PDA

View Full Version : paper patch on jacketed bullets

docone31
05-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Just for hars, I read a while back, that jacketed bullets can be paper jacketed.
I understand, that paper being abrasive, can polish the bore pretty well.
What would be the actual value of paper patching a jacketed bullet?
In my mind, I can visualize phenominal pressures developing, a person would have to really size the bullet to be patched.
Perhaps as a shim to bump up a 7mm, or 6.5mm bullet.
The piece I read, had the person using a file to roll the bullet on, then patching. It was a serious article and it has stuck in the back of my mind for a while now.
Mean whiles, I have successfully paper patched 20 .303 bullets with gas checks. I am going to try another 20 .303 bullets without gas checks. I got a lot of torn patches with gas checks.

longbow
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Ross Seyfreid wrote an article about paper patching jacketed bullets many years ago. I had a copy but lent it out and it never came back.

His goal was to patch for odd caliber rifles where jacketed bullets were either not available any more or were really expensive (mostly old British big bore if memory serves) . The paper patch was to bring a commonly available bullet up to diameter for his use so sizing was not an issue - just use the correct thickness paper and number of wraps to reach the desired diameter.

It seems to me there was mention of patching a 7mm bullet up to .30 cal as well and I think the goal was higher ballistic coefficient for a given weight bullet. And maybe just to see if it would work.

Rolling the bullet under a file was to roughen the copper jacket so there would be some grip for the paper.

I have paper patched cast bullets for .308 Win, .44 mag Marlin and .303 British with good success though I am not an expert by any means. Personally I can't see the need for a gas check with paper patching and the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook says they are not necessary even for high velocities. Also, I haven't sized the patched boolits - just cast, patched, loaded and shot.

For smokeless loads the general rule of thumb is to use a bullet of bore diameter and patch to groove diameter. Rifling depth and style may require tuning of bullet diameter and patch thickness to get good performance.

Do some searches here and you will find lots of good paper patching info.

Longbow

docone31
05-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Gosh, I used to read Ross's articles over and over. That was where I read about paper patching jacketed bullets.
I loved his stuff so much, I had a Ruger #1 built in 470 Nitro Express and used it to target shoot. Not long, but enough to dislocate my shoulder. Still bothers me.
My vision was a fully engraved reciever, jeweled block, bright blueing, complete Farquarson stock, express sights, etc.
I now know why things are done the way they are today. Pain and accuracy can be a significant factor.

CptnBarney
06-02-2008, 07:31 AM
I think the Seyfried article (or one of them) covered paper-patching 30cal to fit a 0.318 (8mm) bore for which no commercial pills existed. I know one enterprising gent that patched 0.416" jacketed to 0.423" for a 404Jeffery.
Cheers...
CB

wills
06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Dean Grinnell wrote a similar article for Gun World if you can find it. Some time in the 60's if memory serves correctly.