PDA

View Full Version : #11 mag percussion caps

owejia
08-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Haven't shot black powder revolvers in a very long time, about 40 years, any benefits to using the #11 mag primers? Will be using FFF bp in them. I don't even remember mag percussion being available back then.

Omnivore
08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Find a cap that fits the nipple, meaning it slips on easily and stays there-- no pinching the cap or using a dowel to shove it on, etc. That's the one you want. "Magnum" would be for using harder-to-ignite substitute powders in side locks or other systems where there's a longer, less direct flash channel. Any cap that goes "pop" will work reliably for your revolver with black powder, so it comes down to fit.

rodwha
08-18-2016, 01:04 PM
I use Rem #10 caps to ignite Triple 7 with no issues ever. They claim to be 40% stronger then they used to be.

Bent Ramrod
08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
For revolvers, anything but Fiocchi should work fine. Avoid Fiocchi.

That said, I do keep trying to work down my stocks of standard caps in order to switch to all CCI Magnums for convenience, but then I'll find another bargain bunch of Remingtons at a show or yard sale somewhere, and the process starts again.

I've never seen any accuracy differences in percussion caps, as long as they fire the charge. But the Magnums do fire around corners better.

dondiego
08-19-2016, 08:11 AM
For revolvers, anything but Fiocchi should work fine. Avoid Fiocchi.

That said, I do keep trying to work down my stocks of standard caps in order to switch to all CCI Magnums for convenience, but then I'll find another bargain bunch of Remingtons at a show or yard sale somewhere, and the process starts again.

I've never seen any accuracy differences in percussion caps, as long as they fire the charge. But the Magnums do fire around corners better.

Can you tell us why to avoid the Fiocchi's?

mooman76
08-19-2016, 08:25 AM
I can't think of a real advantage in using #11 mag caps but some people during the cap shortage switched their nipples so they could use 11 caps when 10's were near impossible to find. Some also reversed that and switched rifles to #10s if they were in an area that didn't have 11s. I've heard claims the only difference mag caps excluded is the size. The 1075 caps are lightly smaller than 11s and seem to have a little more power than other reg 11s. If you are using a BP sub and having ignition trouble, they may cure your problem.

Bent Ramrod
08-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Fiocchi caps, IME, barely go off themselves, let alone providing ignition for a powder charge. They tend to clog percussion nipples with a hard to remove, non-flammable solid.

The ones I'm talking about came in plastic containers, blue or red, sometimes imported by CVA. They appear to be made of brass.

I've tried several different lots of them and they seem to perform equally poorly.

dondiego
08-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I will be avoiding those Fiocchi's.

Squeeze
08-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Fiocchi's are the same way with 209 primers. They are always the bottom of the list with power.

dondiego
08-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Fiocchi's are the same way with 209 primers. They are always the bottom of the list with power.

That could be a bonus for some applications. I have read that some 209's are too powerful for some loads.