PDA

View Full Version : Another ingot ID request

cohutt
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Pretty good haul today of 200lbs + of mostly soft stuff - sheeting, seals, ingots.

Some interesting commercial ingots were inlcuded as well. Lighter than pure, 3 different ones with different proofs.
Bottom 2 very "tingy", top one not quite as.
WW doesn't dent, (didn't try lino)
5lbs each roughly
top to bottom proofs:
"8"
"2"
"6-2 S-276"

Any clues?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc132.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc133.jpg

cohutt
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
IMACO = Industrial Metals Alloy Company i just figured out

ANeat
05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Cohutt Ive found a few references to Taracorp along with IMACO. Nothing specific but lots of references to lead free solder. IE tin.

You may just have to try and see what the hardness and melting temp is. That would be a good start. That plus possibly casting a few bullets and comparing the weights to other know alloys will give you a better chance and making an educated guess.

Or just throw it in a pot of WW and not worry about it???? A shame if its tin though.

The WLPCO stuff looks to be more pure or some lead based mix.

cohutt
05-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks adam, i had about given up.

in the meantime i kept looking-

"notched bars" would be a more accurate description.

most of the notched bar suff i found was in solder or white metal used in bearing (ie babbit) applications. some on other casting material supply siites like for jewelry too.

the bottome one is high tin for sure. I'm thinking of making a wind chime out of it it has such a pleasant ting to it.

the other two still harder than ww ingots based on the "what dents what" clanging method. I'll check vs linotype too.

no thuds in the bunch, which is nice since pure and soft lead i have coming out the *** but useful alloy material is what I am light on relatively speaking.

cohutt
06-01-2008, 10:47 PM
All the bars dent everything i have-
pure
ww
lino
pure tin
wiljen's "type" metal @ 47% antimony

and it isin't even close-

I'm beginning to doubt this is even an alloy that is usable