PDA

View Full Version : Pressure with Remington vs. Win. brass in .45-70

Wardo1974
08-28-2016, 05:05 PM
In another thread, I asked about the use of Trapdoor loads in my new-to-me 1890 Winchester 1886.

It was generally agreed that the load I picked - 40 grains of H4895 with a 405 would be fine with the rifle. It's the starting trapdoor load with this bullet and powder.

I picked this load specifically on the Hodgdon webpage because it had the lowest possible pressure for any given load. This charge sends the bullet at 1450 fps, which is absolutely fine for me.

Something I hadn't considered though was my brass. I've always used Remington brass, which has the least case capacity of the major types, which would mean the pressure would be higher as well. I'd only ever used it in modern rifles so I never cared, but a 126 year old rifle is a whole new ball of wax.

The load I picked is supposed to be 15,000 CUP, and I just noticed that's with a Winchester case, which is the lowest-pressure case you can use because it has higher capacity. Is this load going to be a lot higher than this in the Remington cases?

John Boy
08-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Is this load going to be a lot higher than this in the Remington cases?
Shoot both reloads over a chronograph and find out
Believe your concern is next to nil. If it is such a big deal, use this reload ...
405 grain LEAD TRAPDOOR ...IMR 4198 21.5 gr. 733fps
My 73' trapdoor reloads with a 535gr bullet and 70gr of BP are 1231 fps

TXGunNut
08-28-2016, 05:59 PM
I think your 1886 is a fair bit stronger than the TD so you have wisely chosen a pressure level with a good safety margin. If your 1886 is mechanically sound I think you're on pretty safe ground, if the rifle has mechanical issues I wouldn't fire it even with TD loads.