PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to start a stampede

Mohawk Daddy
08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
But I have been shopping for reloading components lately. Some stuff seems to be a bit dried up from what it was even earlier in the year. Is there a seasonal factor? Just checked the nearest Cabela's on line for small rifle primers:
No CCI, no Federal, no S&B of any kind, Winchester at $33/1000. Not much selection of powder, especially rifle powders. "Limited" stocks of W748, CFE rifle, Benchmark, and 3031. Almost no Alliants, very spotty for Hodgdon and IMR powders.
The best sources in my area are the Cabela's (40 miles), multiple Academy stores (one is 5 miles), Bass Pro (20 miles and pricey), and two or three scattered independents (very limited stocks and usually ripoff prices). Is this a trend or just a local happenstance? I think I'm going shopping later today or tomorrow.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2016, 12:45 PM
not long ago, I was at a Cabela's to use a coupon card for 20% off.
I wanted to buy some primers, and they didn't have the one's I wanted, and I noticed many empty spots on the primer shelf, I assumed that maybe they had a recent sale? and haven't restocked yet?

NoAngel
08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
These are subtle beginnings to the next panic buy. If you think the last obama panic buying frenzy was crazy, wait till hillary gets elected.

Walkingwolf
08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Hillary's announced agenda signals panic buying. I myself have bought 4 revolvers in one month, knowing full well they will go up in value. If I could afford it I would buy more.

Blackwater
08-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Amen to last 2 posts. "Get it while you can" seems to apply, and it's NOT an irrational approach to it all.

NoAngel
08-19-2016, 01:11 PM
You say "get it while you can'
I say "Shame on you, you shoulda done got it!"

:kidding:

dverna
08-19-2016, 01:30 PM
It will get worse.

BTW, one thing that helps is not getting too anal about the "perfect" powder for every caliber/gun you have and being flexible. For example, I do not use Unique as a favorite powder in any of my loads, but it is so versatile that I have four jugs of it. If/when things get bad, it will do the job in many shotgun, pistol and cast rifle bullets. It may not be the best for each but it will work.

By taking that approach, it is easier to justify getting 8 lb jugs.

My powder supply has a lot of different types; but these powders will handle anything I shoot from .38 spl to .300 Win Mag

Promo
Unique
H4895
Varget
H4350

Check out Powder Valley and I have seen sales on many powders from other vendors. The Haz Mat fees are not too bad if you buy 6 jugs. If you cannot afford 6 jugs, find buddies who can split an order with you.

Scharfschuetze
08-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Yes, it's probably wise to prepare.

Before Clinton was elected, I put in the Clinton memorial stash. Before Obama was elected I put in the Obama memorial stash. It's probably time for the Clinton X 2 memorial stash.

Remember that the Clintons wanted to make any household with over 50 rounds of ammo register as an armory. I'll bet we see that again if the election goes south.

Some may call it hording, but it's really just wise preparation.

Pipefitter
08-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Remember that the Clintons wanted to make any household with over 50 rounds of ammo register as an armory. I'll bet we see that again if the election goes south.

An armory? While I don't have enough ammo to fight a war (my wife seems to think I do), I could supply a platoon for a small to middlin skirmish. And I am not done stocking up yet...................................

reddog81
08-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I've resorted to mainly online buying. Powder Valley has a better selection now than any time in the last couple of years. Midsouth has a decent selection and half off the hazmat if you spend over $150. At least as of yesterday...

The last couple of gun shows I was at had just about any powder you could ask for.

Yesterday I bought some Win231 and some other new powders along with some Winchester primers for $28. Prior to this year I had never seen Win 231 In stock since I started reloading in 2013. Now I've bought it 3 seperate times and seen it for sales many other times.

i don't know what the future holds but stocking up right now seems like a logical thing to do.

runfiverun
08-20-2016, 12:20 AM
Dang it you guy's.
I have stuffed just about 16 lbs of green-dot into a pile of federal hulls in the last few day's.
now I hear I gotta buy more powder.
jeezus I was gonna go buy some more wads, primers, and shot, cause I got another 6-K cases to go.
I don't want to spend my fun money on another 32 lbs of powder right now.

mcdaniel.mac
08-20-2016, 12:46 AM
I need to find a truck full of H110, and decide on a powder and load for .223 and .243 pretty soon. The panic is always what drives the shortages, but you can't convince people not to panic, just buy before they do.

Mohawk Daddy
08-20-2016, 08:03 AM
OK, I got the Winchester primers from the nearby Academy, so the heat's off there. No special deal, but possession is key. Still need a more extensive powder search. I have made a list of "wants" and a list of possible alternatives for a weekend search. H4198, 4895, and 4350 are on my wish list. Good hunting to all.

kungfustyle
08-20-2016, 08:42 AM
Check out powdervalleyinc.com they always have the best prices and they have most everything.

MrWolf
08-20-2016, 09:02 AM
I only keep a few ounces of powder and one primer: can you hear me now big brother! [smilie=s:

Shiloh
08-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Buy NOW if you haven't already.
The vendors at the gun shows have said business has been good. Supplies are hard to keep in stock. 200% increase. The speculation is in the next four months, you will find NOTHING!!

Shiloh

Digital Dan
08-20-2016, 12:55 PM
There was a time I worried about this stuff, maybe when $3 Bill was president. Since then I discovered casting and flint. So I tender apologies for not holding up my corner of the panic theory. Don't fiddle with autojammers much, first shot seldom needs a follow up. Will try harder in the next life.

Toymaker
08-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Ever increasingly over the past several years I have become disillusioned with Cabela's. Time was that if I needed something for muzzle loading or reloading they would have it. Today is less and less so. While others will have ample supplies of some popular reloading product, Cabela's will be out of stock or not carry it anymore. :sad: Seems they are going more toward clothing and such, which has a higher mark up. Today I get most of my stuff from MidwayUSA.

TXGunNut
08-20-2016, 03:39 PM
I guess I could find room for another pound or two. Other than Unique my little powder magazine has recovered nicely over the past several months.

dtknowles
08-20-2016, 03:48 PM
I need to find a truck full of H110, and decide on a powder and load for .223 and .243 pretty soon. The panic is always what drives the shortages, but you can't convince people not to panic, just buy before they do.

I'll wait until after the panic, you all can have the powder that is out there. I got enough for years and if the shortage last that long I expect I will have bigger problems then no powder.

Tim

Bookworm
08-20-2016, 04:09 PM
I went to Cabelas a few days ago, to spend a $100 gift card on primers. I wanted small pistol.

There was none to purchase.

Where there had been an entire end-cap of primers 3 months ago - roughly 12-15 feet of shelf - now there was about 3 feet of shelf with primers, and most of that was shotgun.
Where there was 4-foot shelves 5-high loaded with powder, now there is maybe a 3-foot shelf with perhaps 8 different powders, some only a single pound remaining.
I'm good on powder, so I spent that C-note on 22LR with a few .380 tossed in.

Then I came home and ordered primers from Powder Valley.....

dragon813gt
08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Gun owners are their own worse enemy. I hate these threads. They are popping up on every forum which puts everyone in a rush to buy everything they can afford. There is no shortage of anything by me. No one store has ever had everything I've needed at once. Powder Valley is where I go for that.

fivegunner
08-20-2016, 04:47 PM
I went to a gun store today , they have always had high prices, and a bunch of used guns , but today most of the used handguns were gone and about half of the used rifles to. I asked one of the salesmen about it and he said people are buying everything in the store! and not trading in there used guns. I did buy a nice rem 760 in 35 Rem today from them.:bigsmyl2:

Digital Dan
08-20-2016, 05:23 PM
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/vendor/00137/alliant-powder/dept/reloading

They got a lot of powder....and primers....online beats Cabellas 7 days/week.

runfiverun
08-21-2016, 12:02 AM
I went down to Logan this afternoon to the sportsmans there because they usually have red-dot [which they did but only in 1 lb containers]
I ended up with some green-dot, some more shot shell primers, and a bunch of wads they had on sale [not exactly what I wanted but stuff I have loads for]
the killer come at the other store when I found a new Winchester sx shotgun on sale for $299.
it's basically the old 1300 modernized slightly.
nice smooth action and a slightly gritty heavier [5-6 lbs] trigger pull than the old 1300 has [about 35-40,000 fewer cycles too]
put about 100rds through it today, and the poa/poi is slightly different than the old one too, but I like it so far.

anyway both places had good stocks of powder, brass, bullets, and primers. [22's too]

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 01:33 AM
I'll wait until after the panic, you all can have the powder that is out there. I got enough for years and if the shortage last that long I expect I will have bigger problems then no powder.

Tim
I haven't had a place to store it, and I'm down to just loaded ammo. Enough, mind you, to last a couple years, but still.

I dream of a reloading room stocked with components and a series of staged presses.