PDA

View Full Version : Reloading data for a custom mold

vagabond
08-21-2016, 07:39 PM
I am currently looking at the Group Buy on a MiHec 210 grain solid 45 cal mold. None of my books list load data for this weight. How would you go about determining a safe starting point?

Hamish
08-21-2016, 08:09 PM
(ahem)

Cartridge?

(it might be important,,,,,,,,)[smilie=1:

John Boy
08-21-2016, 08:11 PM
... It is important! [smilie=1:

runfiverun
08-22-2016, 03:33 AM
use 225/230 data.
in the world of cast shooting your becoming a wild cat expert with every cartridge and boolit combination out there except for the combinations exactly as listed in the lyman or rcbs books.
since none of us have 50 lbs of 5744 or a pile of lino-type laying around we are gonna be hanging on our own a little bit.
how I work around it is to use a similar shape and weight bullet and use it's load data to get started.
I need to determine if the base of what I have and what I'm looking at are in the same place or if mine is deeper in the case.
if my boolit weighs less and takes up the same or less room in the case I know I am close enough to use that start data.
I might even drop down a little from there.
after that it's just following good practices and work ahead from there a bit at a time.
for my semi-auto pistols.
I determine a working oal [gun ain't no good if it don't work]
this tells me how much case volume I have to work with then I determine where to start my load work ups from.
in a revolver you got a crimp groove so things are pretty static and a bit easier unless you have to crimp over the front drive band for fitment.
then you have to start subtracting for the extra amount of used up case volume.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2016, 11:02 AM
(ahem)

Cartridge?

(it might be important,,,,,,,,)[smilie=1:

So is firearm. Rifle different demands than revolver, and semi-auto often different than both.

vagabond
08-22-2016, 08:45 PM
45 ACP semi-auto pistol. Springfield XDM 45 with a 4.5" barrel to be most specific :)

Thanx for the replies.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was looking for information on how to do it and not a static answer of a single safe load. I believe Runfiverun pointed me in the correct direction.

tsubaki
08-23-2016, 06:14 AM
If you are more comfortable looking at published data closer to the weight you are using Lyman's 4th Edition has data listed for 200gr and 215gr cast with at least 10 different powders.