PDA

View Full Version : Well That SUCKS!!!!

Freightman
09-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Went to the reloading shop for primers he said he was having a hard time getting them so would only sell me a 1000. Doom despair and excessive misery if it weren't for bad luck would have no luck at all.

OS OK
09-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Have had to deal with this scenario out here for years now...have to make more trips into town to get any quantity built up. Now that I have I try to replace them as I use them to keep the base-line minimum stock and add some more when I think about it.

That ain't so bad though, at least you got a thousand!

B. Lumpkin
09-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Order on the internet. The hazmat sucks, but is really kind of a wash compared to gas used driving around and looking plus the inconvenience of finding some and being limited in amount. Now I just click "buy" and get on with my day. A couple days later my stuff shows up in the quantity I want. I refuse to darken the doors of sellers who out limits on how much you can buy. Bleeding heart, everybody gets a piece of the pie, Bernie sanders lovers!

toallmy
09-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Online shopping for me ,and buy in bulk . I have all but given up on powder and primers in my area .

eveready
09-10-2016, 02:32 PM
I lucked out yesterday, walked out of my dealers with 5000 Federal small pistol primers. His distributor got a large shipment and let him have as many as he wanted. Thats as good as hitting the lottery.

Washington1331
09-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Lately, online seems to be the way to go. Most of the local stores in my area have transitioned to the cheap bulk Russian steel case ammunition and let their reloading supplies dwindle. I guess the new generation of millennials go for bulk cheap cannon fodder and don't want to "waste" time getting into reloading.

The local gun stores (which are now few and far between) have dried up, and BassPro is hit or miss. I save myself the gas, and frustration and just buy online.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-10-2016, 03:02 PM
I have bought online since 2008. Local gunshops started rationing and jacking up the price to the point that the hazmat fee didn't look so bad.

Freightman
09-10-2016, 06:07 PM
I order online when I can the last two years has been tough I almost lost a leg to an infection in 2015 and just getting over that when my wife had breast cancer all my money has went to medical. I may have to bite the bullet and put 10 K on a credit card and pay it off with my part time job I just started. By the way I have been past retirement age for 13 years. but I will make it past these dummies we have in our government. Never surrender never!!!!!!!!

starmac
09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
If everybody orders online, there will be no more lgs's in short order. They are getting scarce as it is.

In a way I am kind of glad we can't order powder or primers online here, at least it is giving our dealers a chance, it does suck when they can't get it though.

rancher1913
09-10-2016, 09:38 PM
I agree with you a hundred percent starmac but my local sgs sells primers for 50-60 bucks a brick and I can order online for 25 per brick with free shipping, even adding on the hazmat its still way cheaper.

runfiverun
09-10-2016, 09:38 PM
didn't gander Mtn or cabelas just have a sale on primers plus have free shipping on orders over 99 bucks?
it might still be going on.

waksupi
09-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Primers were back down to $25/ 1000 at the gun show this weekend. Retailers shelves are full of .22.

Quick, panic NOW, before the election!

Freightman
09-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I have always bought local if possible but if he can't get them and I can online then it looks like online here I come.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-11-2016, 10:21 AM
If everybody orders online, there will be no more lgs's in short order. They are getting scarce as it is.

In a way I am kind of glad we can't order powder or primers online here, at least it is giving our dealers a chance, it does suck when they can't get it though.

I am all for supporting local businesses, but gouging is different. The local guys were gouging with prices nearly double the online price. On top of gouging they were rationing out primers and powder.

dverna
09-11-2016, 10:49 AM
I buy almost all my reloading stuff on line. Just ordered 40k Winchester rifle primers last week and like R5R stated - got free shipping. (I started a thread on it)

I understand that many people cannot spend that much at one time. Try to find friends or other members at your shooting club that will split an order with you. (Get the money up front - lesson learned) Primers and powder can be shipped on the same HazMat fee. Tell them when you find good deals and they will thank you for including them.

BTW, waksupi is correct....not stocking up now is poor planning. Prices are not bad and if Hillary wins, prices will go up if you can even find stuff.

I bought two jugs of Varget at full retail a few week ago from the LGS as I had been unable to find anything but the occasional 1 lb jar for two years. I was down to 1 jug and had started "hoarding" 4895 as it would work and was obtainable. Later, I found that Varget was available at Camp Perry for about $20 less per jug but at least I got the stuff. When I get to my minimum inventory of something I need, or really want, I do not worry about price too much. I normally have sufficient inventory and purchase most of my supplies when I can get a decent deal.

B. Lumpkin
09-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Honestly, if I were an avid shooter, and didn't have the funds to stock up a big supply in the next 2 months, then I would get a personal loan from a bank.

If the witch gets in then you are stocked up and set for a looooooong time. You won't even remember the interest rate while you are at the range, and it's not like you couldn't recoup the money if you wanted to. Probably come out ahead, actually.

If Trump gets in, well, at least you are stocked for life, lol.

WILCO
09-11-2016, 10:56 AM
I am all for supporting local businesses, but gouging is different. The local guys were gouging with prices nearly double the online price. On top of gouging they were rationing out primers and powder.

There is no gouging. Only voting with your wallet.

runfiverun
09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
if I see stupid prices on stuff I just buy something else. [maybe even somewhere else]
if I see a good price on something I just suck it up and buy it all [Winchester shot shell primers at 24.00? yep I will take all 10 boxes]
when powder was scarce I just bought some brass, when the brass shelves went down I bought some primers.
I just keep chugging along adding what I can, when I can, even if it's just a box of primers a month [or that box of red tagged J-words at 19.00] it all starts to pile up and allows me to easily ride out the rough spots.

it about broke my heart to open that last jug of red-dot last week marked 111.00 on the price tag.
but I sucked it up and cracked the seal, I know the next one to replace it will be 150.00.
but... yep at least I got the 40 dollar savings when I bought it before all this stuff started.

edler7
09-11-2016, 01:54 PM
I live about 30 minutes from Powder Valley. Give 'em a call, go get my order 2 days later. The only fly in the ointment is my wife has found an antique store there she REALLY likes, but one hand washes the other around here.

[smilie=1:

Four-Sixty
09-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Running a brick and mortar store, and not having near the buying power of a large volume retailer you'll have to charge more for primers than those who sell on-line. Sometimes keeping your local gun shop in business is going to cost you a little premium. I don't have a shop. Just something to think about when you do your business.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Red Dot $150 ? Maybe?
Last week, I brought home a 8lb jug of Promo, $165 OTD (includes MN taxes), and this LGS usually has pretty good pricing on powder. The Jug I really wanted was H4895, but I passed as I think I'm good with that powder for now and it was priced at $189 before taxes.

dverna
09-11-2016, 03:12 PM
The last four jugs of Promo I bought were $68 plus tax at the Ohio State shoot a few years ago. I already had 8 jugs but could not pass up a great deal. My buddy thought I was nuts. LOL.

This year they had Titewad for $99. Like a dufus, I passed on it. I will regret that decision. Broke my own policy....always buy when you see a deal.

BTW if you live near where a major shooting event is being held go there even if you do not wish to compete as you can usually find decent prices. I buy quite a bit from AJ Brenner at trap shoots. It is family run and they are great people. No credit cards so bring cash or check. Dawson is another vendor with reasonable pricing.

geezer56
09-25-2016, 10:00 AM
When you find a deal. BUY IT!! Don't hesitate. I bought 10K of primers at the last gunshow for $180 out the door. Bought 2 jugs of powder for $150 each. Not a screaming deal but not too bad either.

snowwolfe
09-25-2016, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen a shortage of any primers for well over a year.