PDA

View Full Version : First Time Caster Needs Advice

deac777
08-21-2016, 02:29 AM
So I casted some bullets today, for the first time. I was using two different moulds, the first mould was a Lee 2-cavity C312-185-1R (aluminum mould). I casted about 100 bullets and about 50% of the bullets looked terrible with lines and wrinkled finish. I was using Lyman #2 alloy at 700 degF.

The second mould I tried was a Lyman 2-cavity #314299 and every bullet after the first 10 casted looked perfect. Same Lyman #2 alloy at 700 degF. So why such a difference, in quality of bullets between the two moulds? I would think the Lee mould should have heated up by the 20th bullet. Any advice on what I should be doing differently with the Lee mould.

My bullets were also difficult to release from the moulds. I tried smoking the moulds with a match and it helped but only lasted for about 10 pours, any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

sfcairborne
08-21-2016, 02:51 AM
Clean the mold with dawn dish soap, re smoke cavities, then get a hot plate and heat the mold up while your lead comes to temp. Then cast.

Coopaloop86
08-21-2016, 02:59 AM
Like was previously said, scrub your mold with soap and hot water. As far as being tough to release I have found that usually this issue will go away after a short break-in period but you can use a q-tip to work around the cavities and check for burrs. I have never smoked any of my molds and of the half a dozen Lee molds I have they all drop fairly easily.

WFO2
08-21-2016, 07:14 AM
I just started casting this year . I started with Lyman molds no problem .I to tried a Lee mold for 300 BLKout and could not get a good bullet . I thought it was due to it being aluminum however I tried one with a Lee mold modified by Eric Ohlin and it cast really nice hollow points .Not sure the answer same alloy as you Lyman #2 .Next time I get to cast going to try a NOE rifle mold I bought and see how it does .

WFO2
08-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Forgot to mention I scrubbed my mold and heat cycled it three times the day before to set the mold pins .

mrrch
08-21-2016, 07:25 AM
My exact Lee mold took a couple of casting sessions to get sorted out as well.
Like others said clean and smoke it and preheat.

Yodogsandman
08-21-2016, 07:36 AM
deac777, welcome to the site!

Clean the mold and check for burrs as has been suggested. Pre heat the mold on a hot plate, if you have one. Increase the pot temperature to 725*F and cast faster with the Lee mold. Aluminum molds need to run a little hotter to work well.

toallmy
08-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Preheat the mold , after good cleaning = happy casting , + aluminum molds seam to like to cast a little hotter .

Hickok
08-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Temperature of the mold and/or the melt need to be hotter. Also when the temperatures are right, boolits tend to fall from the molds easier.

Experiment a little, trying different/ higher temperatures with your melt, and you will find a happy combination. Those long skinny rifle boolits can be a little finicky due to their length.

DerekP Houston
08-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I've found each mold has its own little quirks. Some of them took a few casting sessions to break in, others were golden right out of the box. I just keep at it until I have enough for my purposes. Last one I broke in (hg #68 clone) I had to bump the temp up to 750f for awhile and pressure cast directly from the nozzle for a few batches. After that it went to working like normal.

dverna
08-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Do not admire your bullets. The time spent cools your mold and aluminum will lose heat faster than Lyman mold. Once you get the right cadence to make a good bullet try to maintain it.

bradley.moss72
08-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Do not admire your bullets. The time spent cools your mold and aluminum will lose heat faster than Lyman mold. Once you get the right cadence to make a good bullet try to maintain it.
+1

I believe it is all in your timing. Doesn't take the aluminum long to heat up, but it doesn't take it long to cool off either. Gotta do something to keep them hot, might as well keep casting. If you have to stop set it on top of the pot if nothing else.

Lyman are made from iron which holds heat for extended period of time.

Same principle as with cooking. The old timers used cast iron cookware for a reason, it stayed hotter longer while their fire was getting weaker. Whole different story with aluminum cookware of today.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

runfiverun
08-21-2016, 12:12 PM
heat was the difference.
aluminum gives off heat faster than mehanite does.
think of the alloy as heat since it's the only place to get it from and you need more of it in the aluminum mold.

Cherokee
08-21-2016, 02:35 PM
+++What Runfiverun said.

Walter Laich
08-21-2016, 02:56 PM
be sure to report back with your findings. Folks like to know what worked for you

deac777
08-23-2016, 01:29 AM
Thank You to everyone who posted suggestions, I really appreciate the help everyone provided. I was able to cast perfect looking bullets tonight.

This is what I did:

1. I cleaned the molds really good with Dawn dish detergent
2. I smoked the molds
3. Increased my alloy temperature from 700 degF to 750 degF
4. Heated up my mold on a hot plate.
5. Started casting and did not hesitate between pours.

So it appears that it was a temperature/heat problem. During my first failed casting session, I was spending too much time between pours, inspecting and looking at the ugly bullets, not realizing the aluminum molds were quickly cooling down.

This may sound strange, but right now I'm having more fun casting the bullets than shooting them.

Darryl

RKJ
08-23-2016, 09:03 AM
This may sound strange, but right now I'm having more fun casting the bullets than shooting them. Nope, It doesn't sound strange to me at all. I'm the same way. I enjoy smelting, casting and reloading them more than shooting them. But, it does seem odd, doesn't it? I do like seeing a good group after shooting some I've made though, that's always nice.

mrrch
08-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Yup
We all shoot more so we can cast more:)

DerekP Houston
08-24-2016, 10:12 PM
This may sound strange, but right now I'm having more fun casting the bullets than shooting them.

Darryl

lol I have more fun loading and casting than shooting. That takes a trip, casting I can do in the comfort of my own home. If I had my own range the story might be different.