PDA

View Full Version : Star cleaning question

jameslovesjammie
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I just purchased a used Star sizer on Ebay and went to set it up. It's really gummed up bad. It takes ALOT of force to even move the handle up and down.

I took out the plunger (which would barely turn) and cleaned it up on a wire wheel. Turns like a dream now!

I was thinking of taking the handle assembly apart and running a 12 gauge bronze brush chucked in a drill through the housing and polishing the shaft part, but I'm unsure of how to take it apart. Is there just a pin to be tapped out to remove it? The part numbers I am talking about are S116, S122, and S121 from the diagram at http://www.magmaengineering.com/pdf/StarSizerInstructions.pdf . I am aware that the bolt S118 and handle need to be removed first.

Also, the lube that is inside is BLACK. Like shoe polish black. Anybody have an idea what it could be? I don't have a heat gun to get it out, but that may be my next project for the sizer.

Thanks ahead of time,

James

Onlymenotu
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
James, you should be able to put a light below it and let the heat travel up the sizer body to heat & melt the lube out....... don't get it to close.... and you should be just fine

HeavyMetal
05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Alox 50/50 turns black with age and is most likely the lube in the Star. A heat gun or a hot hair dryer will get this out for you, just set the sizer upside down, and block it so it won't fall, and then heat'er up! The lube that's been left in it will come out in a very disgusting clump!

Before you strip that baby down take a good look at it! I think you'll find some spots that are designed to be oiled! I will suggest a spot of three in one oil on every joint and shaft before you start "adjusting" anything. Don't be afraid to lube it good! Any excess oil can be wiped off after you get things freed up!

454PB
05-30-2008, 12:39 AM
I got one in a trade a couple of years ago, and it was in the same shape, full of hardened lube and very stiff to operate. I used a blow hair dryer to warm it well, then removed the drain plug on the lower left side to push all the old lube out. I then used WD-40 on all the linkage to free it up, and wiped everything clean.

jameslovesjammie
05-30-2008, 06:40 AM
I'll definitely give the hair dryer treatment a shot today. I already tried to lubricate the joints with Mobil 1 0w-40 but it didn't help. Possibly not a penetrating enough type of oil??? I've got some silicone spray I'll give a try after hair drying.

Thanks for the help guys!

jameslovesjammie
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I tried the hair dryer treatment and it started to work, but was a little slow. So I took the handle off and stuck it in the oven on a cookie sheet and it worked like a charm! Ten minutes at 300 is the recipe for unsludging a Star!

I've got it cooling as I type. Next I'll try lubricating again.

Thanks again!

Jon K
05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
James,

Got a heater for it? Heater & Hair dryer work great for cleaning out old lube. You may want to get a heater, depending on ambient temp where you're at, and type of lube you plan to use.
Just food for thought.

Jon

Echo
05-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Or do as I do and use a drop light next to the reservoir...

EasyEd
USAF Ret
NRA Patron
O&U