PDA

View Full Version : how to make 8mm brass

LUCKYDAWG13
08-28-2016, 08:49 AM
is it a big deal to make 8mm mauser brass resin i'm asking is i'm thinking about getting a M48
so if you could school me on whats involved in making it

what brass to use 270 / 30/06
what dies do i need
i know i wold need to trim a lot of brass off is there a better way to trim brass
thanks Jim

tdoor4570
08-28-2016, 09:04 AM
I use 270 260 3006 8mm dies and a 8mm trim die pull out decapping rod lube brass run through 8mm sizing die, that shoves the shoulder back run through the trim die and cut to length. replace decapping rod and run brass through sizing die that sizes out the neck clean up the neck and you are done

alamogunr
08-28-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm interested too. I got a M48 a couple of years ago but never got around to getting brass due to other projects. I've got some 270 brass that I was going to form into 7.65X53(4?) but could switch some over to 8mm.

GRUMPA
08-28-2016, 10:03 AM
If you guys start making your own brass.....here's a couple of pointers.

Brass thickness varies by manufacturer.

Don't be surprised if you need to ream the neck, or turn the necks.

Once you knock back the shoulder, the brass starts to get thicker. So best you folks just try 1 of a given head stamp, do all the work to it, make a dummy round just to see if it fits (they don't always do).

And "NEVER" try and reform brass with a deflector ding in it, it'll only get worse.

Make sure you anneal "AFTER" your done.

Hamish
08-28-2016, 10:07 AM
I personally prefer .270 brass. Take the expander out of the Lee FL die and resize in one pass. Can't do that with -06 brass in a Lee die. And I also don't have a .270,,,,,,,,,.

I bought one of those two inch chop saws from harbour freight and a brass jig from Von Zep when I got into 300 BO. Found out he was doing 7.92x57 IS jigs and jumped on it! Mount or clamp the jig in the saw and cut them just short of final trim and chamfer as fast as you can jam them in the jig. As my niece says, "ITS FABULOUS!!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAlTcpi3X4

MostlyLeverGuns
08-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Powder Valley has Prvi 8x57 brass, unless you just gots ta work at it. 47 bucks / 100

LUCKYDAWG13
08-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Powder Valley has Prvi 8x57 brass, unless you just gots ta work at it. 47 bucks / 100
thanks

EDG
08-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I like to use either .270 brass since I do not own a .270 or US military brass since the military brass has no caliber headstamp marking.

You can manage to make the brass with a set of FL reloading dies but a RCBS or equivalent trim die works the best.

I form the cases in a trim die and then cut the very long neck off over length with a tubing cutter. A lathe would be much better to cut the cases to length.
After rough trimming I FL size the brass in a FL die and then I trim it with a Forster trimmer. For my rifles I trim it to fit the chamber length. When fired the first time the brass shortens about .007.
After being fired once I trim it again. It sounds like a lot of work but I only perform one operation at a time and store the partially completed brass so elapsed time may be months per lot.
That is not really a big deal since a lot of 100 to 120 cases will often last 5 to 10 years. I usually make about 10 to 20 extras in case I have an odd case or 2 fail due to a split neck.

For sure you need to anneal the necks and shoulders to prevent neck splitting with old military ammo. The cases I have made from recently manufactured .270 brass have never split though I eventually annealed them too.

Some old military 8X57 chambers maybe large in diameter and will work the brass a lot. There is not much you can do with an oversize chamber except keep your loads mild.

tdoor4570
08-28-2016, 01:56 PM
I can make a lot of brass for 47 bucks a c we have 4 8x57 that we are feeding have never had a problem with my brass

Blanket
08-28-2016, 02:21 PM
8mm is one brass I will not make out of 30-06 family of brass. to much possibility that one day someone would fire in an 06 and go boom. Loaded rounds will chamber a lot of times

LUCKYDAWG13
08-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Ok thank you for your advice

Tackleberry41
08-29-2016, 08:16 AM
I have made some 8mm brass, but its easier and usually better to just buy the proper brass or buy ammo for the brass. Yea was a time when proper 8mm was hard to come by, but not anymore. As stated 270/30-06 cut back will chamber, be one thing if the bolt wouldn't close.

I have made it when I was getting free 270/30-06 brass. But only for the surplus I have. Serious use, Its proper 8mm brass. I have a bunch of the Turkish surplus, the necks crack, save the bullet and powder, load it up in converted brass.

The 8mm reamer is something that will have to be bought along with the tool to use it. I already had the holder for my trimmer, and the reamer was on close out for cheap. Reamer and tool will set you back more than some 8mm brass.

Its not hard to make, I cut them close to length with a dremmel, run them thru the sizer without an expander. Have found its to much work for one pass. And tends to pull the expander rod out of my lee die. I have a Full length and neck die, so do first pass with full size, then the neck die for the last step. Then trim. Depending on the brass and rifle if you need to ream or not. May even have to neck turn. My M48 is tight, so usually requires a light neck turning and reaming. So alot of work, time is still valuable even if the brass is free.

EMC45
08-29-2016, 12:51 PM
I make them out of 30-06 brass with RCBS dies. I run a Q Tip that is rolled around in my Imperial Sizing wax tin down the neck and lube the exterior of the case then run through the die. I then use a small tubing cutter and trim the extra long neck off to within 10-15 thou. of the OAL of the finished case. I use the RCBS case trimmer and trim to length and am done. I have never reamed necks. They shoot and load just fine.