PDA

View Full Version : NEI, why the beef?

omgb
09-06-2016, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking about buying a mould from NEI but I hesitate because I've seen some very strong opinions about them. What gives? Is there a problem with them?

runfiverun
09-06-2016, 10:51 PM
yep Walt Died.
the give a crud went with him.
unfortunately the new owner has most of the know how and the talent, the give a crud and any type of customer service he don't got.

Kraschenbirn
09-06-2016, 11:27 PM
yep Walt Died.
the give a crud went with him. unfortunately the new owner has most of the know how and the talent, the give a crud and any type of customer service he don't got.

Runfive has got it exactly!! Last time I tried get in touch with them (about getting a GC version of an NEI mold that I already owned) the person answering the phone tried to convince me that what I had wasn't one of theirs because the ID # wasn't in their current catalog then, when I explained that over the years Walt had done three or four custom molds for me, she said that she'd have someone get back to me. No returned...no reply to my e-mails.

Bill

shortfal
09-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Thing is they have molds no one else has as I see it. Try to find a mold for the 125 gr .324 gas check bullet for the 8 Kurz round. Got it from them in a reasonable amount of time . Could not find elsewhere. I recall something just slightly negative about the transaction but no biggie and the mold is fine. I'd buy from them again without hesitation.
Pete

Artful
09-07-2016, 12:42 AM
The creator of NEI Walt Melander (R.I.P.) died in 2002. His Daughter and her husband (Joel - I think?)
Took over the Business but are not Walt - He produced some quality works of Craftsmanship

- NOE for group buys or what they stock and Accurate for custom designs are my suggestions.

leftiye
09-07-2016, 05:55 AM
I've bought several Mountain Molds molds and for a custom mold (you draw the picture and choose the dimensions) they are first rate accurate to specs and at a reasonable cost too. Brass available if you like it.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-07-2016, 10:22 AM
It is some time since I bought a Mountain Moulds mould, and around a quarter century since I bought an NEI one. Both were extremely good, and although what people say about the post-Walt regime at NEI is often enough said to be convincing, I think most of the moulds are made with his cherries and his equipment. There is a pretty fair chance that you will end up with a mould as good as he could have done - and a slight chance that you will end up complaining. I haven't heard any first-hand accounts that they dig their heels in in such cases.

Mountain Moids' design-it-yourself utility is fascinating and informative, and they post a lead time on their website, which I believe they keep to. But their biggest snag is that you need to leave a large nose flat, which is a good thing on some bullets but not on smallbore rifle ones. NEI have no difficulty in doing very bullet-shaped bullets. Mountain Molds sayo on their website that they plan to introduce some pointed target bullets in 2016, but it's September already.

44man
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Wonder why I make my own? A mess up goes in the trash. But my revolver boolits have never been beat. I sent them but changes were made. NOT!

GWM
09-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Accurate and Mountain molds are outstanding semi-custom makers, but no spitzer or round nose designs are possible. Only NOE and NEI does that, but then they are not custom makers. If it's not a stock item or a successful group buy then it's not available. You may get lucky but spitzer and round nose designs are still hard to get.

GWM
09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
CBE out of Australia actually have some interesting designs, but nothing for 8mm Kurz i believe.

MT Chambers
09-07-2016, 02:03 PM
I was a steady customer of NEI but had to return the last 3 molds I ordered, undersized, not well machined.....there are so many other good makers out there now, like Accurate, NOE, Mountain, LBT, etc......I'd go with one of those. Even the good production molds are better, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, etc.

omgb
09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Called the today with questions. I wasnt real satisfied with the result. So Im either going with a Brooks mold or an Accurate mold. I need a 12 bore mold and most cant handle blocks of that size

tygar
09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm a NOE & Accurate fan, but also, LBT. Nobody has mentioned Veral. He'll make most anything, I think. He sure spent a lot of time helping me with all my dumb questions. I like his mold also.

Shiloh
09-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Good to know they aren't the same company.

Shiloh

country gent
09-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Ill also recomend Old West Moulds Bernie ROwels has treated me good and does quality work and fairly quickly.

runfiverun
09-07-2016, 11:31 PM
OWBM turns out some super nice molds.

Artful
09-07-2016, 11:43 PM
I was a steady customer of NEI but had to return the last 3 molds I ordered, undersized, not well machined.....

Can you give us a time frame on when this transpired?

Harry O
09-08-2016, 10:31 PM
I think most of the moulds are made with his cherries and his equipment. There is a pretty fair chance that you will end up with a mould as good as he could have done - and a slight chance that you will end up complaining. I haven't heard any first-hand accounts that they dig their heels in in such cases.

My last NEI mould was post-Walt. I bought a couple of 41 Long Colt moulds from him and was on the phone with him about another just a few days before he had a heart attack. I don't know if my last mould was from one of his original cherries, although I doubt it. It was supposed to be a stock standard 180gr 38-40 bullet. When I cast with it from 30:1 lead:tin, it was 20 grains heavier than what was advertised. In addition, it was too long to function in an 1873 Winchester Clone. The distance from the front of the bullet to the front of the crimping groove was about 0.030" too long. That is a LOT wrong in an 1873. I called them about it. They said it was my problem. They said it worked for them. They suggested I use Lyman #2 and said it would give me the weight and length they advertised.

I did not believe it, but I went ahead and mixed up a small batch of Lyman #2 and cast a few bullets. There was very little change in weight or length. Certainly not enough of a change to function in the 1873. I let them know, but they still insisted it was still my problem, not theirs. I still have it, but cannot use it.

Is this first hand enough?

GWM
09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Nobody has mentioned Veral. He'll make most anything, I think.

Sorry, how do you mean?

Will he make a spitzer?
Will he make a round nose?
Will he make a custom design?
Will he answer a question by email?

Travelor
09-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Why not get this mold: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=32_247&osCsid=0qqjs0sojo5i5p31kbphlv9cj3

I have had excellent service from NOE and if you call you speak with the owner who is VERY helpful.

Jack Stanley
09-09-2016, 03:19 PM
My first one was made while Walt was alive and it's a great four cavity mold . The next ones were after he had passed and were not even a passing resemblance of his work except for the name on the blocks . I'm not going to by that kind of name .

Very .... VERY happy with all the molds from LBT .

Jack

quasi
09-17-2016, 01:18 AM
no love for Mihec?