PDA

View Full Version : Need help with crimping 452460 over the forward edge of top driving band

strangwn
09-02-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm trying to use a 452460-style (200 gr SWC) boolit in .45 Colt once-fired cases. Several references have recommended roll crimping over the forward driving band. When seating (without crimping) the boolits with a Lyman .45 Colt seater, the boolits seem to fit tight enough to do the job. However, when I started the crimping process, even a light-to-moderate roll crimp is pushing the boolit further into the case and shortening the OAL from ~1.592 to as much as ~1.582. Even with cases from the same headstamp, the shortened length is not at all consistent. The boolits measure .453. I have found in the past that my Lyman carbide sizer would not sometimes size the cases well enough to get a tight boolit fit, so I had to size down a little further with a .45 ACP carbide die then expand only with a Lee Universal Expander which expands only the rim. In this latest attempt, the boolit fit seemed tight enough until I started the crimping. What are your suggestions?

Tatume
09-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Your die appears to be incorrectly adjusted. Back off the bullet seating stem several turns, or even remove it entirely. Back off the die in the press. Place a loaded, uncrimped round in the shell holder and raise the ram. Turn the die down until contact is made, then lower the ram. Slowly, part of a turn at a time, turn in the die and raise the ram each time, checking for the desired crimp. When the crimp is satisfactory lock down the die.

The Lee Universal Expander expands the case mouth, not the rim. The rim is at the other end.

Char-Gar
09-02-2016, 01:31 PM
You are trying to use a bullet designed for the 1911 autoloader in 45 ACP in the 45 Colt case. Seat the bullet to allow a good taper crimp on the bullet body below the nose and you will be good to go. You do have a 45 ACP taper crimp die do you not?

Ken in Iowa
09-02-2016, 05:49 PM
I have loaded quite a few RCBS 45-200-SWC (a clone of the Lyman 452460) in 45 Colt. They work great!

I seat and crimp in 2 stages. I seat the bullet with the case mouth in the middle of the front driving band. I use a Lee factory crimp die to put a light roll crimp into the driving band.

A taper or profile crimp die should work very well too.

bedbugbilly
09-02-2016, 06:15 PM
I use that boolit as well in 45 Colt out of my Uberti Cattleman and it is a great and accurate piece of lead to send down range. I have used a 45 cap taper crimp on it at times and then went to seating it so I could roll crimp in to the top groove towards the nose end. They fit fine in my cylinder and shoot great over 6.0 gr. of Red Dot. Putting a slight roll crimp into the top groove holds them plenty tight along with the neck tension and I've never had a problem with them trying to jump anywhere.

Like Ken, I seat and crimp in two operations on all of my reloads. And on the ones I shoot, all I do is tumble lube them in Alox/Paste Wax and they are good to go - no leading issues, etc.

runfiverun
09-02-2016, 06:52 PM
the crimp is there to keep the boolit from moving.
neck tension does the real work.
if your gonna roll crimp you need to just kiss the crimp part as a separate step.
when I run 200 swc's in my 45 colt lever guns and such I back my 45 win mag crimp die out and taper crimp with it.
the taper crimp is enough to get a 45 acp round from the magazine into the chamber on a 1911 and it's enough on a 45 colt unless your filling the case with H-110 first.
and even in that situation it's holding the boolit from being pushed into the case further sooo.

strangwn
09-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Am using my .45 taper crimp die and results look good so far.

gwpercle
09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Use your 45 acp taper crimp die and taper crimp just like you do your 45 acp rounds, readjustment of the die will be required of course .
I have done this with the Lyman 452460 200 grain SWC and the Lyman 452423 238 grain SWC intended for the 45 auto-rim . Worked OK .
To make sure I had enough tension I ran the front/mouth of the 45 Colt case into the 45 acp sizing die far enough to to size about 1/4 inch below the boolit depth. Also used 45 acp expander on them . My old 45 Colt dies were for .454 boolits and I wanted a nice tight fit on those .452 boolits..
Gary