PDA

View Full Version : Favorite lead cast bullet

dbarry1
08-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I roll my own, (lee 230 gr tumble lube) but with low supply of lead and lots of bullets on the market, thought I'd buy some. I like Hornady's cold swaged 230, but looking to see what you all use. Prefer a 230 grain, and something with a coating vs a wax ring (less smokey). (45 acp)

Lead Fred
08-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Those are .440 when papered .452. Oh I could stuff them on an ACP case, but they would not go far, being 350gr.
So I use the regular ole Lyman 230gr RNPB for the ACP. I can load a mag with these and jacketed 230s, and they all work the same.

<---- see the pic, 540gr paper patched boolit, thems my favorites.

mdi
08-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I haven't used a soft swaged bullet in mebbe 25+ years. Just too soft and easily distorted and barrel leading. Why don't you want traditional lube on your bullets? It is a proven method and been around for prolly 150 years (long enough to work out any "quirks"). There are some very good commercial casters out there and even though I cast most of my own bullets, I occasionally buy some. Google "cast bullet suppliers" and you'll get several hits (just make sure the caster supplies bullets in a few different diameters per caliber/bullet design).

One alternative is Powder Coated or Hy-Tek coated bullets. I've just recently purchased some bullets from Acme Bullet Company http://www.acmebullet.com/, (I didn't have a mold for a bullet I wanted to try)., and so far they are pretty impressive. I got some PCed bullets at a good price, with excellent packaging (neat little wooden boxes) and good shipping. I weighed several bullet and they were well within .3 gr. and every one I measured measured was within .0005" of the others.

I also purchased and fired about 1,100 Precision Bullets http://precisionbullets.com/store.htm in my 45 ACPs and my 9mms. Excellent bullets; clean handling, clean shooting, no smoke or leading, good accuracy.

OS OK
08-27-2016, 02:48 PM
If you are talking fun shooting at targets and such with economy in mind...I like the Lee 6 gang, 200 grain SWC's with a single tumbled coat of clear gloss PC. They are pretty fast to make and a moderate fast powder scoots them at 900 FPS without undo wear and tear on the platform, they leave the barrel shiney...and, they cut real nice, crisp clean holes in the paper.
My other favorite is the Lee 6 gang, 200 grain RNFP treated in the same fashion.
My lead stock for both runs 10.4-11.5 BHN...plenty hard for this low pressure round.

If I order, which I haven't for some time now...I go back to X-Treme plated over in Nevada, I think... http://www.xtremebullets.com/45-s/48048.htm
I think they have a special going at the moment on .45's, but they always have some kind of special going along with free shipping for first time buyers.

MT Gianni
08-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Ly 452460 works for me and many others who punch paper with it. Put it in the Blackhawk and you can use the 453423 for what it was intended for, small to medium game.

dbarry1
08-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Haven't tried any of those mentioned yet. Thanks for suggestions!

Mr Smiley
08-28-2016, 11:19 AM
if you're looking for cheep coated bullets, head on over to snscasting.com they have coated bullets that are super accurate, and have no leading.... I shoot so much of them, that its super hard to cast my own... Ive been lurking around for a long while, and have decided to most likely start casting my own slugs, as I don't have the time to cast and coat my own....