PDA

View Full Version : You Shot It, You Cook It

condorjohn
08-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Got this photo in an email and thought it was a great example of life in the late 19th century west.175004

WILCO
08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Haha! Seen this one before. Thanks for sharing.

Half Dog
08-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Now that's my type of gal.

dverna
08-22-2016, 11:28 AM
I would rather have a hot woman that does not shoot, than an ugly one that does.

You can teach them to shoot, but ugly is permanent.

marlin39a
08-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Looks like an 1874 Sharps Buffalo rifle. Nice knife in other hand. I'd have them both. Her, well, no thank you.

runfiverun
08-22-2016, 12:10 PM
I done some research on this picture the first time I seen it.
this pic was taken north and somewhat west of Denver Co. right before the turn of the 1900's.
the picture was taken because her husband was a famous Photographer at the time.

NSB
08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
I done some research on this picture the first time I seen it.
this pic was taken north and somewhat west of Denver Co. right before the turn of the 1900's.
the picture was taken because her husband was a famous Photographer at the time.
A blind photographer?

472x1B/A
08-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Oh come on, you all know what they say, " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Back then, bet she was a real honey.

runfiverun
08-22-2016, 02:11 PM
she was pretty handy to have around.
I think their marriage was more one of convenience [at least that was the impression I got from my reading about them]
and she could do just fine in town or out in the Bush.

Nueces
08-22-2016, 02:17 PM
The high breech, stock drop and side lever make it a Remington Hepburn ("Heartburn", as James Grant called them), I think.

KCSO
08-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Anybody see a picture of say Sally Struthers or Donna Douglas lately...nothing is forever. This gal might have been really something 30 years before. Or she just might have been a really nice person, and in the long run that's what counts.

Riverpigusmc
08-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Anybody see a picture of say Sally Struthers or Donna Douglas lately...nothing is forever. This gal might have been really something 30 years before. Or she just might have been a really nice person, and in the long run that's what counts.

Sally Struthers looks like she intercepted all the food meant for Feed the Children

dave524
08-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Reminds me of the photos in Elmer Keith's " Hell, I was There " . I still remember my Aunt Olive telling the story of how her and Aunt Em got a deer on the way to school. This would be just after the turn of the century and they lived on an island in northern Ontario and paddled a canoe to the mainland for school. They come upon this doe swimming and they got it with the frog gig that was in the canoe, maybe they held its head under till it drowned. Anyway, it was different times back then.

osteodoc08
08-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Living in the bush can really age you. No telling how she looked 20-30 years prior to the photo.

Nice buck.

DerekP Houston
08-22-2016, 07:29 PM

That was my thinking...maybe they just got along well *shrug*. You can't fix stupid either....

bubba.50
08-22-2016, 08:31 PM
she mighta been a looker at the time she got married at 13 or 14 years old.

Tom Myers
08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Looks like an 1874 Sharps Buffalo rifle. Nice knife in other hand. I'd have them both. Her, well, no thank you.

Can you say "Remington Hepburn" ??

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/hepburn60.gif

10x
08-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Neighbor lady when I was 7 years old
She was a widow at the time and would shoot 6 or more bear a year in her yard.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-22-2016, 09:23 PM
When I was a kid I shot over a hundred pigeons out of a Barn brought them home dad made me clean them up we ate them damn things for well over a month I will never ever shoot a pigeon again

Hardcast416taylor
08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
When I was a kid I shot over a hundred pigeons out of a Barn brought them home dad made me clean them up we ate them damn things for well over a month I will never ever shoot a pigeon again

Was all the holes in the barn roof appreciated?Robert

10x
08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Was all the holes in the barn roof appreciated?Robert

Having removed pigeons from a barn with a 40 caliber smooth bore muzzle loader and #9 shot in the late 1960s - the method is to sit in the barn loft and shoot them as they enter an open door on the end. No need for shooting holes in the roof. The only issue was that cotton wads would smolder and catch the dry hay on fire. So we swept the floor clean and continued.
It was a good idea to open the upwind door and clear the smoke from the black powder after the shot.
And pigeons are fast to clean as well as tasty - grain fed pigeons at any rate.

daniel lawecki
08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
My Uncle Frank raced pigeons back when I was young. My grandma would go out to the coop grab one wring it's neck. I always thought I was eaten chicken soap. Years later I learned the real story.

farmerjim
08-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Donna Douglas died a couple of years ago. She lived about 15 miles south of here.

OnHoPr
08-23-2016, 03:21 PM
I have usually figured out a way to cook a critter that is at least palatable. However, on those planned late season duck hunts when the sky is blue and the only thing flying are those dang mergs whistlin about 60 or 70 mph, well those have been challenging. The only thing I have found for them to even touch a tongue as well as a few of the divers is to breast them, slice them in to jerky strips, them put them in the heavily seasoned brine for a number of hours before smoking the jerky. Not bad seating in a duck blind or late season deer blind.

MaryB
08-24-2016, 02:20 AM
I grew up eating wild game, got to the point where if mom made duck I gagged... 7 of us hunting so we had a LOT of it in the freezer. Grandpa had 3 ponds on the farm and they were always full of ducks. To this day I HATE duck! Pheasant I still like but we never had that many of them just hunting locally. If we made a trip to South Dakota we could bring back some nice limits but the license fees were steep when your family was poor so it was every 3-4 years. Usually managed to put 4-7 deer in the freezer too. Plus fish, turtle if we caught one that was edible size, and whatever small game us kids shot after school would be on the menu. We usually had beef in the freezer too but it was more of a treat than a regular meal.

Jtarm
08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
I would rather have a hot woman that does not shoot, than an ugly one that does.

You can teach them to shoot, but ugly is permanent.

There weren't a lot of women of any sort in the 19th century west.

Hot ones were scarce as hens teeth and a lot of them were pay-to-play. Not the kinda gal who would go hunting with you.

But yeah, I'll take a hot woman in the house, and I'll do the hunting.

NavyVet1959
08-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Her name is Augusta Wallihan.

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/pioneering-outdoorswoman

Goatwhiskers
08-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Grown pigeon can be a little tough, but squab, or one just about ready to leave the nest is fit to eat.

southpaw
08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Oh come on, you all know what they say, " Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder." Back then, bet she was a real honey.

Fixed it for ya.

Jerry Jr.

popper
08-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks for that link Navy, these stories always interest me, give some real history vs the dime novels. Like Stanley's trip into CSprings, the frenchman who had to go up & down Longs (couple times in a day)on a guided climb & take care of his pregnant wife. The french trappers at Wolf Creek who were escaping the indians, etc.
Anybody who thinks 'Twiggy' is going west in the 1800s and could haul a 200# buck to camp is nutso.

Blackwater
08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Well, as to pigeon, we used to have some that roosted in our big, hay barn, and I'd go in with my cheap little bow and cedar target arrows, and we'd have at it. I actually got some, and got better at it, often getting at least one before they flew out through a hole where they entered. Mom could cook anything, and mostly, she stewed them and let them cook a long time to get them tender. Done like she did it, they were really good! But then, she could make a fine meal out of corn shucks and gravel, I think!

And as to the looks, them wuz different days! A kindly smile when you came home was enough, and the hard life and lack of makeup and all the niceties, really made folks look older faster. And a big woman, I hear, helps keep you warmer at night. Up nawth, that always counts for something too! And when the lights are out, the lamp blown out, and you're bone tired, ANY woman is awfully nice. And too, once you've developed a real relationship and become interdependent, something grows that's far more important than the fleeting looks of a young girl. Trustworthiness and dependability become WAY more important, and anyway, when you love someone, they ALWAYS are beautiful in your eyes. Whenever you look at them, you see that good looking girl she used to be, now grown even moreso through your shared experiences and all the little secrets only the two of you know or care about. Those were generally some awfully good women!

NavyVet1959
08-25-2016, 03:36 PM
And as to the looks, them wuz different days! A kindly smile when you came home was enough, and the hard life and lack of makeup and all the niceties, really made folks look older faster. And a big woman, I hear, helps keep you warmer at night. Up nawth, that always counts for something too! And when the lights are out, the lamp blown out, and you're bone tired, ANY woman is awfully nice. And too, once you've developed a real relationship and become interdependent, something grows that's far more important than the fleeting looks of a young girl. Trustworthiness and dependability become WAY more important, and anyway, when you love someone, they ALWAYS are beautiful in your eyes. Whenever you look at them, you see that good looking girl she used to be, now grown even moreso through your shared experiences and all the little secrets only the two of you know or care about. Those were generally some awfully good women!

When we're in our 20s, we can't imagine going to bed with a woman that is in her 50s, much less 70s or 80s, but if we live long enough, we probably will end up doing that. :)

Besides, as Ben Franklin said (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_to_a_Friend_on_Choosing_a_Mistress), "in the dark, all cats are gray".

mold maker
08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Decades have a way of changing perspective. It's all relative anyway.

TXGunNut
08-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Good woman, indeed.

NavyVet1959
08-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Decades have a way of changing perspective. It's all relative anyway.

And then there are cataracts which help make the old ladies look not quite so old. :)

Lonegun1894
08-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Blackwater,
That is an excellent way to describe the way a relationship develops and grows over time, and makes perfect sense. Thank you very much!

NSB
08-31-2016, 10:36 AM
I think she founded Planned Parenthood.