PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-14-2016, 07:30 AM
"The LORD... give you peace." Numbers 6:26

Scripture Focus: Romans 5:1

“If only...”. With those two little words, we send our hearts on a never-ending quest for contentment and peace. We tell ourselves that if only we had that house, that relationship, that job or that vacation, then we would be happy, content, at peace. But the little peace we might experience from those things quickly fades away.

The Hebrew word for peace is shalom, and it means much more than the absence of conflict. It means that we are at peace with God and experiencing the sum total of all God's good gifts to His people. While on their journey in the wilderness, the Israelites often said "if only;" if only we had leeks and meat and different leaders. Yet God promised the blessing of His shalom to this group of whiners. He secured the promise of peace by sending Jesus into the world to pay for all their "if onlys". There was no shalom for Jesus as He died on a Roman cross.

As fellow whiners with Israel, we can only come to experience peace from God when we have true peace won for us through Jesus Christ.

Insight: For sin and a peace that endureth, thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide... Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside." (Thomas O. Chisholm, 1623)

w5pv
08-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the verse and thought.

johnson1942
08-15-2016, 11:39 PM
my peace comes from God also. first i and my families names are wrote in the lambs book of life forever and sealed their. second i have a God who really answers prayer. the third is a life changing quote that ive applied to my self by selling off anything that is excess in my life. anything i dont really want or need. in about the year 1900 in central north dakota a chief of one of the 5 tribes in n.dak was asked a question. i do not recall which tribe it was. he was a few years over 100 years old and born in the very late 1700/s. he was asked what he thought of white people. here is his answer and it is a good one. they load their wagon too full and when they get old the wagon become too hard to pull. it changed my life as far as material things and you never know it may get someone else out in castboolits land thinking about such thing also.