PDA

View Full Version : Pen turning

cheese1566
08-24-2016, 09:47 AM
I bought a nice small Delta midi lathe and a big box of pen making goodies. Been eyeing that hobby for a few years now.

It came with a mandrel, insert tool, and 25 kits to make slimline pens and pencil sets, including a variety of wood. I think I bought the goodies and got the lathe for free! The previous owner already cut and glued in tubes to a lot of blanks, so I have enough to practice on. Just need a few more smaller items like a blank trimmer, glue, finish, sandpaper variety, 7mm Brad point bit.

where do you like to buy from?
It has to be internet sales for me as no one around deals in it. I have been looking at PennStateIndustries, Woodturning, Woodcraft, and Packard.

if you have stuff you no longer use, let me know......

JWT
08-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Woodcraft or Rockler have what you are looking for.

WILCO
08-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Looking forward to pics of your work.

country gent
08-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Woodcrafters has everything needed for pen turning from wood blanks to the equipment, along with many other turning projects and ideas. I have turned cane shafts, pens and pencil sets (I would make a 3 pen set Pencil pen and scribe all matching wood.) Vases, and other things. One thing to get is a good fine stone to hone the tools good and sharp. A sharp skew tool requires very little finish sanding. Sharp tools make a big diffrence. Have fun and be carefull spinning parts can grab and pull you in, They come out with a lot of force also. Its fun and really rewarding watching that peice of wood turn into something. A little trick when done sanding to finish. there are finishes that can be rubbed in spinning in the lathe. a wad of soft cotton with a little in it and rub whitle part is spinning and it just shines right up

C.F.Plinker
08-24-2016, 12:37 PM
As far as sandpaper is concerned I like the 1 inch wide rolls of sandpaper in 150, 240 and 320 grits. After that I burnish with the shavings that have accumulated on the lather bed. The final step is to apply the HUT pen wax and burnish it in with a soft cloth.

One thing that will come in handy later is a fixture for your drill press to hold the pen blanks vertical when you drill them for the tubes.

As far as the assembly is concerned a 6" quick clamp will be needed to squeeze the various parts into the tubes.

Enjoy a new hobby.

Handloader109
08-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Rocker and woodcraft are usually more expensive than psi (from whom they get most of their kits from) craftsuppliesusa are the best for most turning items, but can be more expensive. Get on their mailing list and most have good sales/promotion that can save a few $. Typically I tried to use automotive wet/dry sandpaper. Tended to be better quality. Trimmer is not entirely necessary, but nice. And I used epoxy rather than superglue to glue parts. Yes can take longer, but superglue can damage finish on a kit. Have fun, good hobby.

bayjoe
08-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I get my pen making supplies from Penn State or Hut Products
Hut Products seem to be a little more customer friendly
got some real nice click pen kits at Hut

Wayne Smith
08-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Beartoothwoods.com has the best quality kits I've seen. I get most of my materials from Pennstateind.com still, but the quality of their metal finish is disappointing. The gold and the gunmetal don't last a year's use. Yes, I use what I make, and don't like to sell what won't stand up.

cheese1566
08-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Beartoothwoods.com has the best quality kits I've seen. I get most of my materials from Pennstateind.com still, but the quality of their metal finish is disappointing. The gold and the gunmetal don't last a year's use. Yes, I use what I make, and don't like to sell what won't stand up.

Thanks! I like this website and prices! Most of my parts and kits are PSI and assuming that refers to PennStateIndustries. I need to get some more barrels and clips. All the clips I have are golf and baseball bats so i would like to get some regulars. Penn State wants $1 each and Beartoothwoods has then for $.50. Plus, they are closer to me in Colorado.

If anyone wants to do some trading for gold golf club clips for PSI slimline pens, let me know! I have 25 of them.

I may keep some of the baseball bat clips. Stepson plays Legion baseball. May make some gifts for the coaches, volunteers, and items for their fundraising this coming spring.

fortysomething
08-25-2016, 12:54 PM
I have bought kits from all listed above plus Berea Hard Woods. There are also other kits and small turnings you can do. I have frequently cut my own blanks and have even made some from reclaimed woods. Fun projects. Enjoy your turning.

KCSO
08-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Grizzly has a ton of stuff for you. I make my own small turning tools from old spade bits.

smoked turkey
08-26-2016, 01:12 AM
I have a nice little lathe by Jet that I have made quite a few pens on. I got it out the other day and set it up while thinking I need to do some more of this. Great hobby, and very rewarding with pretty quick gratification. Thanks for bringing it up. Some very good information here on supplies.

Wayne Smith
08-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Beartoothwoods is a distributor for Brea. They still have the best quality kits I've found.

cheese1566
08-26-2016, 08:51 AM
I kinda like Beartoothwood's different and unique gun pens. Especially the 45acp pistol pen. Neat to see their unique quantity pricing on the supplies and pens kits as well.

Another thought I had had was one of those small table top cube laser engraver off eBay for under a $100. I know it's small and low powered and only does a 1.5" x 1.5" area, but I am thinking it just may be enough to personalize pens for gifts or awards. Maybe their name or service award.

Dutchman
08-27-2016, 06:46 AM
I don't do pens..

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wbqrqtkqfrkdwbtxwfqbfsgtwfb,vi/kgwwtrsfbxwfqwttbkq/4/28344/7503119/DSCF8255b1-vi.jpg

cheese1566
08-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Love that stand!

cheese1566
08-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Is it easier to turn wood or the plastic barrels?

Wayne Smith
08-28-2016, 08:03 AM
For me, wood. Plastic is easier to finish. There are many different plastics out there and without finding one you like and sticking to it each one is a learning curve. From differences in hardness to brittleness the necessity for very sharp tools is universal. Wood is much more forgiving.