PDA

View Full Version : Paratroopers Coming In!!

nicholst55
09-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I just drove over to the PX to grab a few items, and caught a parachute canopy in my peripheral vision. Then another. I looked up, and saw six more coming in! Nope, not the Russians/Chinese/Norks invading. Freefall jumpers, from the Military Freefall School, landing on the parade ground/park/ball field. They all landed in a very small area, too! They normally jump into the various outlying Drop Zones, but today they did one of their periodic jumps into Cox Field, right in the heart of the main administrative area!

The Military Freefall School is located here at YPG, where they train people from all the services (and allied countries) in freefall parachuting. A couple of years ago I asked an instructor how many freefall jumps he had in his log; a little over 2,000 at that time!

FWIW, the freefall instructors brag that when they get old and stiff (and can't perform to their full potential), they'll try out for the Golden Knights - the Army's parachute demonstration team.

jonp
09-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Sweet! In jump school I actualy went over the hood of a car driven by a very anxious lady who didnt look surprised but worried I would scratch her paint.
The instructor ran over and asked if I was alright.
"Uh..yeah"
"Nice plf..what the **** are you doing on my pavement? Front leaning rest....begin..1,2,3 1..1,2,3..2...lol

Iowa Fox
09-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Reminds me of the spring 1969. The Golden Knights were just across from our barracks. We would hit the Sport Parachute club, pack chutes upstairs then hit the bar downstairs and drink beer before the jumps the next morning.