PDA

View Full Version : Of David and Goliath .

Boaz
08-26-2016, 06:28 PM
What was David's every day job at home ?

Boaz
08-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Figured I'd go on and post the book of Samuel to make it easy .

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel+1&version=KJV

Incidentally , www.biblegateway is a good site with the different bible translations .

DerekP Houston
08-26-2016, 07:15 PM
lol i like that you are posting questions now =). Will take another read. Thanks for sharing.

Boaz
08-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Samuel 2;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel+2&version=KJV

smoked turkey
08-26-2016, 08:48 PM
1 Samuel 17:15. David was a shepherd as his family job. 1 Samuel 17:28 seems to also speak to this.

Boaz
08-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Correct ! Thank you !

Blackwater
08-26-2016, 10:41 PM
It was as a shepherd that he learned to use his sling to ward off lions from his flocks. That and the simple Will of God allowed him to kill Goliath with the sling. Imagine. A simple shepherd boy becomes one of the greatest kings the world has ever known! God indeed uses "simple people" to achieve his ends very often. Mostly, all He asks for is simple willingness and faith in us. But we all too often want to trust OUR assessments, forgetting that God can and sometimes does make all the difference in the world, and He has His reasons, and we all too often use ours instead. Simple faith - that of even a mustardseed - is still the most powerful thing on earth, if we'll just let it be.

Thanks, Boaz. I love this stuff. Not that great at it, but ... still enjoy it. Just got in from having my truck quit on the interstate! Had AAA tow it to my mechanic. Strange. Just quit. No lights, no beeps, no nothing. Just quit. I suspect it's either the coil or the fuel pump? Who knows? Been a really long day and I love having the chapel to come to in times like these. Tired or not, it's still a great place to be!

Boaz
08-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Why did David go to the place the army of Israel and the Philistines were going to do battle ?

Grits
08-27-2016, 06:42 AM
To take supplies ie. food to his brothers.

While he was there he heard this loud mouth Philistine make boast that pissed him off. Who does this uncircumcised fool think he is?

Nobody had the stones to go out to fight Goliath but a rudy faced boy.

I love the story of David. One day I will meet him and I will meet one of his relatives. My Lord and Savior.

Boaz
08-27-2016, 06:48 AM
To take supplies ie. food to his brothers.

While he was there he heard this loud mouth Philistine make boast that pissed him off. Who does this uncircumcised fool think he is?

Nobody had the stones to go out to fight Goliath but a rudy faced boy.

I love the story of David.

You are correct ! He was sent by his father to check on his brothers and take them supplies.

Boaz
08-27-2016, 06:50 AM
How many brothers did he have there ?

Grits
08-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Three

Boaz
08-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Three

Correct again ! Thank you .

buckwheatpaul
08-27-2016, 07:35 AM
He was a Shepard and was not even at the feast....they had to send for him....after he was crowned and he grew David did such great things .... yet he was a sinner in a big way....yet he had God's heart and shows that through confession and changing his way he regained God's love. It is a lesson for us that even though we sin we can be saved!

Boaz
08-27-2016, 08:06 AM
He was a Shepard and was not even at the feast....they had to send for him....after he was crowned and he grew David did such great things .... yet he was a sinner in a big way....yet he had God's heart and shows that through confession and changing his way he regained God's love. It is a lesson for us that even though we sin we can be saved!

All true Paul . Our Lord will always take us back . Parable of the prodigal son told by our Lord is a very good example . You really have to struggle to deny the grace of GOD .

Grits
08-27-2016, 11:46 AM
The greatest lesson we can learn from David is that when we sin if we will ask for forgiveness the Lord will forgive us. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences.

When David sinned by taking the census of the men of his army he was given the choice of 3 years famine, 3 months of running from your enemies, or 3 days of plauge. He took the last one. When the death angel was at the threshing room floor God saw Davids heart. Lord take me but spare the others. The Lord told the death angel to stand down early. David wanted to offer sacrifice but would not take the material to do so without paying for them.

Blackwater
08-27-2016, 01:09 PM
I've long thought that David and Solomon were so loved by God because of their passion and their absolute faith. Those never varied. His only real weakness that I can see was his passion as well, when it provoked in him the carnal desire for Bathsheba. He put HIS will before the Lord's, and that required God to extract a price from David, and that price wound up being the life of his firstborn son. This has left with us for all time a great lesson about passion, and how it can be either our greatest strength or our downfall, depending on how we allow it to be used within us.

I once had a friend back in college who seemed to fall in love with every gal he dated. He'd been married and divorced 5 times by the age of 28! And nothing could deter him from it. He was an absolute slave to his passions, even when he knew they were leading him to his downfall. He'd just grin and say, "But it's fun!" We eventually parted ways rather smartly over another issue - drugs - but I've never seen a more pitiful example of a man, or one less happy than he was. And yet, he continued. I have no idea what's become of him, or what he's doing today, or even if he's still alive. With his passions being entirely controlled by his will, with no room at all for God's toward the last of our relationship, I'm not sure I even want to know what happened with him.

So passion alone ins't any substitute for salvation, but salvation without it sure is a pitiful sight as well. Just think what this country would be like if all us Christians suddenly got more passionate about our faith, and actually learned how to spread it! Salvation without passion probably isn't what Christ had in mind for us, though he was always a model for rationality and good considerations. How I wish we could learn from His example! I personally keep trying, and picking myself up, dusting myself off, and trying again. It aint' easy!

Boaz
08-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Where did David go to find stones for his sling ?

Why did he go to there to look ?

Did he pick up the first stones he saw ?

How many stones did he take ?

Grits
08-27-2016, 05:06 PM
David went to the stream to pick his ammo. As a sheppard he knew where to get his resupply from. The action of the stream polished the stones smooth. He chose five stones. One each for Goliath and his four brothers. He left with five and returned with five even if one was buried in the skull of Goliath.

Boaz
08-27-2016, 07:20 PM
David went to the stream to pick his ammo. As a sheppard he knew where to get his resupply from. The action of the stream polished the stones smooth. He chose five stones. One each for Goliath and his four brothers. He left with five and returned with five even if one was buried in the skull of Goliath.

Grits your answer is good . The part abut the killing of Goliath's brothers has been debatable since forever . In the account of the confrontation of David and Goliath after David killed Goliath verse says all others ran away . After killing Goliath David proceeded to cut off his head and take the giants weapons as trophy's, no mention of killing the brothers although his killing of them *with his servants* IS recorded in Samuel . Personally I think the killing of the brothers happened later . Choosing the 5 stones was just random , it was a trick question , GOD did not specify it would only take one stone. There would be speculation that after 5 stones were thrown with no kill David himself would have died by Goliath's sword . BUT ! You reply is in reason and debatable . I choose not to debate , I'm good with mine and you good with yours . Many things we are made to ponder but need not cause argument . Thank you sir !

Boaz
08-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Do you agree that David had trust and confidence in his ability to use his sling to kill Goliath ? He had told that he had fought off bears and lions with it ?

Grits
08-27-2016, 08:12 PM
You must understand. Samuel had already anointed David to be the next king. The Holy Spirit was on David and with David. The Lord had been preparing David by him fighting bears and lions. How many thirteen year olds do you fighting something like that?

Blackwater
08-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Amen to all. And Boaz, you're right on it being good to be able to argue these less than clear points without dissension. How else can we really learn than through others' ideas and views? It's edifying and instructive to hear others, and I know I'm unusual these days, but I love hearing others' views, even if I weigh them and still disagree. At least I've thought about them legitimately, and who knows what the future holds? Is there anyone among us who hasn't changed his mind somewhere along the way? I always reserve the right to make a course correction if and when it's clearly needed! What else can any of us do? We're not born knowing all we need to. We have to learn, and that's always a progressive proposition. And thanks for these little Q&A's. The collateral explanations are often the crux of the matter, and a source of further expansion of our understanding. I like that. Need that. Who doesn't?

smoked turkey
08-27-2016, 09:11 PM
The idea of a sling and a rock does not imply that David was under armed, though by the world's standards he was. However in 1 Samuel 17:45 we see where the real power and strength to do this deed came from when he said...."I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel"...So this was to a large extent a spiritual battle. As an aside, the use of a sling during the times of the Old Testament period was a force to be reckoned with. See Judges 20:16 for more on this. A Bible commentary I have says the stone David would have probably chosen would have been smooth, round, baseball size, and thought to have weighed about 1 pound. When flung from a sling the speed approached 100 mph. So when it struck Goliath in the forehead it was going to do some serious damage. Thanks for the above discussion. Studying scripture like this is a great way to learn.

Boaz
08-28-2016, 06:57 AM
I was slightly deceptive , Smoked turkey and grits you are correct ! David placed no faith in his sling , he placed his faith in GOD . Thank you !

Boaz
08-28-2016, 07:22 AM
After his battle with Goliath who was sent to bring David to Saul ?

What was David carrying when he went to Saul ?

What was Saul's first question for David ?

Pine Baron
08-28-2016, 07:25 AM
On a lighter note. Who remembers this?

Boaz
08-28-2016, 07:49 AM
LOL , actually I do remember it .

Pine Baron
08-28-2016, 07:58 AM
1 Samuel 17
57 As soon as David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with David still holding the Philistine’s head.
58 “Whose son are you, young man?” Saul asked him.
David said, “I am the son of your servant Jesse of Bethlehem".

Boaz
08-28-2016, 08:00 AM
You are correct Pine Baron . Thank you !

Boaz
08-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Amen to all. And Boaz, you're right on it being good to be able to argue these less than clear points without dissension. How else can we really learn than through others' ideas and views? It's edifying and instructive to hear others, and I know I'm unusual these days, but I love hearing others' views, even if I weigh them and still disagree. At least I've thought about them legitimately, and who knows what the future holds? Is there anyone among us who hasn't changed his mind somewhere along the way? I always reserve the right to make a course correction if and when it's clearly needed! What else can any of us do? We're not born knowing all we need to. We have to learn, and that's always a progressive proposition. And thanks for these little Q&A's. The collateral explanations are often the crux of the matter, and a source of further expansion of our understanding. I like that. Need that. Who doesn't?

I agree except I did not say to argue . It would be a rare thing for me to 'argue' scripture , I do not ARGUE . You are right in that we need to share prospective , insight , experience and thoughts . It strengthens us all .
My intention is not to press my views on others but let them discover through their own experience with GOD and exploring his holy word.

Blackwater
08-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Good point. We often don't speak as precisely as we might, and all too often, this is what causes rifts and tiffs. Language is used so capriciously these days, that it's hard to resist following suit, even when we know better sometimes. Thanks for keeping the precision in it all, and FWIW, I agree very much. Can't learn much from those who see exactly as we do, so to learn something, we kind'a HAVE to seek out those who differ, and find out why. Therein lies an expansion of our perceptions, and the more and better we perceive, the more and better we can come to at least general agreement. Or at least that's how I think the Lord intended for us to be and work. Thanks.

Boaz
08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
If you consider your salvation based on your faith in GOD we are the same . That's where it starts and ends , faith .

Wayne Smith
08-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Interesting point to the first question. He was the shepard boy because he was the youngest and least significant of the brothers - in his father's eyes. He was almost overlooked and Samuel had to ask Jesse if he had any other sons before he was remembered.

Boaz
08-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Good point Wayne , hadn't thought of that . As to the insignificant , we worship a carpenter from Galilee . Our Lord always makes from nothing so not surprising ? THANK YOU !