PDA

View Full Version : Bullet fit in cylinder, not getting search terms correct

chutestrate
08-24-2016, 01:37 PM
What is the fit I'm looking for in a revolver cylinder? I'm messing up my terms and am not getting the search results I want. I have a 44 mold that measures .430. I drop boolits in the cylinder of my sbh, and they can't be pushed through. I'll be slugging my bore next, but I'm trying to figure out the relationship of the cylinder fit to the barrel fit. Sorry if this a big rehash. If someone can point me to a thread that would be great.

Dusty Bannister
08-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Maybe you are seeking information on "cylinder throats"?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?285078-Doug-Guy-Does-a-Great-Cylinder-Throat-Job

dubber123
08-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Basically you want your cylinder throats, (and boolits) to be bigger than the barrel. When slugging, pay attention as you approach the part of the barrel that is threaded into the frame. This is a very common point for the barrel to be tighter (constricted), than the rest. If it is, it will give you a small, erroneous measurement when slugging. The constriction can be dealt with in several ways. Once you have a smooth, constriction free bore, size your cylinder throats, (and boolits) to at LEAST this size or larger.

It's actually pretty fun to find a problem, fix it, and see how much of an improvement you have made. Good luck :)

chutestrate
08-24-2016, 02:54 PM
That's it!!! Cylinder throats. Thank you!!! Brain is on vacation

fredj338
08-24-2016, 08:05 PM
RBH seem to run smallish in the cyl throats. Small throat means the bullet sizes down as it leave the cyl. Regardless of what size it started, it will be smaller before it hits rifling in the barrel. I opened up my RBH in 45colt, had 0.450" throats shooting .0452" bullets. I always got early leading & so-so accuracy. after opening to 0.452", leading went away & accuracy was about twice as good.

runfiverun
08-25-2016, 12:36 AM
think of a funnel that's been cut in half and moved .--4 apart with the straight part of the funnel your barrel.
that's what your looking for in a revolver.

DougGuy
08-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Generally boolit should be .001" to .002" over groove diameter of the barrel, and cylinder throats should be .0005" to .001" over boolit diameter. If you are choosing to shoot .452" boolits, they should be able to slide into the front of the cylinder throats with finger pressure, a light drag fit. As mentioned earlier, if they won't, then the cylinder is swaging them down to whatever the throat diameter is.

In a perfect world, as R5R says, a revolver's dimensions should read like a funnel, largest dimensions at the back of the cylinder getting progressively smaller as you follow the boolit's path through the throats, forcing cone, barrel, and out the muzzle. With no constrictions along the path. We don't have much love here for a wasp-waisted Ruger and there have been many thousands made that way..