PDA

View Full Version : No turning back

Boaz
08-29-2016, 03:26 PM
It's of small or no concern to others but you might notice I finally added a signature line at the bottom of my posts . I have been tormented by the amount of Christians that worshiped the Lord for most of their lives and now have seemingly just forgotten him . How does this happen ?

Satan is very busy these days , our Lord is still constant , he never changes . I have pondered this to no end result .Our Lord loves us so much he came to teach us in person , to live by example , to suffer and die nailed to a cross to buy our salvation .

I walked down the aisle in a small neighborhood Southern Baptist church in 1958 and committed myself to the Lord . I have strayed and wandered like most but always knew he would take me back . I never doubted his existence . I have sinned , followed my own way many times and knew he still loves me . How could I ever think to leave him ? I don't understand those that do . I don't understand .

I have known many hymns in my life but for a good while this old hymn's simple repetitious words come to me often . Why would I forsake my Lord for anything in this fallen world ? Why would I betray him ? Why would I reject his gift of eternal life ? Why ?

The old hymn covers a lot of ground with it's simple words , commitment and convection message .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2TwhEL2EPc

Truly no turning back, No turning back .

Pine Baron
08-29-2016, 03:43 PM
John 14:
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Boaz
08-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Good verse Pine Baron . Thank you brother .

Der Gebirgsjager
08-29-2016, 04:08 PM
There is, as usual, a lot of truth in what you are saying. We all have experienced what you have, or so I would think. Perhaps there are a few who, once they put their shoulder to the plough, never faltered, but I would think them exceptional. Like you said, he welcomes us back if we recognize that we've been negligent in the relationship. He knows each of us better than we know ourselves. I think that many of us have had a religious journey in that perhaps we once believed one set of doctrines, but came to accept another. We then look back and say, "How can they believe that way?" while they are probably looking at us thinking the same thing. I have often speculated about if the verse "I have other sheep that are not of this fold" might not cover the fact that none of us really have all the answers, and that once one repents, is baptized, and acknowledges that he is your Savior the doctrinal differences are of lesser importance, and are not "deal breakers". Each of us has to pursue our own relationship with the Lord and God the Father and feel comfortable in it. If one feels uneasy, they need to have a talk (pray) with him and see what is necessary to set it right. He seldom speaks directly to us, but he will show us by opening doors to which events will lead us. My thoughts--not too different from yours I suspect.

Preacher Jim
08-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Boaz I been wondering why Christians would turn away from the Lord who promised us He would never forsake us. I came to the conclusion they never knew Him in the first place they just got some religion with no relationship with the Savior.

Boaz
08-29-2016, 04:16 PM
There is, as usual, a lot of truth in what you are saying. We all have experienced what you have, or so I would think. Perhaps there are a few who, once they put their shoulder to the plough, never faltered, but I would think them exceptional. Like you said, he welcomes us back if we recognize that we've been negligent in the relationship. He knows each of us better than we know ourselves. I think that many of us have had a religious journey in that perhaps we once believed one set of doctrines, but came to accept another. We then look back and say, "How can they believe that way?" while they are probably looking at us thinking the same thing. I have often speculated about if the verse "I have other sheep that are not of this fold" might not cover the fact that none of us really have all the answers, and that once one repents, is baptized, and acknowledges that he is your Savior the doctrinal differences are of lesser importance, and are not "deal breakers". Each of us has to pursue our own relationship with the Lord and God the Father and feel comfortable in it. If one feels uneasy, they need to have a talk (pray) with him and see what is necessary to set it right. He seldom speaks directly to us, but he will show us by opening doors to which events will lead us. My thoughts--not too different from yours I suspect.

Yours is a good post and yes we think alike .Thank you .

villagelightsmith
08-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Yup. An' that's a Long-Reaching Fact. The general social acceptance of, but more importantly, our individual Knowledge of His Ownership, His Absolute Sovereignty, pervading our words and responses to others, permeating the way we conduct our business. Each man, striving toward something far greater than ourselves, and reaching toward a Life higher than we have attained. Others have said it far better than I.
But wait; think. It's what once made America possible. Here's a part of my take.
This old farm? This Freedom? It ain't my dirt. I'm just the momentary steward, holding it in sacred trust for Him. It is an heritage from all those who have gone before us, those who gave their lives and labors, their blood, sweat, and tears. And while we enjoy it, we groom and develop it for all those who will come behind us. I can not squander the wages of those who went before, or the Freedom of those who come after, for that would be to sell them into slavery. And that, is not mine to do.

Boaz
08-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Boaz I been wondering why Christians would turn away from the Lord who promised us He would never forsake us. I came to the conclusion they never knew Him in the first place they just got some religion with no relationship with the Savior.

I hate to admit your right Jim but you are . Many only went to church or talked 'GOD' because it was fashionable at the time . If you actually know our Lord there is no way you would abandon him .

Boaz
08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Yup. An' that's a Long-Reaching Fact. The general social acceptance of, but more importantly, our individual Knowledge of His Ownership, His Absolute Sovereignty, pervading our words and responses to others, permeating the way we conduct our business. Each man, striving toward something far greater than ourselves, and reaching toward a Life higher than we have attained. Others have said it far better than I.
But wait; think. It's what once made America possible. Here's a part of my take.
This old farm? This Freedom? It ain't my dirt. I'm just the momentary steward, holding it in sacred trust for Him. It is an heritage from all those who have gone before us, those who gave their lives and labors, their blood, sweat, and tears. And while we enjoy it, we groom and develop it for all those who will come behind us. I can not squander the wages of those who went before, or the Freedom of those who come after, for that would be to sell them into slavery. And that, is not mine to do.

I agree . We will pass away and what will we leave ?

jmort
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
"We will pass away and what will we leave ?"

Once we/the earth passes away, and our works are put through the purifying fire, all that is left is love/charity. Everything else gets smoked.

Blackwater
08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Amen to everything and everyone posting here. What a great thread and what great expansions on the OP. Thanks to all.

And yes, it truly IS amazing how so many trade what they can't lose, for what they can't possibly keep, just because it "shines" to us and calls us by name!

Hogtamer
08-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Boaz,
Torment is not of our Father. Consider what Paul wrote to the encourage the inner man in Phillipians: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Meditate on These Things8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things arelovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things -9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

And rejoice in this from Glenn Campbell:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zBJgmqaPA

Wayne Smith
08-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Look up "May those who come behind us find us faithful" - wonderful new song that essentially says the same thing from a different perspective.

Now as a grandfather this has more immediate meaning to me. Our son's found us faithful, and they are repeating the process. Now may my grandchildren continue to find me faithful.

Boaz
08-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Praise GOD Wayne . That is the way it is suppose to be . Raised knowing of GOD is so much better than them struggling or failing later to find him . Thank you sir .

Boaz
08-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Boaz,
Torment is not of our Father. Consider what Paul wrote to the encourage the inner man in Phillipians: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Meditate on These Things

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things arelovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things -9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

And rejoice in this from Glenn Campbell:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zBJgmqaPA

I reread Philippians week before last . Part of Paul's prison episiel letters . Paul wrote over half of the new testament. Solace is found in your scripture quote , Paul found peace through our Lord where ever , what ever the circumstances he was in at the time . He was in prison in Rome when he wrote this . Thank you .

Preacher Jim
08-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Hogtamer posted the verse that has been on the wall above my desk to guide me in ministry and keep me focused on the Lord's purpose for ministry.
May we all shine as stars in this fallen world to guide folks to Jesus Christ.