PDA

View Full Version : 358477dv?

dwtim
05-31-2008, 11:45 PM
I ordered a new 358477, and when I opened up the blocks, I was treated to a surprise. I've attached a comparison image with my old 358156.

The ogive is different. When did this happen? Did Lyman do this to all the 429 top-punch styles? Did they do it to all of the Keith and Thompson designs? Not that this will effect me, but how would this even fit the older top punch?

There is nothing wrong with the mold. It's built just fine. For a while I considered returning it. One one hand it is nothing like the image in the catalog, which is the only thing I have to go on. If I had seen an accurate depiction of the style, I probably would have passed. On the other hand, I'm sure it casts perfectly good boolits.

I ordered a Buick and took delivery of an Olds, it seems.

EDIT: Never mind, it's going back. I wiped away the grease in one of the blocks, and there is a crack in it. Not sure how that made it through QC.

Randall
06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I bought the same mould about 2 months ago and mine looks just like yours, my 20-25 year old 429 punch works ok with it.

dwtim
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Randall.

Lyman is going to make it right, re: the crack.

EDIT: Lyman replaced the mould free of charge, and turned it around in two business days. The new mould is perfect.