PDA

View Full Version : Gratificaion

dale2242
08-14-2016, 06:56 PM
I just finished teaching a 2 day Hunters Ed class for the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife .
All hunters under 18 are required to have a Hunters Ed card to hunt in Oregon.
They are also required to wear Hunter Orange that can be seen from 360 degrees.
I had a great class of 14 kids and 1 adult.
This is very gratifying for an old retired logger.
It makes me feel like I am still contributing to society in some way after retiring.
The number of hunters is slowly dwindling here in Oregon.
It`s my way of trying to carry on the hunting tradition that has been some of the greatest pleasures in my life.
Consider becoming A Hunters Ed instructor in your state.....dale

starmac
08-14-2016, 07:09 PM
WOW, I didn't know loggers retired. lol

quilbilly
08-14-2016, 07:46 PM
My hunting partner is teaching that class next week. I have been asked by the debate coach at a local high school to talk to the young debaters about aspects of public lands. That should be interesting.

funnyjim014
08-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Here in NY all hunter need the corse and bow Hunting requires another 8hrs. I thinks it's a good idea to start em out with good practices. And our hunting numbers are dropping fast as well. Main reason is no place to go. Public lands are scary bad (armor and helmet not a bad idea) other places are all getting posted up tight. Only way to truly hunt is to drop 40000 bucks on a hunt able chunk of land

dale2242
08-15-2016, 08:05 AM
I have been semi-retired since I turned 68.
I fully retired this year after 50 years operating heavy equipment.
I`m 74 now....dale

Blackwater
08-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Great post, Dale, and eminently great suggestion! If I were more mobile, I'd love doing this, and if I get back to where I can, I want to do that and get certified as a handgun instructor locally. Time will tell whether I'll be able to git-r-done, I guess, but good post, and there are some awfully good guys here who could do it, or learn to do it, and really enjoy interacting with the young, and giving them a lift in a very important skill and pursuit. Wish I could comply, but "maybe tomorrow???"