PDA

View Full Version : What's the Easiest Handgun Cal. to Suppress?

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 06:24 PM
What's the easiest handgun caliber to suppress?

I have 3 handguns, an XD 4",an XD Subcompact, and an M&P Pro, 5" all .40S&W. but I dont mind adding a gun to the safe. I can add a caliber as well. The reason I asked, is because I was watching a couple suppressor videos and learned of a Neilson device that was needed for barrels with a Browning action, that is, those that tip up when not in battery.

Are there home made kits for these blowback devices, like the maglite cans people use? I don't mind buying a gun, but I would prefer to save the money for the stamp by building the can myself. I want a suppressed pistol as a go to self defense gun at home.

So, back to the original question. What's the simplest route to go with a suppressed handgun?

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 06:26 PM
I wanted to put a maglite on the 4" XD, but I guess this won't work???

centershot
08-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm...... I'm pretty sure an unregistered can is a big no-no, no matter which state you live in.

WebMonkey
08-20-2016, 06:59 PM
If you want the pistol to cycle, you'll most likely need the booster.
Unless you use a blowback action pistol of course.
Compact hipoint with regular hipoint barrel that has been threaded.
Surplus p64 would be a good one too.

Now, shorter barrels with very lightweight suppressors can cycle without a booster.
The cool pistols added a slide lock so every shot was single action/manual load.
Made things even more quiet.
Good luck. It is addicting.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 07:01 PM
You're talking about unregistered can's I'm talking about a Form 1 Silencer

I'm in Michigan, it's legal here. BTW, location is by the avatar.

17nut
08-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Hmmmm...... I'm pretty sure an unregistered can is a big no-no, no matter which state you live in.

Unless it's the state of denial!

17nut
08-20-2016, 07:22 PM
But the 45ACP is slow from get go and carries weight so i would start from that.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Why is it, that whenever someone says something about a suppressor, they are automatically a suspected felon?

JoeH
08-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Easiest to "effectively" suppress is .22 rimfire, they can be made very quiet with even a small suppressor.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Sure, but I need this for self defense.

Artful
08-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Why is it, that whenever someone says something about a suppressor, they are automatically a suspected felon?

Conditioning by the Media

As you your question -

First you need to find out if threaded barrels are available for any of your existing weapons and in which thread pitch.

I would avoid any blowback pistols for suppressors except for 22LR or 32acp - by the time you get to 380, 9x18 and larger the pressure is so high when the cartridge comes out of the chamber you get way more noise than you want. If you are trying to avoid the booster you can build a lightweight can and use on linear unlocking weapons like P-38,P-1,M9, Beretta 92/96 family.
Or if you can find a cheap roller locked HK or CZ52 with a threaded barrel - took me years to find a threaded barrel in 9mm for my CZ52 after Federal and quit importing them from Korea.

- Then buy a .45 caliber suppressor with the Inertial Decoupler/Neilson/Booster - to disable it you will just need to replace the spring inside with a tube of the same diameter/thickness to use on any fixed barrels.

You will find that shooting smaller calibers thru a larger bore suppressor that is efficiently designed will still be suppressed quite nicely. the 45 caliber AAC Ti-Rant that is one of the ones that I use works well even on 22LR and 9x19 subsonic ammo. Whichever can you choose make sure it can be disassembled for cleaning. On my AAC I find the threaded pistons that go inside the ASAP (yes every maker has their own name for the booster) to cost about $75 each and they make them in common threads for .40 cal (9/16 or 14.5mm). When I purchased mine it was a toss up between Silencerco and AAC 45 cans but you might want to go to places where knowledgeable people about silencers hang out and see what the lastest and greatest ones are.

If you want to Form1 a can with an inertial decoupler I would suggest checking out places that offer ALL the parts you will need to roll your own - http://sdtacticalarms.com/
http://sdtacticalarms.com/-D-size-Gemtech-Lid-Liberty-Suppressor-Recoil-Booster-Rear-Thread-Protector_p_17.html

Artful
08-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Ah, you need to get out of Peepels Republik of Nu Jork and visit free states. People in a lot of states have the ability to legally purchase suppressors and semi-auto rifles.
https://www.silencershop.com/where-are-they-legal
https://www.silencershop.com/media/wysiwyg/ss_pics/map_small.png

Currently, the following 42 states allow private ownership of suppressors:

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

Note: Even if you live in one of the states listed, you should still verify that owning a suppressor is legal in your area.

Kentucky Knob Creek Shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIenc0jsBxg

Leadmelter
08-20-2016, 08:27 PM
I hitch in MI is the police chief has to sign off on the application, so I have been told.
Leadmelter
MI

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Funny how they say "allow" when they all took an oath to the constitution, and the ATF calls them "firearms". Firearms being protected from further law, by the second amendment. This is where the oath comes in.

Anyhow. I was leaning to a .45 because they are subs to begin with. Always wanted a 1911, but we're back to the expensive cans. Any ideas?

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 08:30 PM
I hitch in MI is the police chief has to sign off on the application, so I have been told.
Leadmelter
MI
Changed with 41p. You dont ask them anymore, you tell them. Which is always better.

Artful
08-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Arizona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIfrSmZLQX8

Artful
08-20-2016, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95h1LIB7dA0

Artful
08-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Funny how they say "allow" when they all took an oath to the constitution, and the ATF calls them "firearms". Firearms being protected from further law, by the second amendment. This is where the oath comes in.

Anyhow. I was leaning to a .45 because they are subs to begin with. Always wanted a 1911, but we're back to the expensive cans. Any ideas?

Cheapest can is one you build yourself - the more you can do from raw materials the cheaper it gets. Buying pre-shaped and threaded parts your cheaper but not as cheap as if you can do it yourself.

Digital Dan
08-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Sure, but I need this for self defense.

I don't understand your point. I've been defending myself for years with .22 RF ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2953_zps5684c330.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/DSCN2953_zps5684c330.jpg.html)

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Shot placement and all, but still. headshots aside, .22 kills quite reliably,....later.

Moonie
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM
A booster can be added to most suppressors, even home made ones. They are sold for them. Personally I found the easiest one I've suppressed was a 7.5" threaded Encore barrel in 300BO as I already had a 30 caliber form 1 suppressor.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 10:55 PM
I was hoping for a booster that could be added to a homemade can

yondering
08-20-2016, 10:56 PM

If you're looking for easiest/quietest to suppress, the .45 ACP is not what you want. Some people (without any experience) say it's quieter because it's naturally subsonic, but the big bore is harder to suppress, just like a larger diameter hole through the muffler of a car or truck.

Artful had a lot of good input above, I'll try to add a couple thoughts:

As several above said, .22 LR is by far the easiest to suppress, nothing else even comes close. If you want truly quiet, and cheap, this is the way to go.

Looking at just the cartridges themselves, smaller cartridges are easier to suppress, so the 25 Auto, 32 ACP, etc can be very quiet. Blowback actions are a problem though, as Artful pointed out, so in most common handgun platforms that brings us to the 9mm for a locked breech action.

The 9mm really is quieter suppressed, both to the ear and by the db numbers. Most test data for any line of suppressors backs that up. The .40 and .45 are a step up in noise and required suppressor size; until recently most .45 ACP pistol cans weren't even hearing safe.

You will need a booster on almost any locked breech modern pistol, but if you're buying a pistol suppressor, it should already be set up to use that anyway. If you're building your own Form 1 can, the Liberty or Gemtech boosters can be purchased for around $150 and up.

My suppressed Glock 9mm pistols cycle subsonics without any trouble; most of the time I load 124gr subs instead of 147gr or heavier, because the lighter bullets are quieter.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 11:09 PM
92fs? Always wanted one of those anyhow.

Artful
08-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Shooting 9mm 115 supersonic ammo thru 45 cal suppressor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8yX5sgX8Rc

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 11:25 PM
lol no way dude, I JUST watched this like 10 minutes ago. :O

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Methinks I'm getting a Berretta. My buddy OneForAll is loading for it.

Artful
08-20-2016, 11:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KfGPM-cJc

And remember one thing about cost of NFA toys - Cry once when you buy it
not everytime you use it if you buy the cheap toy and then go I should have gotten...

yondering
08-21-2016, 02:21 AM
And remember one thing about cost of NFA toys - Cry once when you buy it
not everytime you use it if you buy the cheap toy and then go I should have gotten...

Yes, this exactly! Buy the $600 Silencerco can instead of the $300 Huntertown, and you'll never regret it. Buy the cheap can first, and you'll regret it and probably buy the better can later anyway.

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 02:47 AM
Yes, this exactly! Buy the $600 Silencerco can instead of the $300 Huntertown, and you'll never regret it. Buy the cheap can first, and you'll regret it and probably buy the better can later anyway.
Treble this. I have an Osprey, should have ordered the Octane. Nowadays I'd order the SilencerCo Hybrid with interchangeable endcaps. Smaller hole in the end cap means less noise. I shoot 9mm and .40 through mine, got the .45ACP can because it could do the most. With the Hybrid you could go from .223 to .45-70 (subsonic .45-70 only, I believe) in addition to pistol calibers by swapping endcaps. I ended up with multiple silencers, as the on-size-fits-all wasn't ready yet.

Back to the OP, .9mm through a 9mm can is easy to do with 147 or 158gr ammo. Sigs and HKs tend to meter lowest of the semiautos, based on SilencerCo, GemTech, and SilencerTalk testing, typically a few dB quieter.

If you're a DIY guy, stay away from the SD Tactical kits. Several posts on Reddit.com/r/NFA has been reporting non-concentric threading on the tubes, resulting in escaping gas and noise or baffle strikes.

Artful
08-21-2016, 08:13 AM
If you're a DIY guy, stay away from the SD Tactical kits. Several posts on Reddit.com/r/NFA has been reporting non-concentric threading on the tubes, resulting in escaping gas and noise or baffle strikes.

Got links? I have not seen one that was bad.

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Got links? I have not seen one that was bad.
Some are saying it was just the early run of Ti tubes, but there's been a smattering.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=193396

http://form1suppressor.boards.net/thread/187/end-cap-strike

There's always a chance that there's user error, but in one case (thread appears deleted) there was a visible misalignment between tube and endcaps. If you have the machinery and aren't using a drill press, there's no reason to use the kits. If you aren't, IMO it's worth it to make your first can a quality purchase from a shop with a warranty.

Tyca .22 kits have also been bad: https://m.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/4wssye/beware_tyca_oil_trap_kits/

BulletFactory
08-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Treble this. I have an Osprey, should have ordered the Octane. Nowadays I'd order the SilencerCo Hybrid with interchangeable endcaps. Smaller hole in the end cap means less noise. I shoot 9mm and .40 through mine, got the .45ACP can because it could do the most. With the Hybrid you could go from .223 to .45-70 (subsonic .45-70 only, I believe) in addition to pistol calibers by swapping endcaps. I ended up with multiple silencers, as the on-size-fits-all wasn't ready yet.

Back to the OP, .9mm through a 9mm can is easy to do with 147 or 158gr ammo. Sigs and HKs tend to meter lowest of the semiautos, based on SilencerCo, GemTech, and SilencerTalk testing, typically a few dB quieter.

Oh my, thank you for the heads up on SD Tactical. I had them bookmarked.

All I have is a drill press, but the mount for the table finally let go. It had a crack. I dont know if it came that way, it was used. Oh well, I wanted one for a lower, this one wandered too much for this kind of work.

Tackleberry41
08-21-2016, 11:20 AM
The easiest to suppress is 22lr. The bigger the bullet, the louder it will be, not by a huge amount. But its just the fact of the hole at the end of the can is bigger so more noise comes out. Of the 3 9mm, 40 and 45, 9mm will be the quietest. Yes 45 is by nature subsonic. Its really really hard to get a 230gr at standard pressure to go supersonic. I had a good laugh at a gun shop they had some 45 ACP on the shelf and it was labelled 'subsonic' duh, of course it is. Even a longer barrel wont speed up a 45 ACP, just not the pressure to move it along. 9mm, 40 now they will get moving with more barrel.

40 can be easily suppressed in a pistol, just go with heavy bullets. One thing to consider is powder volume, which contributes to the noise. Reloading its easy pick the powder with the lowest charge weight.

But as said, its not a matter of just sticking a can on the end. Needs that booster, something usually beyond the ability of a home built unit.

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Oh my, thank you for the heads up on SD Tactical. I had them bookmarked.

All I have is a drill press, but the mount for the table finally let go. It had a crack. I dont know if it came that way, it was used. Oh well, I wanted one for a lower, this one wandered too much for this kind of work.
If it wanders, it is no bueno for a suppressor. You need absolute bore concentricity, or an oversized hole. Anything else and you get baffle strikes.

Look at the Rugged Obsidian, the Hybrid, and the Mystic X. All three and dreams solid cans with solid warranty and excellent service and suppression. Also modular.

Artful
08-21-2016, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't let Mac's posting put you off as if you go and look SD has a good reputation (though not perfect) and does stand behind their product from my experience and when My Form 1 is approved it's the Solvent Trap that will be converted to suppressor.

BulletFactory
08-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Well, I had an old M1A barrel around, then ordered a rod that just fit inside the bore. When oiled, this thing will sort of slide out of the barrel slowly under its own weight. Doesnt wiggle much when dry. I forgot the diameter of the thing, but the alignment rods I saw were 85 bucks. The rod I bought was 4' long, and after screwing with it for about an hour, I got a piece that was long enough, and straight enough to use. Whatever happens, Im checking it first.

wimms
08-22-2016, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

BulletFactory
08-22-2016, 12:18 PM
I know, but Im talking about a stamped item here. I know you can get a stamp for the little threaded washer, but I want a real can. Partly because I've seen these oil filters shot before and I was impressed. Those are what got me looking into silencers, and this is topic the result of watching those videos. Thank you btw. :)

Artful
08-22-2016, 09:17 PM
And the bad side of the filter adapter choice is you have to have ready access to registered replacement filters
- just can't use off the shelf filters legally.

SD tactical build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwbsNfMtME

BulletFactory
08-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Since SD Tactical makes their thread protectors on a lathe, how can they be off center? I don't have a lathe yet, so I dont see how they could be anything but centered. ???

I was under the impression that only the adapter needed to be registered. Oil filter cans wouldnt last long enough. Probably take longer to get approved.

Artful
08-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Oil filters can last quite awhile depending upon caliber.

Cadiz Gun Works manufactures and sells the Econo-Can Suppressor.

The cost is $75.00 + $10.00 S&H for the registered Econo can silencer. The Econo can is available and can ship to a FFL/SOT dealer in your state on a form 3. We will need a signed copy of their license. FFL/SOT may be emailed to FFL@CadizGunWorks.com. If you need help locating a dealer, let us know and we will help you find a dealer in your state.

After we know which dealer is doing your transfer, at that point you would do an ATF form 4 and submit to the ATF/NFA Branch with $200.00 for your Tax Stamp to get it registered in your name or Trust. Telia here at Cadiz Gun Works or your local transfer dealer can help you with filling out that paperwork (Form 4).

The Econo Can Suppressor currently comes in different sizes.

The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA.

If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00.

The complete Econo-Can Suppressor can be shipped directly to us, for gunsmithing, which would be replacement/rehab/repair of the oil filter, with the serial # remarked, and documented as being replaced/rehabbed/repaired. The completed Econo Can Suppressor can be sent back to you at your address on your NFA Tax Stamp Form. You do not need to go though a dealer for gunsmithing services.

The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type. (ex. AR15=300-500 rds)"

http://i.imgur.com/Eh4Pe.jpg

Jupiter7
08-23-2016, 01:39 AM
Smaller bores supress better, fact. Smaller cartridges supress better(less gas volume for supressor to have to work with). 9mm subsonic is about as quiet as you can get in a current service caliber auto loader. SDTA makes a tube(B tube) that threads directly onto the Liberty or Gemtech LID(Nielsen device). Loading 147grn subs is easy, faster powders are quieter.

The only problem with the SDTA Titanium B tube is it is somewhat small compared to commercial cans, volume wise. And, it is quite heavy as the cylinder walls are about .08. The B tube, turned down to .06 walls shaves almost 2oz off the weight. And I know because I built one just in last month or so. It is quiet enough to shoot standard 115grn supers without ringing the ears, with subsonics, you can here bullet impact and brass hitting the ground. But it isn't near as quiet as 300blk on single shot rifle or 22lr cans I've built.
Link to my 9mm SDTA build, gen 4 Glock 19
https://youtu.be/AgEuZOQS1BU
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/a9667051e0f491a5766932c55dabb961.jpg

yondering
08-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Since SD Tactical makes their thread protectors on a lathe, how can they be off center?

Things made on lathes are not just magically concentric. There are tolerances in everything, especially part holding, that can allow parts to end up non-concentric.

The only issue I have with SD Tac stuff is the weight, after holding a couple. Their kits are significantly heavier than commercial suppressors.

BulletFactory
08-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks. I'd like a lathe someday and appreciate any learning I can get. If an endcap is made from a bar, threaded outside, threaded inside then parted off, where would the flaw come from? Im not questioning you, Im asking.

yondering
08-23-2016, 11:28 PM
If it's all done in one setup, things should be very concentric, except for drilled holes which can still go off-center if things aren't right. When parts are machined in multiple setups (and many have to be, you can't machine both ends of a part in the same setup), then things can be non-concentric if care isn't taken to dial it in correctly for each new setup.

Another source of error can come from using the existing OD of the bar stock as one of the part's finished surfaces; that surface may not be concentric with all the other machined features, depending how it's held.

I personally have not seen any concentricity issues with SD Tac parts, just explaining how it could happen to any manufacturer.

Shiloh
08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
May need to change springs for the pressure differences. Can you buy a can for a handgun legally?? For rifles, they are legal here, albeit expensive.

SHiloh

Jupiter7
08-24-2016, 04:26 PM
If it's all done in one setup, things should be very concentric, except for drilled holes which can still go off-center if things aren't right. When parts are machined in multiple setups (and many have to be, you can't machine both ends of a part in the same setup), then things can be non-concentric if care isn't taken to dial it in correctly for each new setup.

Another source of error can come from using the existing OD of the bar stock as one of the part's finished surfaces; that surface may not be concentric with all the other machined features, depending how it's held.

I personally have not seen any concentricity issues with SD Tac parts, just explaining how it could happen to any manufacturer.

I have seen at least 2 reports of cans not concentric made from SD parts. Both were from the threading of the adapter. But your right, they are making parts with as little work as possible, so they are taking stock tubing and threading it, no ID boring( lots of reports of different ID), maybe a clean up pass or just sanding the OD.

Tackleberry41
08-25-2016, 12:13 PM
There are alot of variables that can make things not straight on a lathe. Its a bit shocking how off factory made barrels can be to begin with. So maybe the can is cut straight, but the barrel isn't. I have a Mossberg MVP is 5.56 I bought brand new, the barrel is not straight in the gun, and way they put it in it aint coming out easy. To thread it straight took some effort. I have noticed plenty of factory barrels are not concentric with the bore. Rossi is the worst, they are often warped from the way they weld them. I bought a 223 barrel off a guy, he said it was junk, great for shooting around corners, the muzzle had a good inch of wobble to one side. The bore wasnt even sized right. I had used it for a barrel stub, had the barrel to cut up for various things. Used it to size a bore guide for a crown cutter, only wouldn't fit in another 223 barrel, it was oversized.

No idea on how someplace like SD tactical might do things. But after buying 2 of their spacer sleeves, I would question their methods. Both are way undersized for actual use. They drop in and rattle around, so pretty much wasted money. Know somebody who went and bought one of their titanium tubes and the assorted stuff to go inside. So an ultra durable titanium tube, but an aluminum blast baffle? And they were barely more than flat washers, maybe 20 degree of angle to them. The guts did not last long before they were rattling around inside.

Geezer in NH
08-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Leadmelter
MINo more law has changed by BATFE

Seek a good SOT/NFA /silencer dealer.

You are enquiring about a booster needed in some platforms and calibers.

The best will be a top end 22lr