PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the need for hard copies of load data.

Strtspdlx
09-05-2016, 01:50 PM
I have the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook as well as a few "rags" with various load data and some load data that came with Lee dies I had purchased. I'm more or less looking for something much like the Lyman cast book as it has data as well as articles with useful information. I very quickly searched for anything helpful and found myself hating the fact that I have to read everything on a 5" screen. So if anyone could recommend some useful literature so I could cross reference loads and such to work up new loads id greatly appreciate it. My primary calipers of concern are currently 45acp, 40s&w, 38special, 357 magnum, 44special, 44 magnum, and possible some 30 caliber rifle data but that won't be for a long time. Thanks.

Tatume
09-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I heartily recommend the latest editions of the Sierra, Speer, Hornady, and Hodgdon reloading manuals. With less enthusiasm I recommend the Nosler and Barnes manuals.

Yodogsandman
09-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Find a Lyman #3 Cast Bullet Manual.

For casting books and articles, go to the NRA Cast Bullet Handbook, LASC.com site and castpics.com site. Read this downloadable book...

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Read all the stickies that you can, before your eyes cross.

NavyVet1959
09-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Uhh... Get a larger screen?

I see Fry's has a Memorex 4K 55" screen today on sale for $347 (with the promo code).

You're just getting old. Start carrying around a magnifying glass. I have a 20x jeweler's loupe that I keep with me to read the fine print on things sometimes.

runfiverun
09-05-2016, 09:52 PM
you can zoom in with your cell phone.
that's why I take one of the kids with me to look at guns here and there.

there is 2 way's to go about collecting pertinent data.
get it from the powder suppliers, or get it from the bullet makers.
I do both, and supplement it with the yearly magazine thingy from hodgdon.

Lyman has a good series of books on different subjects.
pistol, rifle, shot-shell, black powder.
they are all very well worth having on hand, especially if you don't know where the shooting winds will blow you later on down the road.

Strtspdlx
09-06-2016, 09:47 AM
The sad part is I'm 28. I'm just tired of looking at my cell phone screen. When we bought our house we didn't realize that all the major internet companies didn't have what was needed to get cable to our house. They offered us install at $4500. So we declined. Right now I'm stuck downloading and transferring files on my lunch break to try and read at home in my spare time. I'm hoping by December well have access to Internet at our home. But who knows if it will come to fruition. That's why I like books. I don't need the Internet or a bigger screen to read a book. I just have to put on my glasses or have my contacts in. As a side note I'm fairly blind speaking relatively. I picked a good hobby so long as I don't try and reach out further then 80~yards with irons on a rifle or 25~yds with a pistol.

Uhh... Get a larger screen?

I see Fry's has a Memorex 4K 55" screen today on sale for $347 (with the promo code).

You're just getting old. Start carrying around a magnifying glass. I have a 20x jeweler's loupe that I keep with me to read the fine print on things sometimes.

MT Gianni
09-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Go to Able books and get older copies of loading manuals. Often had for 1.4 new price they are a valuable source of info for powders that didn't debut last year.

mdi
09-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Useful info? As Tatume noted, excellent data plus "how to sections" available from bullet manufacturer's manuals. Lyman 49th and now 50th Edition manuals are very popular and also have excellent "how to" sections. I, too, recommend the Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet handbook over the 4th, as is seems more new caster friendly and I don't do any black powder cartridge shooting (lots of info there). Basically, IMO, nearly any published reloading manual is better than on-line info...:wink:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Well, if you're OK with looking at J-word data and understanding how to use that for CB, then get all the powder manufacturers data, it's usually free, contact them on their website, they'll usually send out a paper manual (Hodgdon, Accurate, Winchester).

I also like Lee's 2nd edition reloading manual, it has a most comprehensive collection of data in print, that I know of, but just know, it's all someone elses data, that they've mined and reprinted. There are a few clinkers in there, so double check and triple check.

I have a copy of RCBS's cast bullet reloading manual, it's older and fairly limited in data, but it is still good to have one hand.

My very first reloading manual was "Nick Harvey's practical reloading manual". He is Australian, so there is some metric/Euro loads, as well as all the common calibers, it's pretty comprehensive. All his data is from personal experience, as I understand it, so it is another one to have for double checking loads.

Anytime you can stumble onto older manuals, whether at a garage sale or thrift store or auction, you can usually get reloading manuals cheap, I have bought several from garage sales for 25¢ or 50¢...but it takes time to hit all the sales.

besides reloading manuals, there are some old NRA reprints out there that have helped me.

NavyVet1959
09-06-2016, 11:47 AM
The sad part is I'm 28. I'm just tired of looking at my cell phone screen. When we bought our house we didn't realize that all the major internet companies didn't have what was needed to get cable to our house. They offered us install at $4500. So we declined. Right now I'm stuck downloading and transferring files on my lunch break to try and read at home in my spare time. I'm hoping by December well have access to Internet at our home. But who knows if it will come to fruition. That's why I like books. I don't need the Internet or a bigger screen to read a book. I just have to put on my glasses or have my contacts in. As a side note I'm fairly blind speaking relatively. I picked a good hobby so long as I don't try and reach out further then 80~yards with irons on a rifle or 25~yds with a pistol.

Does your phone have a data plan and can it connect from your home? If so, you set up a wi-fi hotspot and share that data plan with your computer that has a larger screen.

Considering how small New Jersey is and how densely populated, I'm surprised that you don't have either DSL or cable modem internet at your home. Have you checked with Windstream yet?

gwpercle
09-06-2016, 12:25 PM
If you don't already have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition, get it for sure. The 3rd Edition is good also if you can get one...lots of older powders and cast boolits in it.
After that the Speer , Hornady and Sierra manuals make up my references .

After purchasing two powders I had never tried before Accurate No.5 and HP-38 , I went to the Western Powders and Hodgdon load data sites , downloaded and printed all the information on the calibers , powders and bullet types I was interested in, punched holes in the sheets and put them in some 5 Star school binders ..... now I have my home made free "loading manuals" that can be easily updated . It was easy to do and cost nearly nothing.
Looking at data , even on a larger screen, gets old fast...I like the book/binder/printed page better.
Gary

Greg
09-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Strtspdlx -

Cornell Publications has reprints of three different, Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets, along with many of the Ideal and or Lyman Handbooks.

Lyman just released their 50th Hand Book for Reloaders. Lyman’s 4th Handbook of Cast Bullets should still be available.

I’ve also found some reloading books on abebooks.com from bullet manufacturers, along with powder companies…Winchester, DuPont, Hercules and Alliant.

Western Powders has load data for a few dollars, and I recommend the Hodgdon Annual Manual. Alliant Powder will send their Powder Data with an e-mail request.

my small town Library has a computer Room, which Library card holders can utilize, as does the community college. maybe you can find a local Library to for temporary web access to order what you would like.

I started reloading @ 1970 with a Hercules pamphlet that’s some 6 pages long. Still have it and refer to it often.

Never could figure why Ideal insisted you toss the older editions, when the new edition was published. I still enjoy the articles of more than 100 years ago about our hobby.

mdi
09-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Reloading manuals are much more than data lists. Lot's of valuable info in the "how to" sections, more than just "how to". If one only uses a specific j bullet then a manual from that manufacturer is best, if one loads a variety of both jacketed and cast, Lyman's reloading handbook is prolly the best around...

Of all my manuals my first choice is prolly Lyman's 49th. Then If I'm using Hornady bullets, then I'll go first to my Hornady manual. My Hodgdon manual is one my desk, for quick reference without going out to the shop. My last choice and seldom used, is the Lee manual (nope not a Lee hater).

John Boy
09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
So if anyone could recommend some useful literature so I could cross reference loads and such to work up new loads id greatly appreciate it.
http://reloadammo.com/