PDA

View Full Version : Why I check my reloads

ghh3rd
08-22-2016, 09:19 AM
I dug into my stash of .45 range pickup, tumbled them and looked them over before starting to reload... a few had serious dings from being stepped on and they went into the recycle bin. After I loaded this one I noticed this glaring defect.:shock: Perhaps it was hidden just under the surface until I loaded it... or I missed it? In any case... I'm glad I give my loaded rounds a final review.

Bent Ramrod
08-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Very prudent, and congratulations on your catch. IME, .45 Auto brass is often lost after firing, occasionally mangled by ejection or getting stepped on, but never worn out, or retired by mouth or side cracks from repeated firing and reloading. You got the one-of-one-thousand by carefully sticking to procedure.

I tell people who are thinking of starting to reload that the most important part is realizing that all factory guarantees and certifications go downrange with that bullet when it is fired, and from then on, they are the Quality Control Department, and must establish a routine that constantly monitors the condition of the round as it is run through the reloading process. If this is made a habit, and committed to muscle memory, the chance of a bad one getting fired goes down to virtually zero. If not, something will distract them someday, and the chances for a bad outcome will start to climb.

DerekP Houston
08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
wow good catch! I wonder if it was weakened already and split during loading. Good reminder for the rest of us, thanks. I still give mine a once over at the range when I'm loading up.

Half Dog
08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm glad you caught that. I camt seem to catch my split brasd until after i seat a primer.

Half Dog
08-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Or typos until after I submit a post.

mdi
08-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Good catch. I started loading and had a bit of trepidation about several thousand pounds of pressure just 2 inches from my right hand so I carefully looked at each case. That habit has stood since 1969, maybe not out of fear, but habit and OCD!

Walter Laich
08-22-2016, 03:46 PM
...and speaking of OCD...

I put my cases in 50 round loading blocks and check the cases as I'm doing it

I notice brass that resizes way too easy and check each one of those

When I put them in the plastic ammo boxes they get checked and a high primer check is done just before the lid closes.

and by the way it's CDO (alphabetical order)

ghh3rd
08-22-2016, 04:39 PM

That there is funny stuff...

osteodoc08
08-22-2016, 04:59 PM
It probably would have shot and ejected fine. Good catch though.

smokeywolf
08-22-2016, 05:18 PM
After going thru the tumbler, I clean primer pockets and sometimes chamfer flashholes. No progressive. Completed cartridges get weighed after seating boolits. Cases get handled at least a half dozen times during the reloading process. That's not counting trimming or annealing.

Good catch on the split case.

robg
08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Usually catch the split cases after expanding necks before priming (always expand before priming for that reason) ,single stage press and hand priming, that was a nasty one.

John Boy
08-22-2016, 06:31 PM
After I clean and dry cases from the rotary - each case is spun between my thumb & index finger for any splits ... You Missed This Grand Canyon Split One and Reloaded It!

Cherokee
08-22-2016, 11:19 PM
I've had a few split like that upon loading, just expanding the case more by seating the bullet was enough to complete the split of the weak spot in the case.

45-70 Chevroner
08-23-2016, 11:16 AM
...and speaking of OCD...

I put my cases in 50 round loading blocks and check the cases as I'm doing it

I notice brass that resizes way too easy and check each one of those

When I put them in the plastic ammo boxes they get checked and a high primer check is done just before the lid closes.

Yes, even on my Dillon I notice when a case sizes to easily. It probably comes from reloading so many shells that when sizing it feels like I forgot to put a shell in that station.

jimb16
08-23-2016, 06:07 PM
I check mine when I expand the case mouth. You usually feel it if the case mouth is too weak. It expands too easily. With bottleneck cases. I always do a quick inspection before sizing. Powder stains will quickly give away any splits.