PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Rant

jonp
09-11-2016, 07:08 AM
They had a clearance sale/door buster thing this weekend. We needed new shoes and some were on sale so my wife headed down as I had to work. She got there at opening and said it wasn't that busy. She found the shoes we wanted then wandered over to the gun counter to look for primers. They had set up a number system for the big sale. Take a number and stand in line. She looked in the primers, no LPP, then noticed a SW .40 for $279. Didn't really need one but that is a great deal and told her so. She decided to get it for me as a surprise so took a number and stood in line. There were only 2 guys behind the counter to deal with the people and after standing there for over 1hr she got to the counter and the sales guy told her they were sold out. They should have made an announcement to save people from wasting time like that in my opinion as only 2 pistols were on clearance and that was one of them. She also said the guy was kinda rude to her and tried to push the 9mm version on her which she promptly told him she had enough 9mm's already.

She was angry not at them advertising something that they only had a few items of but of wasting that much time standing in line for no reason. Oh, before she could ask him about primers they guy just walked off and started helping another man whom he laughed and joked with leaving her standing there.

Rant over.....

buckwheatpaul
09-11-2016, 07:14 AM
That is when you send a letter to the Home Office with the salesman's name with a cc: to the manager of the store.....I am fed up with rude ignorant sales people.....

bandsmoyer
09-11-2016, 08:52 AM
That's pretty normal for Cabela's

NSB
09-11-2016, 08:58 AM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Cablea's for over forty years. I'm getting pretty tired of all the whining that goes on all web forums from people who think things like this are the end of the world. If everyone quit going to all the places the whiners were complaining about we wouldn't have one single place left to shop for anything. Hey, sometimes the world just doesn't work perfectly....get over it. If Cabela's had a hundred of them for sale and she was number 101 the end result would have been the same.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Jonp,
This probably doesn't help, but I have found the same issues during Cabela's big sales. I can only assume they don't have enough staff for those type of events. I no longer go to their big sales events. Last fall, when I bought one of those Savage Axis rifles on sale and rebate...I went on a Monday Morning, right at opening time. I know everyone can't do that...but it sure was a painless purchase, compared to going on a saturday afternoon with a couple thousand other shoppers, that I have done years prior.

white eagle
09-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Cablea's for over forty years. I'm getting pretty tired of all the whining that goes on all web forums from people who think things like this are the end of the world. If everyone quit going to all the places the whiners were complaining about we wouldn't have one single place left to shop for anything. Hey, sometimes the world just doesn't work perfectly....get over it. If Cabela's had a hundred of them for sale and she was number 101 the end result would have been the same.

Its called a Rant for a reason

jonp
09-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Its called a Rant for a reason

Yeah, I think he missed that part. We went back today to return the boots she bought me and I walked to the back. The display gun was gone. My wife told me it was there when the guy blew her off so I can only assume it was sold to the next guy.
A rant is just that. Im still going to shop there but it smacked too much of a gun guy blowing off a woman to me. I also have learned my lesson on those door buster things some time ago. The hiking boots she went to get on sale/clearance but we figured they would be there and they were. She went to the counter to get me a box of primers and saw the gun so on a whim decided to buy one for me. My biggest gripe was not them understaffing the counter or that they ran out, it was they let people stand in line for an hour without announcing they were out so people could take off and also blowing her off like a silly girl to laugh up the man in line behind her and then sell the gun in the case without offering it to her first.

DougGuy
09-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Gander Mtn down in Raleigh has a lot of primers and I left a couple pounds of Unique for someone else to get..

Half Dog
09-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I was at a Cabelas once looking for a Remington 9mm and the gun clerk told me that they don't have it and that it would be cheaper and quicker if I bought it somewhere else. 3 weeks later it was in their sale paper.

kmw1954
09-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Learned that lesson many years ago on a Black Fri. Sale. Stood outside in the cold for 4.5hrs. when .5hr before the doors opened the store sales people came out to hand out tickets for many of the items on sale. The one item I wanted was one of the ticket items and that store only stocked 5 of them. When they got to me and was told all those tickets were gone I left the line and went home. That same day I found the same item, a laptop, on-line for even less and was still available. I have never stood in another sale line since.

Funny thing is, that sales item was only available thru that store. By Saturday Ebay was full of them for twice the sales price.

jonp
09-11-2016, 05:38 PM
M
Gander Mtn down in Raleigh has a lot of primers and I left a couple pounds of Unique for someone else to get..
I was in there last weekend while my wife was buying out hobby lobby and saw no powder or primers. Where do they keep them?

Geezer in NH
09-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Wha! Wha! Wha! Is what I got.

xs11jack
09-12-2016, 12:12 AM
We have Gander Mt., Cabelas, and Bass Pro within 10 mi. and Graf & Sons about 8 mi. Lots of choices. Gander Mt. you can buy anything off the sales floor no hasle, just go to register and pay, if you want to buy or just look at anything in the cases or behind the counters you have to take a number. Cabelas is full of snotty employees. Bass Pro is pretty good but could use a few more sales people. Graf&Sons is really good but a bit small. Still with all that big store pricing I try to give what I can afford to the LGS. I think that the big guys can stand the loss of us LGS supporters because they have good prices and sales. I want to do business with the guy in my community that puts his money back into the community, not back to some headquarters in another state or area. End of my rant.
Ole Jack

DougGuy
09-12-2016, 12:19 AM
M
I was in there last weekend while my wife was buying out hobby lobby and saw no powder or primers. Where do they keep them?

They have them both in a brown metal cabinet on the very far right of all the firearms/ammo section if you are walking to the back of the store. Ask and someone will point it out.

w5pv
09-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't buy from Cabalas

Vote Trump

skeeter2
09-12-2016, 04:46 PM
My experience with cabelas mail order is great. The store not so much. Having to take a number and wait just to ask a question or look at a product is not the ideal way. I can go to my local scheel's store and everyone knows my name and there is a salesman immediately available. Seems to me if people have to take a number and wait, then they don't have nearly enough sales people.

Handloader109
09-12-2016, 07:22 PM
I like my cabelas, but the gun sales can be hit or miss. They have a few good salesfolks, but they take forever to complete the sale. I've bought 2 handguns from them, neither were at my main Local gs. Complaints don't do much.

StolzerandSons
09-12-2016, 07:35 PM
None of you guys have ever heard of rain checks? Most states have laws that require retailers to offer a rain check if they don't inventory enough product for a listed sale price.

JSH
09-12-2016, 07:38 PM
I avoid the place like the plague when they have big sales. The game they play at my local cabelas seems to be, stocking an item and then not making sure the price is right.
Example, last time I was there, they had some 22hornet ammo in the right spot. $18.99 for 50 rounds. Of course I took all 10 boxes as the brass would cost you that. Get to the counter and it rings up at $48.99! WTH? I explain and jump through the hoops only to find out that $18.99 was for the Hornady v max and they were out. Now how in the world am I supposed to know that?
I was not rude, but I kindly left the whole basket of stuff on the counter and left.

As as to to the gun library. There are only two people I will deal with. If they are gone I have them put the gun back until one of them is there.

I can deal with rude people. Stupid not so much.
I hate to get to close to the gun counter,mi am afraid the stupid may rub off there is so much of it.
You can't wash off stupid.

Drm50
09-12-2016, 08:42 PM
A Cabelas opened about 40 mi. from me several years ago. I had never been there. A buddy at
work was going there after work one night and invited me to ride along. He had ordered some
boat ***., while he went to get them I went to look at guns. Ended up in what they call the Gun
Library, where vintage & classics are kept in glass cases. I was just window shopping when a
young guy in sport coat, came out of adjoining office. He takes one look at me and said, buddy
I think the type of guns you would be looking for are out on the floor in the used racks. I had on
jeans & blue cotton work shirt, not dirty or torn, I had just came from work. It pissed me off so
bad, I told him what he could do with his guns and have never set foot in a Cabelas since. Besides
that, they have a bad rep for ripping off unsuspecting non gun people when buying their guns.
They love widows.

bedbugbilly
09-12-2016, 08:54 PM
I rarely go to Cabelas as I get most of my reloading stuff from a couple of smaller LGS as well as guns. Doesn't really mater what store it is . . . you can have excellent clerks who want to give good service or "jerks" who don't. I almost get the feeling from your "rant" that she was sort of "dismissed" due to being a woman as well. Funny . . . I know a number of women who are excellent shooters, reloader and way wiser in the ways of the gun snd shooting than some of those clerks ever will be.

On the other hand, at the Sportsman's Warehouse in AZ where a friend and I go once in a while, I have twice stood back and watched a salesman (the same one) take advantage of two different women who were there to buy a gun for home defense. One was a cute little thing that weighed about 90 pounds and the guy sold her a 12 gauge semi-auto that I doubt she could rack a round in let alone shoot - and I overheard the conversation and she had never shot a shotgun before. The other time, the salesman sold an expensive Kimber 45 to wa woman who had to be 80 if she was a day . . . again, the conversation indicated that she was not an experienced shooter but she wanted a gun for HD as she lived alone in an apartment. Takes all kinds . . . .

When the shortage was at its peak, same store, I and my friend arrived at 5:00 a.m. to get a number to stand in line for what limited supplies they did have . . . sort of the same thing your wife experienced as when your number got called, they were so rude that you just wanted to reach out and . . . .

But then, they had a monopoly . . . supplies were short, if you wanted any, you took the time and the rudeness to hopefully get either ammor or primers, powder, etc.

jonp
09-13-2016, 08:33 AM
None of you guys have ever heard of rain checks? Most states have laws that require retailers to offer a rain check if they don't inventory enough product for a listed sale price.

My wife asked. No rainchecks on doorbuster or clearance