sell easier. So seems more like an opportunity to screw over a liberal. His loss, I sold my rifle for nearly 2x what he offered, and still has the other rifle hanging on the wall.

The place near me has always been so fair, its a little mom and pop place been there since 73. They never did any gouging during the panic. And oddly I can get better prices thru that shop as a guy off the street than thru my friend who works in a shop. I want to order something, its 10% over what the dealer price is.

WILCO
09-11-2016, 11:01 AM
I do business with places that have the products, services and smiles that I want.
When those basics are lacking, I take my wallet elsewhere. It really is that simple.

runfiverun
09-11-2016, 11:06 AM
customers expect to haggle used gun prices and get a somewhat fair price on a trade in.
unfortunately this leaves a pretty slim profit margin for the shop and they need a volume of turn over to make any amount of monthly income.
when newer guns are involved the store can't pay more than their wholesale price [why would they?] and they for sure can't sell it for full retail.
this 60% of new 'what I paid price' ticks some people off.
they don't seem to understand why the shop would buy a new one and sell it for what 'they paid' and use the mark-up to cover operating costs and stay in business.

your friend might want to start looking for a new job.
a shop without a line of credit at their distributors is always going to be behind the curve on inventory and sales.
each time a customer walks out without something in their hands is a loss of profit and revenue.
once this starts it cycles the owner further and further behind on his credit payments, and his inventory becomes less and less.

Tackleberry41
09-11-2016, 11:18 AM
I know how customers can be. But I have always been fair, I know shops have to turn a profit. Some just tend to be a bit more greedy about what constitutes a decent profit.

I took in a barely used glock 23. Now it wasn't just a pistol. I had a drop in 357 sig barrel, plus 5 mags, I had put some trigger parts in it, guide rod with wolff springs, holster and mag carrier. Still had all the original parts, plus some I had not used. Original box and everything that came with it. He had a S&W M&P compact in 40, something he was having issues moving, no extra nothing. He still wanted $120. Gave me the song and dance about the holster is out of the package so worthless, the barrel was worthless, etc. etc. Ok fine. Well the place near me took my package deal even trade for a NIB FNS-40, and unloaded my gun in less than 2 days. He didn't complain about not making any money. And that S&W compact 40 is still in his case, I can buy the same gun thru my local shop for $60 less.

I asked my friend about the inventory, he blamed it all on the distributors, just cant get it. Place near me has no such issues. But last I was in there friday, he asked as I was buying a soda, anything you need since I am doing an order? yea some blue dot powder. I cant even get AR parts thru my friend.

JSnover
09-11-2016, 11:35 AM
I used to go to a shop like that, unfortunately it was 20 miles to the nearest decent LGS. The employees were great but the owner was a jerk. I got to know one of them and he once told me "it wouldn't be hard for us to keep customers if [the owner] would stop driving them away."

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2016, 12:43 PM
My Liberal Brother likes to say (and I'm paraphrasing, because I don't like his terminology), that people who are firearms enthusiasts are disproportionately represented by angry middle aged men. As much as I dislike it, I'm afraid he has a point and Tackleberry41's friend and Boss are evidence to it.

dtknowles
09-11-2016, 01:00 PM
I think that some small gun shops think in terms of profit on each item and not rate of return on invested capital. I think they also don't understand that the greater volume the do with a distributor the better deal they will get from the distributor.

I have seen many places with a item on the shelf for many months, better they sold it for a loss and used the cash to buy stuff that would turn over and make more sales. Sell it today for a loss, buy something that will move and sell for a profit in less than a month, make back the loss then buy something else that will move and sell for a profit and you are money ahead of where you would be with the White Elephant on the shelf.

Tim

Ickisrulz
09-11-2016, 01:35 PM
The days of traditional brick and mortar stores is numbered. You can sell your guns online and buy anything you want the same way. Same goes for ammo and components. We just need local FFL holders that operate out of their homes to do the gun transfers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2016, 01:39 PM
on the shelf for a while...

My LGS has a new Henry steel frame 357M, with big lever loop. It's been on the shelf for over 6 months. I've been waiting and watching for a 41 Mag Henry to show up there, as promised and all I see is that 357, one of these days it's gonna follow me home. The price started at $699, and I think it's now down to $629...seems like a good price?

ironhead7544
09-11-2016, 02:30 PM
on the shelf for a while...

My LGS has a new Henry steel frame 357M, with big lever loop. It's been on the shelf for over 6 months. I've been waiting and watching for a 41 Mag Henry to show up there, as promised and all I see is that 357, one of these days it's gonna follow me home. The price started at $699, and I think it's now down to $629...seems like a good price?

Yes.

Concerning prices, the shop has to make money. They may or may not know how to do that.

A retail business is a flow. It should come in then go out with a customer. If it doesnt, you are not making money.

At the shop I recently worked for, we had a lot of 22lr of various types. We also checked the suppliers many times daily. When 22lr popped up, it might only be on there for a few minutes. We had people calling all the time and would come from 50 miles away to get 22lr from us.

The gun business is not easy.

Tackleberry41
09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
My Liberal Brother likes to say (and I'm paraphrasing, because I don't like his terminology), that people who are firearms enthusiasts are disproportionately represented by angry middle aged men. As much as I dislike it, I'm afraid he has a point and Tackleberry41's friend and Boss are evidence to it.

Unfortunately it is very true. Such people tend to purge their ranks of anyone 'liberal', then everyone agrees with them. Im the most 'liberal' guy he will talk to. I guarantee the liberals I know say I am just another conservative gun nut. But I do not see the world in absolutes, been to many places to see it that way anymore. My local gun shop, I know they are conservative, but stick to the business at hand, we get along fine. My friend and his boss, well its a deciding factor. And they are very stuck in a rut. Also terribly uninformed, I will ask 'did you see this in the news'? Has no idea what Im talking about 'oh communist news, g*******n liberals'. Its still news, just avoided on some channels as it does not look good for the cause, doesn't mean it didnt happen.

I would think as a business, you would not get to particular about who you sold to, money is money. Well not to obviously screwy people. But who cares how someone votes, they want to buy a gun, sell em one. Not say 'oh your his liberal friend so lets see how I can screw you on the deal'. He had a chance to get rid of 2 weapons he cant sell for ones he could. Still stuck with them 6 mo later. He gave me the 'you dont understand' speech, how he has to make money. Um yea, it was the same shop that took in the screwed up mosin that I ended up paying $50 for. No idea what anybody was thinking taking it for trade. The scope had visible aluminum foil shims, and wasnt even screwed down tight. This custom left hand stock, had a bulged chamber so worthless, except parts. He tried to get more out of it, funny how it works, I have a left hand stock 'that aint worth much'. He has it 'well its custom'. He had $250 in it. I let them sit on it a while, before 'what will you give me for it'? $50, the stock is butchered, can be fixed. But the guy didnt bother to sand it after using a rasp, come on. And wont fit my other mosins. The timney trigger has value to me, and the mount/bent bolt. The rifle its Finnish, but needs a barrel, so whats a mosin action worth anymore? Had this huge muzzle brake, thats $90 new, but wont fit much, couldn't get rid of it on ebay for $40. The scope is NcStar, so worthless. "But a liberal doesnt understand economics, a business needs to make money." Maybe, but I know what a bubba'd Mosin is worth.

kmw1954
09-11-2016, 05:53 PM
I worked in a service industry working with general population customers all day long. My rule was Don't tell me what political party you agree with, what church you visit, who you sleep with and I won't tell you because we do not need to know that information in order to do business. Then if you insist on telling then you'd better be ready to find we do not agree.

Was at a local gun show yesterday and I was wearing a sports team hat and sweatshirt. Had a complete stranger come up to me and asked if I'd lost a bet. I gave him a look and plainly stated NO! and walked away. I'm sure he thought be was being cute.

We also have a newer local gun store that seems to be struggling. I believe most of it is the guy doesn't have enough capital because he seems to be a nice guy with reasonable pricing. Also believe most of his business is in classes. Then there is another new store a few towns away that is going gangbusters.

Geezer in NH
09-11-2016, 07:37 PM
When a shop tells you we cannot get any it means We do not buy enough from the supplier to get us any so no sorrow for them.

Thumbcocker
09-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Labels are a dangerous thing, I spent many years working with a man who was a classic old school democrat. His father had been a union worker and he was first in his family to go to college. He was also staunchly pro gun and pro hunting. He was in a position where he routinely had to follow legal precedent that was repugnant to his personal beliefs but he did so because he swore an oath. He drove an old truck, wore overalls, and grew most of his food. He was and remains one of the finest men I have ever known.

Heck at one time a liberal was a person who said kings didn't rule by divine right and a republic was the way to go.

leeggen
09-11-2016, 10:08 PM
We had a local gun shop that for about 6 months advertised his opening and great low prices. I went to the shop when it opened, he had several used rifles and shotguns, one caught my eye. I checked the serial # and he wanted near new price. Well every month I stopped in and looked but the gun never sold. My point is 1 yr after opening he closed the doors, just was not selling enough guns for it to be worth while. Bad management closes more doors than most things. Too bad to he had some nice older guns.
CD

MaryB
09-11-2016, 10:45 PM
My LGS has a huge turnover and he does a lot of internet business, see something grab it because it will be gone next week!

starmac
09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
I guess I just don't understand why anybody would go into a gun shop and mention the fact they are a liberal, I mean what would a guy be talking about that thet would be brought up to someone that is obviously not.

I refuse to do business with several businesses that openly donate too and support liberal causes, even when it means I might be spending more elsewhere.
I do not watch movies or television shows that have rabid liberal actors in them, just plain refuse to support them, so they can support their agenda.

There is probably a law against a shop owner refusing to do business with a person because of their political beliefs, we sure know they can not turn down a ***** just because they are *****, but their is no law against pricing their stuff high, or even being rude, and money isn't everything.

Tackleberry41
09-12-2016, 08:12 AM
I guess I just don't understand why anybody would go into a gun shop and mention the fact they are a liberal, I mean what would a guy be talking about that thet would be brought up to someone that is obviously not.

I refuse to do business with several businesses that openly donate too and support liberal causes, even when it means I might be spending more elsewhere.
I do not watch movies or television shows that have rabid liberal actors in them, just plain refuse to support them, so they can support their agenda.

There is probably a law against a shop owner refusing to do business with a person because of their political beliefs, we sure know they can not turn down a ***** just because they are *****, but their is no law against pricing their stuff high, or even being rude, and money isn't everything.

Liberal has lost most of its meaning. Now its anything slightly left of ones own personal ideas. Im pretty sure those loons at the westboro baptist church would say even staunch conservatives are g*******n liberals. Now my friend, used to be a bit more open minded, but has made a hard swerve to the right at some point. Long time friends just roll their eyes anymore at stuff he says, we did not suddenly become liberals. More than a few have stopped talking to him. It does get old being called a liberal all the time. Or the other day he asked me why I defend liberals, whatever that even is anymore. Uumm because they have the same rights as he does, its not about defending them, just that we are all entitled to an opinion. I served in the marines, it wasnt to defend some people, but everybody. Had someone told me when I signed up, 'Oh hey your only really fighting for conservatives, screw everybody else' needless to say I would not have done it. Let them fight for it if its so important.

Sorry Starmac but you pretty much prove my case. I have NEVER discussed politics with his boss, he is basing it all on what his employee says. I have never voted democrat contrary to what he might think. But I should get a **** deal because he thinks I am whatever, real open minded.

kmw1954
09-12-2016, 09:44 AM
I have mentioned this before but here it is.
I have an older brother that I have forever thought and labeled a Democrat, liberal, pacifist. He is also a Dr. of Phycology. He is also gay.

Today he is now a member of the NRA, owns 4 handguns, has his concealed carry and is taking combat training classes and competing at an amateur level. Who'd a thunk it!!! Oh and has stated in many ways that there is no way he is voting for the Democratic presidential candidate.

Which reminds me I still haven't heard from him for a date to go to the range and find out who's the better shot!

dragon813gt
09-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Your brother hit the nail on the head and is one hundred percent correct. I don't fall into this category and never will. The current definition of liberal simply means "someone who doesn't agree w/ me". And if you are open minded in anyway you're a liberal. If you live on either coast you are definitely a liberal. The term is misused constantly.

Bookworm
09-12-2016, 11:55 AM
I think that some small gun shops think in terms of profit on each item and not rate of return on invested capital.
I have seen many places with a item on the shelf for many months, better they sold it for a loss and used the cash to buy stuff that would turn over and make more sales. Sell it today for a loss, buy something that will move and sell for a profit in less than a month, make back the loss then buy something else that will move and sell for a profit and you are money ahead of where you would be with the White Elephant on the shelf.

Tim

Tim, you are very much correct. Everyone makes mistakes, including business owners when it involves inventory. Best to take your lumps and move on. The money can be used for something that will make a profit.

Back to the guy I worked for years ago - there was some merchandise on the shelf, had been there for YEARS. It was overpriced, wouldn't move. I got a fish on the line, and sold the merchandise, much cheaper than what the owner wanted, but it moved.
He called me in the office to explain myself. I mentioned that I was hired to sell, not curate a collection.
He said " But I cannot replace that merchandise at the price you sold it "
I said " why in the world would you want to replace it ? The first one wouldn't sell !"

He looked at me for a few minutes, and told me to get back to work. I worked for him for several more years, and never saw another similar piece of merchandise in the place.

dverna
09-12-2016, 12:11 PM
I walked into a gun store to order two SAA Colts for Cowboy Action shooting. I knew what I wanted and needed the guy to take the order. He told me they did not like ordering expensive guns in case people changed their minds. I had a check book and told him to wait until the check cleared before ordering. He tried to sell me the Italian clones he had. I told him I already had a pair of Great Western II's and a pair of Rugers.

I walked out and ordered them on line for a better price. I have never been back there.

He lost a sizable sale and my business for life. I think there should be a category for Darwin Awards for dumb business men

fatelk
09-12-2016, 01:20 PM
I've always wondered about stores that keep overpriced inventory on the shelves for years. They don't seem to understand business.

A friend's dad owned a hardware store for decades when I was growing up. I remember that he had a shelf full of ammo that never seemed to change. Some of it was oddball calibers though I don't remember what. I seem to recall stuff like .300 and .375 H&H, 8mm Magnum and 45/70. It had been there so long some of the boxes were faded. When he eventually closed down, sold the store and retired, my friend told me what his dad did with what was left of that shelf full of ammo. He decided that it was probably dangerous because it was so old, so he pulled each nice shiny round out of each nice clean factory box, put it in a vice, ripped each bullet out with pliers, dumped the powder on the ground, and threw the whole works in the trash.

I guess that's one way to get rid of unsold inventory. SO much easier than just selling it cheap.

Tackleberry41
09-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Your brother hit the nail on the head and is one hundred percent correct. I don't fall into this category and never will. The current definition of liberal simply means "someone who doesn't agree w/ me". And if you are open minded in anyway you're a liberal. If you live on either coast you are definitely a liberal. The term is misused constantly.

As I said its lost all meaning anymore. And I do see alot of the 'you dont agree with me, so therefore must be a liberal' thing going on. Most of the 'conservatives' I know are pretty dang close minded, if they dont like it, it should be banned. They get stuck in the rut and seem to resent anybody who wont wallow in it with them.

I cant discuss politics at all with my friend, even tho we are voting for the same person. And the problem most of us 'liberals' have is, the blatant hypocrisy. Like my friend 'g******n lazy liberals getting welfare'. Really umm like the EBT card you have? Oh no its completely.....different. Ok please explain how its different? 'Only a liberal wouldn't understand'. What? So that makes me a liberal? Asking for a logical explaination of how its 'different'? If I say something is different, I can tell you why it is. I keep up with the issues, he does not feel the need as he knows all he needs to know. He will stop talking to me for a week or so at a time, for something I posted on facebook or a comment I made somewhere. Now he can post all sorts of idiotic stuff, and antagonize 'liberals' all he wants. Again its....different. I have tried to point out police corruption, and he used to agree with me, until he became one. I asked how many honest cops are in your little town, he did not have an answer, so not many then. He even told me how he was stopped recently, stopped for 33 in a 30 zone, cop came up with his hand on his gun, lots of attitude. So what he didnt even other to run the tag before he got out of the car? Once he figured out he was fellow LE, oh then it was okay. I asked so now you see how it is for the rest of us, just that blank look. Its different, what so hard to understand? And theres no corruption, hes just LE and selling weed. Its.....different I suppose. Where us 'liberals' just see a hypocrite.

dragon813gt
09-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Judge every man based on his merits, not his political affiliation. The area I live in is purple. The division is pretty much 50/50. I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I stopped doing business w/ people who have a different political affiliation.

I make it a point to not ask. If I don't know I can't take exception. If they make it a point to tell me then I won't do business w/ them.

I have found "gun people" in my area to be extremely close minded. They talk a big game but at the end of the day they aren't for complete freedom. They are for freedom for their interests. Start discussing "drugs" w/ them and their true colors shine.

Like I said, judge a man based on his merits. Any other way is foolish.

starmac
09-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Lord, lord, I would suggest you be a little more selective who you call friends, no matter who they vote for.

Call it close minded, but if your friend is as you describe, I would not be associateing with him at all.

KCSO
09-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Cabela's Remington 22's over the counter $27 a carton. CDNN DEALER SPECIAL same stuff $54 a carton DEALER! The small guy gets it in the end every time. Unless your dealer can order 20,000 rounds of ammo at a time he pays MORE than retail, same on guns, I want a (0ne) Henry Firemans it's allocated but Cabela's can get all they want.

jonp
09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Cabelas 22lr here is way high. I bought my last 2 boxes at walmart.

Tackleberry41
09-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Lord, lord, I would suggest you be a little more selective who you call friends, no matter who they vote for.

Call it close minded, but if your friend is as you describe, I would not be associateing with him at all.

Friend is a strong word, well I have been, but its sort of one way, so this guy I know. I expect not to hear from for a bit anyways, I probably said something to offend his sensibilities. Week or 2 he will text me, and be back to normal. Well as long as I dont comment on his tasteless 'I hate liberals posts' and dont post anything of my own.

bedbugbilly
09-12-2016, 09:16 PM
The life blood of any business is "cash flow" and it must be constant. I've been in shops where I wonder if they ever sell anything as the same guns are always there . . . and usually over priced. If you don't greet your customers with a smile and a friendly, helpful attitude . . . well, the door swings out and they may never come back. I go to several different LGS . . the one has a great selection of firearms and they seem be reasonably priced. I was in business many years and you must turn a profit or close your doors . . so if it's fairly priced and I want it, I'll consider it. More than once I went in to buy powder, primers or something else and walked out with a firearm. But, all the employees greet you with a smile and are willing to go the extra mile to help you . . . and that's what keeps you coming back.

I stopped in to a small gunshot in AZ once . . . the owner, who was the only one there, was too busy BSing with his several friends to even look up and say "hi". I got the feeling it was a daily "social hour". I spotted several things that I was interested in and I had to interrupt their "important business of BSing" to ask about them. The guy was as curt as could be. I finally looked around and than as I passed the counter, interrupted them once again to tell the owner that I wouldn't be bothering him anymore as i'd never be back. Maybe he was independently wealthy and the shop was just a "hobby" for him, I don't know. As far as interjecting "politics" . . . to me, that's a real turn-off whether I agree with them or not. As my Dad always said, "you catch more flys with honey, not with vinegar".

MaryB
09-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a gun store in the Twin Cities I stopped at t get some 22lr. They had it available online and I was headed up that way so I bought it and left a note on the order to not ship I would pick it up tomorrow. I get up there and they were the rudest people I have ever run into in my life. The store was filled with old junk with an inch of dust on it and the counter was covered in coffee stains where these old geezers sat and complained all day long about their medical issues. I asked for my ammo order and the guy gave me a "how dare you interrupt my discussion of my bladder look" and bitched and mumbled under his breath as he went in the backroom. He came out with different ammo than I had ordered and I told him I want what I paid for, not the cheap **** you can't sell(it was some subsonic garbage that wouldn't have cycled my rifle). He swears more and goes back and gets what I had paid for and I flat out said I would never be back! He just shrugged and went back to his medical issues discussion with some old farts who looked like they had fossilized to their stools...

fatelk
09-12-2016, 11:05 PM
As far as interjecting "politics" . . . to me, that's a real turn-off whether I agree with them or not.
Same here, especially when they're pushy about it!

This thread is reminding me of a LGS in Eugene, Oregon. If you know the area, you'll know who I'm talking about...

JRPVT
09-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Mary B is " fossilized to their stools" a funny? Dave

beechbum444
09-13-2016, 12:34 AM
There is a LGS that I stop at from time to time and I noticed that the inventory never changes. In the past ten months, the selection has not changed at all. There are many items in the store with no prices and I ask the owner directly what he wants for them. I never really get a direct answer, something about the items were a trade or they belong to someone and they have not gave him a price...etc. I have even left him my number about items he has in the works...with no calls. The only thing that I can figure is that it is a hobby business for him and does not depend directly on the store for income. Has anyone else ran into this.......

shoot-n-lead
09-13-2016, 02:27 AM
There is a LGS that I stop at from time to time and I noticed that the inventory never changes. In the past ten months, the selection has not changed at all. There are many items in the store with no prices and I ask the owner directly what he wants for them. I never really get a direct answer, something about the items were a trade or they belong to someone and they have not gave him a price...etc. I have even left him my number about items he has in the works...with no calls. The only thing that I can figure is that it is a hobby business for him and does not depend directly on the store for income. Has anyone else ran into this.......

I know what you mean...and then they want to fuss about the internet gun dealers.

Pretty much the reason that all of my guns, now, are bought online.

runfiverun
09-13-2016, 10:55 AM
I think that's when the owner is focusing on other aspects of the business and he has someone managing the stores daily operations.
if you found that guy he probably has a clue what is invested in that stuff and would give you a price.
our LGS was that way for a while. [until the owner retired]
if I found the owner I could BS around with him and he would show me some guns he had stashed in the back, I would also give him a list of things I was looking for and he would keep an eye out while he travelled to gun shows in other states.
but if I seen a box of goodies shoved over by the office door and wanted a price or to just look through it I had to go find Larry and talk it over with him first.
I'm pretty sure Larry was trying to put together enough capital to buy the place and the owner was letting him set things up to help that along.

snowwolfe
09-13-2016, 11:28 AM
We are in changing times. I rarely ever buy a gun at a local gun shop anymore for two reasons, high prices and sales tax. I do however pick up other stuff like powder and hunting items if the prices are reasonable.
Most of us, myself included are killing off the small shops because of our internet shopping habits.
Even if the customer service is outstanding I can't bring myself to pay an extra $100 or more just to stay local.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2016, 11:32 AM
We are in changing times. I rarely ever buy a gun at a local gun shop anymore for two reasons, high prices and sales tax. I do however pick up other stuff like powder and hunting items if the prices are reasonable.
Most of us, myself included are killing off the small shops because of our internet shopping habits.
Maybe?
but the gunshops can change or die.
My LGS sells quite a bit online...probably more than they sell off the showroom.

Tackleberry41
09-13-2016, 12:30 PM
I like the little shop near me, and will gladly pay them vs the internet. Yea I may or may not be able to get whatever on the web a little cheaper, but generally involves shipping, and the wait. And of course the fun of lost of damaged packages. How much money have I saved making that drive to town to get a box my mailman was to lazy to deliver? So I will ask that little shop 'can you get this' if so they I will pay them so they continue to stay open. For those days I need a single set of scope rings, and dont want to order it on the internet.

Some shops probably need to close down. They may not want to order what you want, no they want to sell what they have on the shelf, even if its not what you want. Some just have to gouge. Gun shop owners act like they are the only ones who have ever had some sort of business, that we just 'dont understand', yea none of the rest of us have bills to pay. The old 'you have a turd, they have a bar of gold' thing gets real old. Like the guy I know tells me 'well nobody wants 40s, so I give less in trade' so thats why whats on the shelf is still full price?

Boaz
09-13-2016, 12:51 PM
I try and stay out of gun shops . I can not 'justify' more guns ....need to sell some . BUT ! When I visit one I inevitably see one I 'need' . I'm a lot better at not feeding the need now .

OptimusPanda
09-13-2016, 12:57 PM
I keep seeing the same three types of shops. 1) the large high volume deli counter. If you want it and they have it you can't beat the price you'll just have to wade through the mosh pit depending on day and time to get up to the counter. They also only want to sell what's in stock. I've been told twice by a shop they were too busy to look into a special order. 2) the smaller shops which can't compete in volume, having prices around $50 higher than the larger shops, willing to order special items in, and way better service. 3) the shops where the clerk can't be bothered to get off the stool to acknowledge your presence, only wants to sell what he has on hand, and has prices at or above msrp.

Boaz
09-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I do notice there are few shops with experience or knowledge of collector or just older guns . Very little wood on anything sold in my area , mainly just trendy whatever . Pawn shops are a better bet here for older guns and info .

mold maker
09-13-2016, 01:40 PM
One local shop has the same old dudes sitting just inside the door on lower shelves and kegs with their feet outstretched so they had to stop the day's topic of conversation and stand for a customer to enter. The owner was perched on a stool behind the counter so engrossed he didn't see anyone come in.
The store was very well stocked, but it was all behind glass so you had to get someone to assist you to hands on look at anything.
They were a very friendly bunch and between them was a lot of knowledge.
I usually on-line shopped for the model# etc of what ever I needed and called to see if it was in inventory. His prices were only a % or so above on-line so it was a good deal.
I wouldn't go there to "shop" because of the hassle getting in and out.
Long story short, owner finally sold out and opened a fresh store several miles away. Same owner, same prices, same merchandise, same buying customers, but no problem getting in and out.
Inside the door, of the new store the lower shelves (seats) and kegs are missing, and so are the bench warmers.
Oh and no problems handling and shopping since the open displays have no glass fronts. Multi security cameras all but insure honesty and a bright new store is a pleasure to visit.
The old store has added golf carts, four wheelers, and boats to try to keep the business afloat. Pun intended.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Way back in 1956 I went to a gun shop in Paramount, Ca. with the intention of buying a Ruger Single Six. When I entered the store the owner was talking to an old friend so I sat on a stool an waited and waited and waited, all the while his wife who could see what was going was getting more nervous all the time. I could see the 22 pistol I wanted was in the case. After 45 of waiting I left the store and went to another gun shop closer to home and immediately bought the pistol I wanted. I never went back to the other gun shop.

victorfox
09-13-2016, 04:20 PM
When things were good here in brazil (about 1995-97), I lived in a small town, we had only one LGS. They guys were funny and made jokes with me (I was about 14-16), because I invented every sort of crazy muzzleloader and one got a 9mm smoothbore out of an airgun... They had the bread and butter of ammo, knives, ammo was cheap enough for me to get "gifts" of half a box of .22 or a box of .22 as change.

Now I live in a big city, we have about 10 LGS, but I keep doing business only with one, because we have some "facilities" there and they give big discounts on larger purchases. Too bad, all of them have overpriced firearms, and I bought all of mine out of state and got them shipped via airplane. I paid about 1/2 the price in 2, and about 2/3 of the price on the Judge, paperwork and shipping included.

Most LGS here carry few firearms, you must buy, then wait it to arrive (thanks to commie govt). And the sales people I dislike most are the "expert" who knows everything and the "chaser" who won't let you alone the moment you set foot on the store.

At the LGS I buy most, I have a salesperson I got to know, and go directly to him, ask what I want, pay and go away fast. There's nothing good in the chitchat of these stores these days.

MaryB
09-13-2016, 08:54 PM
More like pathetic...

Mary B is " fossilized to their stools" a funny? Dave