PDA

View Full Version : If you dont have your own "hookup" for scrap lead, is it worth it?

Stopsign32v
09-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Id like to get into cowboy loading as accurate as possible to the 19th century loads. Im starting with 45 colt and plan to use Goex fffg. The mould Ive found is a Lyman 454190, not sure how historically accurate that is. However my main concern is lack of lead. I do t have the time or place to run around finding tire weights or other stuff. So Id be limited to buying lead ingots. With that in mind does it really make sense to get into it?

oteroman
09-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Yes.
Figure 1 buck a pound delivered, worst case.
Cheap.

CASTER OF LEAD
09-10-2016, 03:08 PM
As far as making sense, that all depends on you really. For me , the casting game is a passion that I wish I would have learned 20 or more years ago. From my point of view this is a "loaded" question. To me I sounds like something I would pursue,but ultimately that is your call. I guess it really depends on how badly you want it. Buying the stuff to get started is the easy part. Cost effective, maybe not . However this too depends on how many rounds etc. Your gonna need per month ,week, weekend. Give it a try i say , just my .02 - CASTER

Beagle333
09-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Buy it here. Lots of guys selling range scrap, cheap. You won't beat the price enough by running around to make up for the gas/time wasted. My .02
Happy shooting!

DerekP Houston
09-10-2016, 03:10 PM
even at a dollar a lb delivered it has been fun and cheaper for me to go this route. I just recently found some scrap yards willing to sell to me, so it has gotten even cheaper. In any event I find it an enjoyable hobby and like being self sufficient "just in case".

jmort
09-10-2016, 03:13 PM
7000 grains, i.e. one pound of lead range scrap or COWW will make 44 158 grain bullets. Even at $2.00 a pound you are at 4.5 cents per bullet. Yes it is worth it, especially if you zero out your time. Some like to play golf and some like to cast. To each their own.

Walter Laich
09-10-2016, 03:20 PM
I look on casting as another hobby. Enjoy making my own and am into powder coating them now. Keeps me off the streets when I'm not cowboy shooting

Stopsign32v
09-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Ok, well good. You guys officially talked me into it. Now to research a good beginner smelter.

toallmy
09-10-2016, 03:30 PM
I'll say it , you will save a fortune . Although you will probably invest it back into more stuff and more shooting . That's still saving on shooting right ...

toallmy
09-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Ok now we're getting somewhere ,l didn't realize you were already hooked . I was posting wile you were stopsign 32v

Echo
09-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Check with member here handle The Captain. She has always done me right.

NoAngel
09-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Everyone has a different answer because everyone's time has a different value to them. If I had to pay for my lead, I would certainly buy all my pistol bullets and only cast for serious rifle loads.

dverna
09-10-2016, 05:47 PM
My last bulk purchase of 92-6-2 was from Mayco. $1.63/ lb delivered to my door. I can get range scrap for $1/lb delivered to my post office.

I will not waste time and money scrounging lead. And finding it will only get worse. Sometimes you can find scrap lead, or it finds you. That is a bonus.

Work the numbers and determine if it is worth it to you. I hate casting but I save quite a bit even by buying alloy. But I shoot quite a bit.

gwpercle
09-10-2016, 07:39 PM
We call it "the addiction"...does it make sense ?
I've done it since 1968 and never thought about it making sense . Does playing golf make sense ?
It's my hobby, I find it relaxing and have always gotten a kick of turning dirty scrap metal into shiny clean perfectly cast projectiles that I can custom tailor to my handgun. I kind of enjoy tracking down and scoring some lead. I can't stand playing golf . I drew a set of house plans for a fellow and he paid me for the plans in wheel weights....he was happy , I was happy and we both thought it was a delightful arrangement.
I also like not being dependent on another for my boolit supply , I can make what I want, when I want it and exactly how I want them .. I guess I find a certain self satisfaction in doing it. Is it worth it...it is to me.
Gary

Budzilla 19
09-10-2016, 08:21 PM
It's an addiction, you'll love it! Scrounging lead, tin, and remelting lead, casting new boolits yourself, loading and shooting those rounds, you get to say " I loaded those, and
I made them myself!!!" Have fun with it. P.s. You get to shoot a LOT MORE for the same bucks! Just my .02 cents

Half Dog
09-10-2016, 08:30 PM
To me, casting is another enjoyable part of the shooting process. I might not be the most knowledgeable but it helps me unwind.

scottfire1957
09-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Ultimately, it is up to you to decide. It is your time, money and effort, not mine.

Seriously, only you can figure the answer. Put pencil to paper and figger it out.

shoot-n-lead
09-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Everyone has a different answer because everyone's time has a different value to them. If I had to pay for my lead, I would certainly buy all my pistol bullets and only cast for serious rifle loads.

X 2 on this...I am pretty sure that if it had been necessary for me to buy the lead...I would probably have never started casting. But, that was also back in the day when ww's grew wild.

runfiverun
09-10-2016, 09:35 PM
the 454190 on top of black powder and a 1-40 tin alloy would be about as authentic as factory ammo from the turn of the last century.

Strtspdlx
09-10-2016, 09:42 PM
I'd rather pay 500$ for a thousand rounds of ammo verse $45 for a thousand rounds all day everyday. Casting was the worst hobby I could pick up so far. If I had my choice I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather spend the extra money. In today's world what's a couple hundred dollars extra and being defendant on someone else making it.

Ps: that's my attempt at sarcasm, for me I love it. There's too many good things about it. But to keep it sweet and simple. I like sitting at a bench watching perfect bullets drop from a mold. It isn't as enjoyable when they aren't perfect but you win some and lose some.

country gent
09-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Another reason to cast is that you want or need to shoot a bullet that isnt readily available from commercial casters. This may be a light for caliber bullet to reduce recoil ( popular in cowboy shooting ) or a special bullet for mid to long range. Casting yourself, quality control and how close you want your bullets is up to you also. And you can fine tune an alloy right to your gun and what you want to do. Another thing to consider is buying scrap lead to start, You have to smelt render it to clean it, Possibly rem,elt and alloy it to what you want so by the 2nd or 3rd melting you may get to cast bullets. Buy buying clean known ingots they can go in the pot be melted and bullets cast. Most places selling clean alloies on the market ( Buffalo arms, roto metals) offer discounts for quanity and specials thru out the year. You need to decide what works for you and How you want to do it. Another plus when starting out is the known alloy removes some questions if you have problems.

OverMax
09-11-2016, 12:06 AM
For your convenience. Its practical to buy cast bullets than make them. Being new to the sport. You may change your mind?

Mk42gunner
09-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Ok, well good. You guys officially talked me into it. Now to research a good beginner smelter.
If you buy clean ingots, you don't really need a smelting setup; but a stoutly constructed turkey fryer works well for that.

For casting, get an electric pot, much easier to deal with than the excess heat given off by a cast iron pot and Coleman stove. For the money, the Lee 4-20 can't be beaten. The RCBS Promelt is a better unit, but I would not buy one new, especially if you are starting out (I bought mine used after several years of using the 4-20).

Also get a either a Lyman of RCBS dipper, the 4-20 is easy to use for dipping as well as bottom pouring.

Robert

WILCO
09-11-2016, 12:40 AM
However my main concern is lack of lead. I do t have the time or place to run around finding tire weights or other stuff.

Path of least resistance. I no longer chase after lead. I simply go where it's abundant or it comes to me. Put out the word you're in need of lead. Purchase ready alloy at the best market price. Life is too short.

sw282
09-11-2016, 01:56 AM
Growing up Mama made a lot of my clothes. l still have a couple items and cherish them .
We could afford store bought but they were not as nice as what Mama made..
Making boolits kinda reminds me of Mama..l can afford store bought but prefer my own..
Finding old and making something new with lead is even better. With my own hands I did it..
Just like Mama

fredj338
09-11-2016, 04:43 AM
At $1/#, I would still cast. Much more than that, I would probably buy commercial & live with the limitations, at least for general plinking/shooting. I scrounge at a couple clubs I shoot, but am not opposed to paying $1/#.

toallmy
09-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Someone should mention store bought ( boolits ) as well , there is a lot of good quality reasonably affordable stuff out there ,

Wayne Smith
09-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Nobody yet has mentioned the best reason. Fit is king. When someone else casts I have no control over diameter within a small range. Cast my own and I can have my mold made to fit my gun (Accurate and others) and I know it will fit.

mold maker
09-11-2016, 08:10 AM
I feel for all the time deprived and challenged folks that can't take advantage of our hobby. Those who have too much money to enjoy our sport, have my pity. It's not that we have to do it. It's the challenge that drives us to be as self-reliant as possible.
It's the pure joy of successfully doing, for fun,what out forefathers had to do to survive.
It's being able to vastly improve on the limits of mass-production and cheapest bidder.

slim1836
09-11-2016, 08:35 AM
I don't need to buy any lead. I started looking down around railroad tracks and edges of the road. I started asking tire shops and garages and walked around their lots. It's all good exercise.

I put the word out at work, friends, and family and wheel weights just seem to appear on occasion. Word of mouth around town is an asset.

I have more than I need but I still look, it's become a way of life.

Slim

Ken in Iowa
09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Welcome Stopsign. One of the reasons that I began casting was the short supply of .311-.312" bullets for my Mosins. It is also easy to tailor reduced loads with cast.

Our family does a lot of Cowboy Action shooting. I was buying BHN 12 boolits from Missouri Bullet and was completely satisfied with our CAS loads with smokeless. I mentioned that I started casting to some CAS partners and was given 200# of WW lead with more available free for the taking.

Beware that with Black powder you will want to use lube suitable for the purpose. As Runfiverun mentioned, 40 to 1 lead/tin mix is appropriate for your 45 Colt.

It does not take a huge investment to get started in casting. Dad used the gas kitchen stove when I was a kid.

243winxb
09-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Free alloy is the only way for me. If buying alloy, just buy the bullets ready made.

Stopsign32v
09-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Free alloy is the only way for me. If buying alloy, just buy the bullets ready made.

From whom?

Ken in Iowa
09-11-2016, 12:35 PM
From whom?

Here are a couple of sources for black powder boolits.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

http://cowboybullets.com

There are a number of good commercial casters offering hard cast bullets with hard commercial lube for smokeless. These might not work well using black.

Stopsign32v
09-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Here are a couple of sources for black powder boolits.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

http://cowboybullets.com

There are a number of good commercial casters offering hard cast bullets with hard commercial lube for smokeless. These might not work well using black.

I already have 250 from Whytelether but I can't help but think it would be cheaper to do it myself. My thought is this...

Buy some lead ingots from online somewhere
Get the Lee 4-20 pot
454190 mould

Have at it

imashooter2
09-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Most folks don't have a steady supply. They hook up a bit here and a bit there and once in a rare while, they make a big score. Always be looking, and it can surprise you what you find and where you find it.

shootinfox2
09-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Check the local craigslist. Picked Up 300 pounds for .75 a pound.

Fox

dondiego
09-11-2016, 04:26 PM
As Wilco and Slim mentioned, tell all of your friends and family that you are looking for lead, wheel weights, solder, pewter, old fishing weights, any scrap lead. You'd be surprised at what will turn up. Know any roofers or plumbers?

KReider477
09-11-2016, 04:53 PM
If you live in an area that has boat yards they sometimes have ship keels that are solid lead. They are big and heavy but they are usually a pretty good mix. You can do some research and find out what mix based on year of manufacture and make of boat. But I warn you they can be very hard to get off.

I have lucked into a 300 pound boat keel and when I figure out the alloy I plan of melting it down bit by bit and supplying myself and some friends.

I should mention I am lucky enough to live on the largest fresh water lake in the world so we have a boat or 2 around.

Baja_Traveler
09-11-2016, 06:19 PM
If you are going for accuracy forget the Goex and use Swiss - or at least Olde Eynsford.
Much more consistent powders that use superior charcoal, and burn with less fouling.

jimb16
09-11-2016, 09:38 PM
These guys are all lying to you. You will NOT save any money! BUT you will do a lot more shooting for the same money! Its your choice...same money 5 times as much shooting...

Tazza
09-11-2016, 11:15 PM
I started casting when the powers that be, decided to ban .45s, i had a few thousand hard cast projectiles that i would not get compensated for, so what do you do? that's right, melt them down and turn them into 9mm ones.

I have lost count of how much i spent on the gear do do it, but it has been paid off many times over since i started vs what it would have cost me to buy them from the shop.

I haven't shot any more or less since starting, but it does leave me with more money in my pocket, for my wife to take and spend......

dikman
09-12-2016, 03:07 AM
I don't like thinking about how much money (and time, although the time isn't really much of an issue) that I've put into casting, and now reloading, since I started about four years ago. Smelters, bottom pours, molds, assorted presses, powder, primers/caps plus a heap of other bits and pieces. Initially I bought scrap lead from the scrap yard, and for some time now I've been recovering range scrap from my local pistol club (probably about 2,000 lbs so far) which I use for Cowboy Action shooting. Am I saving money? Probably not, given my investment over a short time. Am I having fun? Definitely :D.

As for trying to be historically accurate, FFg would be a closer fit powder-wise. Most Cowboy shooters use coated boolits, and while they may not be historically accurate they are a lot less trouble than using uncoated lubed boolits (no leading, for one thing). If you do use coated boolits with BP then you will still need to lube them (I didn't and gunked up my barrels pretty bad!!!).

But it's all good fun.

fredj338
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I feel for all the time deprived and challenged folks that can't take advantage of our hobby. Those who have too much money to enjoy our sport, have my pity. It's not that we have to do it. It's the challenge that drives us to be as self-reliant as possible.
It's the pure joy of successfully doing, for fun,what out forefathers had to do to survive.
It's being able to vastly improve on the limits of mass-production and cheapest bidder.
While that is all well & good, if you are buying alloy, how self sufficient are you??? I really enjoy casting but if I am paying the same amount of $$ for alloy & then have to make the bullets too, buying them seems a bit more cost effective. I do like the fact that I can make my own bullets, what ever & how many I want, all I need is to scrounge alloy. If it got really ugly, there is always scrounging from shotgun shells or just all the college kids & teachers car tire weights.;-)

fatelvis
09-14-2016, 05:55 AM
I finally found a benefit of having Plumber friends... Pure lead ingots and 95/5 solder as far as the eye can see! Lol

chumly2071
09-15-2016, 11:07 AM
if buying alloy from Rotometals or similar at $2+ per pound, then by the time I do that, i can buy the common calibers of cast and coated projectiles from SNS and pay very little more to get coated projectiles ready to run and not invest any time (especially since they are local to me). If buying reclaim or wheel weights at good prices, it is definitely worth my time, and gives me some independence from the ebb and flow of supply, demand, and regulation, not to mention the ability if needed to cast for obscure or specialized calibers. I need to stock up on more raw materials, but finances are needed in multiple places.