PDA

View Full Version : Any of the original crew still around?

Char-Gar
08-24-2016, 05:49 PM
I am not seeing any of the names I remember from the Shooters.com days back in the late 90s. I know that BruceB, Felix and a few others have passed on and I miss those guys. I was just wondering if any of the original crew are still around.

Harry O
08-24-2016, 05:54 PM
I posted on Shooters way back when. Harry O

Maven
08-24-2016, 06:51 PM
I started writing on that site in August, '98.

sundog
08-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Checkin' in, Charles. If y'all remember, it was Felix and his son who originally started castpics, handed off to me, then I handed off to, jeez,... ???, well so much for a [once good] memory. But it kept improving all the time! The archive stuff will reveal some of the early players.

MT Gianni
08-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Still here from the shooters days and the first week start up of Cast Boolits.

kenjuudo
08-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Not much to say but still here.

Calamity Jake
08-24-2016, 08:03 PM
not much to say but still here.

ditto"""""""

jwhite
08-24-2016, 08:31 PM
ditto"""""""

same here, been around since the shooters.com era, don't post a lot but on here about every evening and usually learn something new everyday

pinshooter
08-24-2016, 09:42 PM
First posted on shooters.com on June, '01 (as 22pinshooter).

Been casting my own ever since.

I don't post a lot either, but I come here almost every evening to read the latest posts.

Porterhouse
08-24-2016, 10:25 PM
The people from shooters era were my mentors and without them, I wouldn't be here. I remember one time I asked a question if a killer whale can be killed with a sixgun, like 475 or 500 Linebaugh. A gentleman quickly replied he's grampa actually killed one with old 45-70 so he thought it can be done. I couldn't believe there was some one who took me seriousely and I really appreciated with all those hard earned, wealth of informations.

Mk42gunner
08-24-2016, 11:18 PM
I lurked a lot from shortly before the Betty Crocker days on Shooters.com. That is what really got me to casting semi-seriously.

Robert

KYCaster
08-24-2016, 11:33 PM
I'm still here!

Jerry

imashooter2
08-24-2016, 11:48 PM
I was on Shooters, but I wouldn't call myself one of "the original crew."

runfiverun
08-25-2016, 12:00 AM
I more read the drop down box style site but rarely posted there [as scout II]
it took me forever to find this place and gun loads.

but don't consider myself one of the old guy's [unless you call those that followed the first felix lube witches brew old guy's]

waksupi
08-25-2016, 12:12 AM
I think I found Shooters in '96. I've followed the crowd around, I believe I'm member #7 here. I still have lots of stuff I printed out from the old Shooters, and I'm pretty sure I have info that has never been covered on the current iteration of the board. I do miss people like the Mad Mexican and Horsefly. Highly educational, if you could stop laughing from their posts.

leftiye
08-25-2016, 06:54 AM
Thank god fer alla youse!

Tom Myers
08-25-2016, 07:23 AM
I really can't recall exactly when I joined the old Shooters.com but I recollect that I was corresponding with Felix concerning cast bullet design theory and he urged me to post some of my designs. From that time on, it's been a great ride all the way/

w5pv
08-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Vote Trump

Wayne Smith
08-25-2016, 07:36 AM
The guys on the BCPR board at Shooters.com taught me most of what I know about casting. Buckshot invited me to come over here and I've been here ever since.

Char-Gar
08-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Wow! Good to see so many are still answering roll call. It was sometimes in late 97 or early 98 that I stumbled across Shooters.com. The flood of information from those days took cast bullet shooting to a new level in this country. No longer was it a matter of chance, but a matter of science. The exchange of information and the ability to ask and answer questions was what made the difference. Much of that information is still with us now, but much seems to be gone. Many of the Old Wives Tales about cast bullet shooting that we debunked are back in force, or so it would seem.

alamogunr
08-25-2016, 11:41 AM
I joined the Shooters.com site a little over a year before it died(?) and when Cast Boolits was born, I signed up. Before both, I lurked a lot on the CB-L list. Posted a few times. I've been wondering if Chas. Hamilton is still ruling that list.

reddog81
08-25-2016, 11:49 AM
I've only been around for a short while, and I can't even imagine getting started in casting and reloading before the internet. Being able to watch videos, ask questions, read other peoples questions has provided me with volumes of knowledge that would have been nearly impossible to accumulate without forums like this.

Thanks to everyone old and new for all the information you provide.

Char-Gar
08-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I've only been around for a short while, and I can't even imagine getting started in casting and reloading before the internet. Being able to watch videos, ask questions, read other peoples questions has provided me with volumes of knowledge that would have been nearly impossible to accumulate without forums like this.

Thanks to everyone old and new for all the information you provide.

It wasn't bad. All, I had was the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook. It proved to be all that I needed. It did require some reading, study and then just doing it. That was back in 1959 or so. I did not meet another bullet caster for ten years.

But we learned allot different in those days and didn't expect to be taken by the hand and lead to knowledge of anything. Took some more time, but we got by just fine.

When Shooters.com came along, most of us had been casting for decades. Each us had learned allot by trial and error, when the internet came along, we could put all that experience together, filling in the holes and gaps. There were a few genuine science types who not only knew what to do, but why to do it that way.

reddog81
08-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Char-Gar, What you say probably is true. When you have to read, study, and think about a subject it's going to stick better than just glancing at an online post. Trying out a new method, failing, and analyzing what went wrong is going to teach a person a lot. Many young people expect everything to be at their finger tips without having to think at all about the process to get to the right answer. The internet helps you get an answer but sometimes that immediate gratification comes without really learning all the considerations that go into obtaining that knowledge.

slughammer
08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
I came here from when we moved over. I still post when I can add something of value. It's really neat to see all the sub-forums we have today; but I kind of miss the old single page, it was much easier to keep up with and it was filled with excellent post.

dale2242
08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Anyone have info on Ken Caldwell (45Nut) the originator of Cast Boolits?....dale

runfiverun
08-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Ken is fine and doing well [as well as possible anyway] he doesn't have the internet anymore so doesn't visit.
but is still connected with the site and keeps up on the happenings here via phone conversations.

KCSO
08-25-2016, 01:25 PM
KCSO started with Shooters back when...still here, barely.

Mytmousemalibu
08-25-2016, 03:29 PM
I'll 2nd what Reddog said, it is really a treat to have all you seasoned and knowledgeable fellas around! It almost seems like any possible question a guy could come up with, gun related or not, the fine folks of this forum have answers or some well aimed guidance. I'm on a number of different forums and this forum is my favorite! Some of the threads are like reading a really good book, the kind you can't set back down. I really value being here and you all being here too!

Freischütz
08-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Iposted occasionally on Shooters.Also posted on Gun and Knife.

FISH4BUGS
08-25-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm not what you would call a heavy poster but I have done my share. I hope I have added a bit to the knowldge over the years, and have shared some info on machine guns, supressors, SBR's and SBS's and the laws that regulate them.
This is really about the only place I go for cast bullet info. I keep up with machine guns at subguns.com.
This really is GREAT site!

jsizemore
08-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I got started casting from some old bullseye shooters that shot silhouette in their leisure time/declining years. Imagine using oil soaked sawdust for flux instead of marvelux! Under their guidance I got great results but as I started shooting HP they were little help. I studied/lurked the original crew of Shooters. for better then a year before joining. What a change this site made to my long range/HP handgun and rifle shooting with cast. Thanks to all you guys.

fivegunner
08-25-2016, 06:52 PM
I remember the old days, time just slips away.:castmine:

Beau Cassidy
08-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Number 70-something (I think) on this site checking in. I signed up probably in 2003. I don't post much but instead prefer to read for humor.

PS Paul
08-26-2016, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=jsizemore;3756521]I got started casting from some old bullseye shooters that shot silhouette in their leisure time/declining years. Imagine using oil soaked sawdust for flux instead of marvelux!

Wait. I still use sawdust for cleaning alloy in the pot and oil-soaked (mostly 2-cycle, but sometimes used motor oil) for cleaning alloy in the cauldron when melting lead into ingots. Did I miss something important? Ha ha!!!

jsizemore
08-26-2016, 08:07 AM
Guess you weren't around here when the revolution/evolution of using sawdust was a new fangled trend. It raised a bit of a stink. Still does. I actually learned it from the bullseye guys in the 80's.

LIMPINGJ
08-26-2016, 09:54 AM
I read mostly on Shooters, Felix helped me a lot. I still read mostly, always looking to learn something new.

Big Boomer
08-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Got started with Shooters.com sometime around the late '90s IIRC with the handle bigboomer. Came over to Cast Boolits when Shooters went down and someone else had my handle. Have learned most of what I know about casting from personal experience, reading the writings of the educators from Lyman's Handbook and here. Don't post much any more but I am here as often as I can get here. My handle is now: Big Boomer

dale2242
08-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks Lamar, I often think about the Cast Boolit shoot in Wyoming with your family, Ken and all the rest.
What a good trip....dale

RayinNH
08-26-2016, 08:11 PM
I signed up about a year before it folded, had maybe 20 posts. I was fairly new to computers and forums. I miss Carpetman/Ray and his antics.

runfiverun
08-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Last I heard from Ray he had just accidentally painted his house in the green bay Packers colors.:lol:
he didn't do it on purpose nor even realize it until I pointed it out to him when I seen the pictures.
haven't seen him anywhere for about 6-7 months now.

yeah Dale,,,, that was a pretty good trip.
Dawn was talking about shooting JT's rifle down in Provo not too long after that, and then she talking about Dan Walker putting her foot out [it wasn't on fire] when she had that sprained ankle.
I started laughed so hard, remembering her hopping all around, with him half crawling around behind her kicking dust up everywhere.
I had to pull the truck over.

Shepherd2
08-27-2016, 07:02 AM
I joined Shooters.com several years before the end. I'd been casting for close to 40 years then and thought I knew something. That was just the beginning of my education. I've never posted much but it's a rare day when I don't visit Castboolits to continue my education.

walltube
08-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Jumptrap, Scrounger and Etagdoolf.

The above three survived the Great Diaspora following the collapse of Shooters.com, migrated to C'Boolits only to leave for various reasons.

To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield: "..I tell Ya, what a crew, what a crew, yeah what a crew. Thanks for being here...".

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.. :mrgreen:
Wt...:drinks:

Greg
08-27-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm still here, just not much of a poster

Rick N Bama
08-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Anyone have a date of when the shooters board shut down? I signed up here only to never get my membership request Ok'd. When I inquired about it I learned that it had just closed. That would have been i March or April of '05 wouldn't it?

MT Gianni
08-27-2016, 10:02 PM
We moved somewhere else for 3 months Aimo? Then Ken opened his doors to us. IIRC Shooters went out at the last day of the year, 2004.

Iowa Fox
08-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Good to see all the old names. This is a GREAT site to hang around.

Nick Quick
08-27-2016, 11:14 PM
May I ask why shooters.com closed shop?

Sagebrush7
08-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Many great helpful post I copied and put in binders from Kragman71, Ultramag44,Kingfisher,wapitimaniac,Steve C, jbelow, Geo,454838ss,cyclone, Steve 48, okiejohn,predator,dvnv, Iowahunter, mud, Larry Gibson. To name a few. and justice. I have five binders that I still get out and read the old post. For laughs I copied the formula for making poodle lube.

Lloyd Smale
08-28-2016, 06:26 AM
I was there at the beginning. It was a different place then though. A bunch of knowlegable guys that shared there experiences without the political **** and the egos that are here now. We talked about casting not about politics. We compared knowledge with each other and I don't remember a bit of fighting back then. Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best forums on the internet but you have to wade though the bs and internet experts now. Back then there was mostly people like sundog, felix, waksupi and a few more that if you kept your ears open even someone with experience could learn from.

Ola
08-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Hey Lloyd, what do you expect when a forum has been running as long as this one has?

After couple of years one has already answered pretty much all the questions there is in casting, twice.

Only rarely there is something new and interesting. So what is left? Obviously politics and other BS.

MT Gianni
08-28-2016, 05:59 PM
May I ask why shooters.com closed shop?
The owner decided it was so big it was a hassle to manage. That is an interesting business acumen but there you go.

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2016, 07:17 AM
you have a point there. Some of us have seen about every question asked and get a bit impatient with someone asking things that have been delt with over and over but theres still things even an old timer like me can learn. For example I learned a lot of about powder coated bullets in the last year. Whats tiring to me isn't even the same questions being asked over and over. Its the guys who ask them today and then two months later think they know more then you do about casting and will argue what you post to help somebody else. Or those who post other peoples knowledge they gleamed off the internet so that they come across as an expert. This place has MANY of those types these days. But that's the case with about any fourm on the internet, not just here.
Hey Lloyd, what do you expect when a forum has been running as long as this one has?

After couple of years one has already answered pretty much all the questions there is in casting, twice.

Only rarely there is something new and interesting. So what is left? Obviously politics and other BS.

JRD
08-29-2016, 03:11 PM
I started following Shooters back in 2000. I've learned much more from the group here than I have from actually casting on my own. I remember back in high school (before the internet) casting bullets with my friend in my dad's barn. In hindsight, the bullets we cast back then weren't very good, but we had fun.
Since getting on the internet and finding Shooters and then following the refugees here to Cast Boolits, I learned from other's shared experiences and became a competent bullet caster much more quickly than if I'd had to learn all on my own.

AnthonyB
08-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Anyone remember Grumble? Shooting himself and burning down the house (different posts) are two of the favorites I remember.
I agree the place has changed, and don't think we can go back to what we were back then. Not a bad thing; just different.
Tony

Char-Gar
08-29-2016, 04:30 PM
I was there at the beginning. It was a different place then though. A bunch of knowlegable guys that shared there experiences without the political **** and the egos that are here now. We talked about casting not about politics. We compared knowledge with each other and I don't remember a bit of fighting back then. Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best forums on the internet but you have to wade though the bs and internet experts now. Back then there was mostly people like sundog, felix, waksupi and a few more that if you kept your ears open even someone with experience could learn from.

Loyd...Politics is relegated to the PIT and your presence in the PIT is up to you. However you choose to hang out there frequently. Nobody can protect you from yourself.

Char-Gar
08-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Anyone remember Grumble? Shooting himself and burning down the house (different posts) are two of the favorites I remember.
I agree the place has changed, and don't think we can go back to what we were back then. Not a bad thing; just different.
Tony

Grumble lived way back in the wilds of New Mexico. I sold him a couple of revolvers that belonged to a widow lady and she wanted me to get rid of them.

Lloyd Smale
08-30-2016, 07:05 AM
yup you have a point. Problem with me is I detest prejudice, bigotry, stupidity and liberals and SOME there just draw me to the fight. Heck ive even seen preachers post there with extreme prejudices. Bottom line though is id be a happy camper though if that section was eliminated tomorrow. I could probably cut my blood pressure meds in half.
Loyd...Politics is relegated to the PIT and your presence in the PIT is up to you. However you choose to hang out there frequently. Nobody can protect you from yourself.

mold maker
08-30-2016, 05:58 PM
I've been a member of or read gun related forums since I got my first PC. It was a Dell with whatever OS (W NT ??) That would have been about 1997, I think.
The same questions answered by different experiences sometimes say the same thing with different words that make it click.
Even though I have a lifetime of casting background I learned more here, than in the previous thirty years.
Can't say I was the first, but I hope I outlive all you young folks, and I'll bet I'll still be learning.

Maven
08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
And let's not forget Curmudgeon, now NV Curmudgeon: Always knowledgeable and a true gentleman!

onceabull
09-02-2016, 08:46 PM
I was on "shooters" as Idabull for a couple years B4 the forced migration..Aimoo wouldn't take Idabull (for me) settled for something more age appropriate,thus Onceabull. NvCurmudgeon & BruceB (now on heaven's range)were among the first two members I met in person. Mt.Gianni and I (with spouses ) met them together for an early NCBS event ( I think it was the second one in Winnemucca .thus 3rd overall)NvCurmudgeon informs us today that his computer is not functional, return unknown... [smilie=2: Onceabull

Beau Cassidy
09-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Lloyd is 1000% spot on about some of the experts.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2016, 06:07 AM
ill second that one too. I guess the one I miss the most is felix. He had a answer to about every question and had the facts to back it. He had a unique personality and was about the center stone for this whole forum.
And let's not forget Curmudgeon, now NV Curmudgeon: Always knowledgeable and a true gentleman!

Bent Ramrod
09-04-2016, 12:00 PM
At the time, the only Internet capable computer I had access to was at work, so I couldn't register, but I lurked faithfully on Shooter's during lunchtime.

The guy that intrigued me had the handle of Uncle Miltie. He didn't post much, but would would post specific comments or specific answers about black powder shooting, apparently based on his own experience with benchrest "slug" guns. The comments gave me the impression that he was a bona fide expert on the subject, and I was always hoping that he would initiate a thread or hold forth on it generally, but as far as I could determine, he never did. I wonder where he got to.

As far as BS and flame wars, there was plenty of both, and I delighted in reading it. I had to limit my reading on the Handguns section, because the testosterone levels there in general played hob with my Male Pattern Baldness, but it would spill over into the other sections, apparently dependent upon the season of the year and the phase of the moon. Normal posters would suddenly get "cranky" for some reason. There was a guy variously named Amanda or Hardin, and another guy named Big Mortie that brought out the darkest natures in otherwise sensible posters. And, often, when the "experts disagreed," it turned into a legal, virtual version of a cockfight. Shooter's was not moderated nearly as well as Cast Boolits, so these things could go on and on, until the participants were exhausted. Ah, the memories! :mrgreen:

OBIII
09-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Hey Rob,
I think that Lloyd is hinting that you should suspend his Pit privileges. :kidding:
OB

Lloyd Smale
09-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Monte was a real character. A recoil junky in the first degree. He was a bit controversial but was as smart as he was a hillbilly. He even built his own 500 and 475 linebaugh handguns and shot them with loads that put blood on his face and he even posted pictures of it. Never forget the pic he posted when his 500 broke his nose. :lol:
At the time, the only Internet capable computer I had access to was at work, so I couldn't register, but I lurked faithfully on Shooter's during lunchtime.

The guy that intrigued me had the handle of Uncle Miltie. He didn't post much, but would would post specific comments or specific answers about black powder shooting, apparently based on his own experience with benchrest "slug" guns. The comments gave me the impression that he was a bona fide expert on the subject, and I was always hoping that he would initiate a thread or hold forth on it generally, but as far as I could determine, he never did. I wonder where he got to.

As far as BS and flame wars, there was plenty of both, and I delighted in reading it. I had to limit my reading on the Handguns section, because the testosterone levels there in general played hob with my Male Pattern Baldness, but it would spill over into the other sections, apparently dependent upon the season of the year and the phase of the moon. Normal posters would suddenly get "cranky" for some reason. There was a guy variously named Amanda or Hardin, and another guy named Big Mortie that brought out the darkest natures in otherwise sensible posters. And, often, when the "experts disagreed," it turned into a legal, virtual version of a cockfight. Shooter's was not moderated nearly as well as Cast Boolits, so these things could go on and on, until the participants were exhausted. Ah, the memories! :mrgreen:

shooterg
01-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Like Bent Ramrod, I lurked from work, didn't have a PC at home(or internet access) until after retirement . That and the old Jouster site took care of my lunch hour for years ! Things have changed but this IS the BEST site on the whole dang interweb !

Blackwater
01-30-2017, 02:45 PM
I can't remember when I first got here, but seldom posted, except with a question. First thing I did was go back and read just about all the archives, and that kept me very busy for a good while. It was the best education I could ever have gotten, I believe. Not many newbies seem inclined to do something like that, but if they did, I believe they'd get a tremendous insight into the possibilities and variables in casting. It surely made me a lot better caster! And like you, Char-Gar, I miss those guys who are no longer with us. I learned a great respect for those guys, and most all the early posters. Now that the site has grown as it has, there are more newbies, and that's excellent! But with it comes the usual sensitivities that didn't mark the older endeavor. Time changes everything, and with every new asset comes a few problems. It's a lot bigger site now, and that's both good and bad at once. Sure was a lot more "gentlemanly" site back then, but ..... the bigger site helps us ensure that the golden knowledge here gets spread around a lot more broadly, and that's GOT to be good for us all, not to mention spurring new mold makers to come to the game. I'm a big fan of NOE, and need a few more specimens of their fine work. I think casting has come about as far as it's likely to in our current culture where so many expect everything to be done FOR them, rather than BY them. But those of us who still enjoy doing it "our way," as Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra sung about, will always love casting our own, and getting them just so, to our particular requirements.

There's more knowledge on this board than anywhere else that has ever existed in the whole world's history, I think? If not, it surely doesn't miss it by much! What a wonderful resource! Just wish more folks took the time to find the intimate and very real pleasures and benefits of casting. It might just make for a significant change in attitude, especially about the dangers of lead, which, though real, are MUCH exaggerated in most folks' minds. I think this board matters probably more than any of us realize? If it doesn't, it should.

FISH4BUGS
01-30-2017, 03:32 PM
I started in 2005 as I recall.

FredBuddy
01-30-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm not an original member, but I am an old timer. I started reading here long before I registered. I came here from MarlinOwners based on what I learned was necessary to make MicroGroove shoot better.

So during '12, I started putting together the stuff (on a shoestring budget) to smelt wheel weights and cast boolits.

I had a couple of molds that were given to me years ago, and I carried them around around thru several moves, so I put 'em to use.

I'm pushin' 70, but the wheels are still turning and I'm having a blast.

The worst of it ? DougGuy on this site recommended Linux Mint for an operating system for a new computer instead of Windows10. So I just did that, too!!!

Learned it all HERE.

Bless you all.

alamogunr
01-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Back in post #21, I said that I had joined Shooters.com before it went away. Now my memory, which is questionable at best, says that the site I joined was the Aimoo site. Were these one and the same?

paul h
01-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Monte was a real character. A recoil junky in the first degree. He was a bit controversial but was as smart as he was a hillbilly. He even built his own 500 and 475 linebaugh handguns and shot them with loads that put blood on his face and he even posted pictures of it. Never forget the pic he posted when his 500 broke his nose. :lol:

Maximum Monte, I haven't seen him in years and not sure if he's still in Alaska. I used to bump into him at the range now and again or see him riding his Harley in the summer. I did get a chance to shoot his 4 5/8" 500 Blackhawk. Fortunately I kept the front sight out of my forehead, and yes the recoil was wicked! Monte was an excellent shot with a handgun and definitely a colorful character. He'd show up the pistol range with a rifle case filled with big bore revolvers. I tend to like characters and find my life enriched for having known them.

My first shooting/hunting forum was the All Outdoors coffee shop, someone told me about Shooters and I got an account there, but for the life of me don't recall what my handle was. Then someone gave me a heads up about the cast boolit forum and I've been hanging around off and on over the years.

I'm sad to learn of Bruce B's passing. I learned a lot from his postings, and how he posted. Jumptrap had the sharpest wit of any poster and often left me in stitches, I miss his posts.

Rufus Krile
01-31-2017, 12:31 AM
I stayed almost strictly in the "Handguns" circular firing squad. Used 'Ramshooter' as my avatar and was actually banned for life... then forgiven and returned... and wrote a thread describing it that went on for quite awhile. Teamed up with 'Clark Kent'... an actual newspaper reporter out of Virginia... we continued to tweak the unwary until Shooters.com went away. SIGH... good times, good times...

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2017, 07:49 AM
he loaded those linebaughs up to linebaugh maximum levels! He was basically shooting proof loads every day. Some of his loads made me cringe, especially the ones he loaded with faster powders like herco and hs6! I remember one photo he posted where he had just broke his nose shooting his 500!
Maximum Monte, I haven't seen him in years and not sure if he's still in Alaska. I used to bump into him at the range now and again or see him riding his Harley in the summer. I did get a chance to shoot his 4 5/8" 500 Blackhawk. Fortunately I kept the front sight out of my forehead, and yes the recoil was wicked! Monte was an excellent shot with a handgun and definitely a colorful character. He'd show up the pistol range with a rifle case filled with big bore revolvers. I tend to like characters and find my life enriched for having known them.

My first shooting/hunting forum was the All Outdoors coffee shop, someone told me about Shooters and I got an account there, but for the life of me don't recall what my handle was. Then someone gave me a heads up about the cast boolit forum and I've been hanging around off and on over the years.

I'm sad to learn of Bruce B's passing. I learned a lot from his postings, and how he posted. Jumptrap had the sharpest wit of any poster and often left me in stitches, I miss his posts.

mold maker
01-31-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm still here!

Jerry

That makes 2 of us Jerry's that is, and still here.

paul h
01-31-2017, 03:59 PM
he loaded those linebaughs up to linebaugh maximum levels! He was basically shooting proof loads every day. Some of his loads made me cringe, especially the ones he loaded with faster powders like herco and hs6! I remember one photo he posted where he had just broke his nose shooting his 500!

When I shot his 500 I think his comment was you can't put enough H-110 under a cast bullet to hurt it. I don't recall exactly what the load was, but as I recall it was a 440 gr cast @ 1350 fps.

I have no need to load that hot and am content with my 480 pushing 400 gr cast at a sedate 1200 fps. It's amazing with the big bore revolvers how adding a bit more lead and upping the velocity 100 fps makes for a significant jump in recoil.

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone knows where Monte is at. It's probably been close to 10 years since I've seen him.

Recluse
02-01-2017, 12:31 AM
I miss Junior.

:coffee:

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2017, 09:29 AM
I really noticed it one day when shooting with my buddy that got me into the linebaughs. We both had 500s out that day. I had one of my 4 inch guns and he had a 4 5/8s. I was shooting a load that pushed a 440 to about 1150. He was shooting the same bullet at 1300. What first amazed me was the sound. His was twice as loud and a much sharper bark. Shooting them side by side was about like shooting a 38 special and then grapping a 44 mag shooting 300s! You paid a lot for that extra 150 fps. Ive notice like you that a small increase in bullet weight or velocity in the 475 or 500 is much more noticeable then it is in a 44 mag or 45 colt.
When I shot his 500 I think his comment was you can't put enough H-110 under a cast bullet to hurt it. I don't recall exactly what the load was, but as I recall it was a 440 gr cast @ 1350 fps.

I have no need to load that hot and am content with my 480 pushing 400 gr cast at a sedate 1200 fps. It's amazing with the big bore revolvers how adding a bit more lead and upping the velocity 100 fps makes for a significant jump in recoil.

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone knows where Monte is at. It's probably been close to 10 years since I've seen him.

RU shooter
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM
I really appreciate and do miss a lot of the older memebers that have past or no longer post for whatever reason as is been stated Felix and some others where very helpful with their vast knowledge but also in the way they tried to help you with your questions , they would say it in a round about way rather than a " just do this" they had a way of making you think for yourself about the issue and get your gears turning to better understand .

Tim

Blackwater
02-01-2017, 02:41 PM
I too miss Junior and Jumptrap. All things change, I guess, and life goes on. But memories of the good ones will always keep our hearts warm. Felix, Bruce ... others I can't recall at the moment ..... all have brought us to where we are now, and helped to expand the site to where it is now. I just wish the newbies weren't sometimes quite so focused on one thing, and seem to forget some others, but they'll learn. None of us started out being great casters, or great reloaders. We had to learn, and this place is so full of very knowledgeable folks who can, if they'll listen and think, help a newbie progress WELL beyond his initial expectations and aspirations. It really all boils down to their expectations, and willingness to learn. And like most endeavors, NOBODY ever learns "it all!" The more experienced casters seem pretty uniformly to be the most humble, and the most often seeking something different and better. It'll always be a constant learning experience.

paul h
02-01-2017, 02:45 PM
The more I cast for different guns and calibers the more I realize the less I know.

No_1
02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
I remember stumbling onto the original site using my birth name as my screen name. When it closed Ken reopened it under the Aimoo setup because they advertised ease of use which really meant no-frills, very basic software that did not get along well with Ken. Ken eventually found Willy and a partnership was formed wit Willy as the webmaster & Ken the owner. With time Ken's disability as well as his tolerance for those whose only goal in life appeared to be causing hate & discontent on the board lead him to hang up his holster turning the board over to me where I became the one with a target on his back. For the most part this place is the best on the net, not because of me but because of the members.

Iowa Fox
02-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Still hanging around. This site has a lot of knowledge assembled that goes way beyond casting.

woodbutcher
02-02-2017, 06:02 AM
:D I joined 2-27-2008.Don`t post much,but I sure enjoy reading the posts.I think the first boolits that I cast was under the stern gaze of my Grandfather when I was about 7(about 1952).We were casting for his 1873 (SSA .45 colt) and TD Springfield.These were ORIGINALS from that era.Brother,were they fun to shoot with his BP loads.Sure miss him a bunch.Thanks to all for a swell place to enjoy and relax.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

paul h
02-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I really noticed it one day when shooting with my buddy that got me into the linebaughs. We both had 500s out that day. I had one of my 4 inch guns and he had a 4 5/8s. I was shooting a load that pushed a 440 to about 1150. He was shooting the same bullet at 1300. What first amazed me was the sound. His was twice as loud and a much sharper bark. Shooting them side by side was about like shooting a 38 special and then grapping a 44 mag shooting 300s! You paid a lot for that extra 150 fps. Ive notice like you that a small increase in bullet weight or velocity in the 475 or 500 is much more noticeable then it is in a 44 mag or 45 colt.

To those that haven't experienced it, it's hard to believe the difference. The most noticeable to me was one day I was at the range with my 7 1/2" 480, my loads were a 390 gr LBT over 21 gr H-110 and they clocked either 1170 or 1190 fps over the chrono. A buddy had a 5 1/2" bisley 475 linebaugh, as I recall 400 gr cast over 25 gr H-110 which chronoed a whopping 1210 fps. Essentially identical loads, but to me the recoil of the 475 felt almost double.

Even in the 480 with my XLFN bullets that give the same powder capacity as a 475 I can get another 100 fps and change, but recoil is severly increased.

My thought is, if 400 gr @ 1200 fps won't do the trick, I'll bring a big rifle.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2017, 01:53 PM
and that is a good thought

Big Boomer
02-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Was with Shooters.com until it folded. Then I found Cast Boolits by accident and have been here since. My old moniker was bigboomer but someone already had that one cornered when I arrived so now its Big Boomer.