PDA

View Full Version : The amazingly good people at CastBoolits

DukeInFlorida
08-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Recently, I haven't had much to sell here on CastBoolits. I did, however, get a chance to take a look at the deadbeats list.
It's amazing to me that a site like this, with Threads : 222,932 Posts : 3,243,997 Members : 41,649 we would have so few on the deadbeats list.

Goes to prove an old belief that I have held for my entire life:

Gun people are good people.

The few deadbeats were here, obviously not as gun people, but as bad guys, hoping to score on the good faith of the real gun people.

So, I salute the real gun people, especially those here at Cast Boolits.

Bent Ramrod
08-18-2016, 02:01 PM
I see that too, Duke, both here and elsewhere. The vendors who say "Gimme your address and I'll pack it up and send it this afternoon. Get the check to me at your convenience." And the people at the Quigley shoot, who are the nicest people on Earth. With a rifle or two in the carts they are pushing along.

I don't know whether an armed society is a polite society or a polite society is an armed society, but it does seem that an open-hearted, spontaneously fair and helpful society is an armed society.

country gent
08-18-2016, 02:16 PM
I always found it interesting that I could go to a high power match with 100s or more of competitors, Leave my gear ( rifle, spotting scope and stand, stool, mat and all the little things in the stool) behind the next yard line grab my snack cooler and go to the pits ( out of sight and 300 yds or so away) knowing it would all be there when I came back. Few other sports are like this. Shooters are normally good and friendly people.

bedbugbilly
08-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Duke . . . I agree with you 100%. The folks on here are good people. This is a good site. We may not always agree with each other on things . . . and at times, we have a lot of fun "disagreeing" . . . but I can't think of a better "family". And that's true with the majority of "gun folks". I used to go to Friendship quite frequently for the matches . . . just haven't been able to get there in the past few years due to "life" and "health issues". What always amaze me there was how many new friends a person makes overtime you go down there. And if somebody was short of something, they soon had enough to shoot. I think that's pretty much true of any shoot regardless of if it's BP, centerfire, etc. That's just something that seems to go with the hobby and the folks in it.

fivefang
08-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Duke, were you a range officer at Markham park range? Fivefang

Blackwater
08-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Amen, Duke. I haven't sold much here, but when I have, I usually went ahead and got the packages in the mail before the checks arrived. Not one bad experience! I knew I could get burned, but just didn't worry about it since the amounts weren't really that much, and I got a lot of joy just simply trusting folks. And so far, every one of them have measured up. If I ever sell something of much value, I'd probably wait for the check, but on stuff like brass and small items, it just gives me too much pleasure to deal with folks with faith than it does to save a few bucks just on the chance that sooner or later I'll run into one of the exceptions. It's amazing how many people are still trustworthy, even today. You'd never know it if you judge by the media reports, but good folks just don't make the news.

shredder
08-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Yes good people. Familiar with responsibility. Honest, sincere, nice, folks always willing to help. That is why I feel so at home here.

dubber123
08-18-2016, 05:16 PM
I like the response from the members when a lowlife does appear. I really hate thieves, and apparently most of our members here do too :)

DerekP Houston
08-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Yes good people. Familiar with responsibility. Honest, sincere, nice, folks always willing to help. That is why I feel so at home here.

Same here. Folks I've met in person around Houston have been just my kinda people as well. Just goes with the hobby I assumed.

Thumbcocker
08-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Jeff Cooper IIRC said that the basis of marksmanship is discipline. People with self discipline are generally not jerks. Couple that with the core values held by most of the shooting community, regardless of political or other spats, and you get a whole lot of good folks in one spot.

robg
08-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Same here all the shooting guys and gals ive met are straight as a die and very kind and willing to help out other people .

lightload
08-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Duke, weren't you taking chemo and having to drive a distance to get there? How are you getting along these days?

toallmy
08-21-2016, 06:32 AM
:lovebooliI come here to hang out with a bunch of good people , while studying the art of casting .

Boaz
08-21-2016, 06:39 AM
I have bought and sold quite a bit here over time and never had a problem . Honorable group of people here .

leebuilder
08-21-2016, 07:43 AM
It is crazy how good gun peaple are. My club has some of the finest peaple i have ever met. Maybe because most of us served, and had strong father figures in our lives. Not hard to tell, especially when young nubies come out, yes they are a different lot. As for here at cast boolits, i have reached out a few times and hope i am helping in some small way, and mostly keeping casting and reloading alive and well, as well as milsurp and the history behind them.
to all my comrades here a good hearty hand shake!!!
and mostly, be well and safe

DukeInFlorida
08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Duke, were you a range officer at Markham park range? Fivefang

No, not sure I even know where that is. Here's me, with my children (L/R - daughter in law, my son, me, my daughter), click for a larger version of the image:

Duke, weren't you taking chemo and having to drive a distance to get there? How are you getting along these days?

Yes, and I am STILL doing chemo at Mayo Clinic. I am technically in remission. However, the wonder drug I was being tested with worked so well that that drug company has agreed to continue to provide it, on a maintenance basis, for the foreseeable future. So, I still drive the 1.5 hours north to the Mayo Clinic, and get hooked up to the IV drip for 6+ hours, once a month. My next trip is August 29th (Monday). I feel fine, and my oncologist is determined that I will die from something OTHER THAN multiple myeloma. Thanks for asking.

lightload
08-23-2016, 12:50 AM
What a fine looking family that you have! I certainly am glad to hear that the good Lord is blessing you with recovery.

garym1a2
08-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Markam Park is west of Fort Lauderdale, north of Westion. Next to everglades.
Mayro is a great cancer treatment center, I have been going their since last December,

No, not sure I even know where that is. Here's me, with my children (L/R - daughter in law, my son, me, my daughter), click for a larger version of the image:

Yes, and I am STILL doing chemo at Mayo Clinic. I am technically in remission. However, the wonder drug I was being tested with worked so well that that drug company has agreed to continue to provide it, on a maintenance basis, for the foreseeable future. So, I still drive the 1.5 hours north to the Mayo Clinic, and get hooked up to the IV drip for 6+ hours, once a month. My next trip is August 29th (Monday). I feel fine, and my oncologist is determined that I will die from something OTHER THAN multiple myeloma. Thanks for asking.

DukeInFlorida
08-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Nope, never been over that way.

I'll be at Mayo, for my once a month chemo session on next Monday, Aug 29th. PM me if you are going to be up that way on Monday. Be glad to buy you a coffee/lunch/whatever at the cafe.

Markam Park is west of Fort Lauderdale, north of Westion. Next to everglades.
Mayro is a great cancer treatment center, I have been going their since last December,