PDA

View Full Version : NOE SC 460-425-RF mold review wanted

corbinace
08-24-2016, 03:42 AM
I have a Marlin 1895 with micro-groove rifling. I have a NOE 460-405 that works well but does not feed perfectly.

This 425 mold is 0.011" smaller on the meplate, but the same length ahead of the crimp groove. Would it maybe feed better?

It can be hollow pointed. How much reduction in weight can one expect from the largest HP pin?

Any reason NOT to have a HP mold? Yea, besides cost[smilie=1:.

These will be PCed for now as I do not have a lubrisizer die for .460, and I do have a NOE push-thru sizer.

I just remembered another question; GC or PB? I am leaning towards the GC because I have a Free-chex in .45 and I think I can shoot checks slow but not PB fast. Just a tiny bit more work to check 'em up.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

corbinace
08-25-2016, 03:52 AM
Here is a link to the mold in question...

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42_145&products_id=2631

BUCKEYE BANDIT
08-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Can't help with the Marlin question but they are showing promise in 458 SOCOM 10" unsuppressed @ 50 M .I don't shoot this round but cast for a friend.With my alloy as cast weight with the large HP pin is 405 +/-.These are GC going slow and PC'd .
Casting from a Lee 4-20 after seasoning mold the only problem was keeping the pot feed :wink:.

Oklahoma Rebel
08-25-2016, 11:11 AM
I don't know why yours don't feed well, I have a new 1895 ( 2014) and I really like the boolit, it is my go to for hogs, but I don't have the mold including hp spuds, so I cant help you there. accuracy is good, and penetration, well it seems to go on forever

corbinace
08-25-2016, 11:30 AM
I don't know why yours don't feed well, I have a new 1895 ( 2014) and I really like the boolit,

I am not sure either. Mine is either a '71 or '79 model, cannot remember at the moment. It catches just after the brass starts to enter the chamber when the cartridge is still angled upward. Kind of like the ogive is too full and the cartridge will not transition to level with the bore. Or, maybe the bolt face is too rough for the head of the case to slide up and under the extractor. A little double rack of the lever remedies the situation, but that is not optimum.

Based on the bandit's review and yours, it seems like it might be one to try. Thanks gentlemen.

Tackleberry41
08-25-2016, 11:58 AM
I have the same mold, but feed is not an issue as Im running a single shot. But you get about 390gr with the HP. I powder coated them and got them up to 2200fps out of my H&R. Doubt it could be pushed that hard in a microgroove barrel.