PDA

View Full Version : ruger # 1 45-70 fun

bigted
09-05-2016, 03:16 AM
well got to fumbling around on the lever site here and stumbled onto a posting for low slow end loads in 45-70. so having some leftover pure lead 350 grain boolits in .460 inch diameter i remembered my poor ol ruger that sets mostly alone for great periods of time. so i pulled the #1 out and dusted it off for some fun.

i loaded these 350's over a load of 14 grains of trail boss powder sparked with cci 200 large rifles primers and no crimp ... just taken out the flair from some winchester cases with just a slight neck size done and seated the lead boolit to just kiss the rifling.

short story long ... shooting these was a gas and a half. careful 25 yard shooting would net me 7/8ths group as long as i did my trigger work correctly. my these are fun and i gotta load a bunch more now to see what they will do at 50 and 100 yd range.

no smoke to peer thru ... no recoil ... easy on the rifle and shooter ... man why dont i do this more often ... just plain fun shooting with nothing to prove to nobody.

a forgotten rifle ... light loads with a powder i had regretfully ruled for pistol only ... and some plain ol "let yer hair down" time at the range ... highly recommend this to anyone.