PDA

View Full Version : Some things just get better with time.

starmac
08-14-2016, 02:09 AM
Today was my anniversary, and my wife told me she wanted a dremel tool, so I didn't know if milwaukee made a cordless one or not, but if they did I would get one so that my batteries and chargers would work with it.
When she ask what I wanted, I explained I would get it myself, as I have been hankering for one of those cordless 700 ft poung 1/2 inch impacts anyway.
Well it turned out that milwaukee did have a nice cordless dremel, and it turned out they had a 3/4 inch cordless impact too, so she got hers, and I doubled down on mine. lol

Now I am not nessacarily claiming them wives have gotten better over time, but them cordless tools are head and shoulders better than they were just a few short years ago.
When I got home, I put an 1 1/2 in socket on and zipped the lugs off of my truck just to test it out. Man I could have sure used that thing last week when I blew a steer tire 300 some odd miles up a mud road from the nearest tire shop.

w5pv
08-14-2016, 07:21 AM
You would have had a hell of a long extension cord if it wasn't battery operated.Batteries are much better these days than the older types.

RED BEAR
08-14-2016, 09:35 AM
guess i am showing my age for years i have refused to buy anything battery powered could not stand the thought of the battery going dead while i was working. couple of weeks ago bought a battery powered screw driver and think it is the best thing since sliced bread. i guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. i think i would have a heart attack if my better half ever asked for some type of tool.

lightman
08-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Battery tools are really good now, but I'm impressed that you could get the lug nut off a big truck with one!

starmac
08-14-2016, 12:06 PM
In the past I have bought several cordless tools (mostly drills or screwdrivers) and eventually threw them away because of either power or battery life. The newer lithium batteries made a lot of difference as did the brushless motors. I use mine heavily, much more than most would use and I haven't picked up a corded drill unless I need a larger than 1/2 inch chuck for a couple of years.
A few years ago I made the mistake of buying an electric impact (corded) and gave it away in short order, it was no handier than an air impact and not half as good.
I use milwaukii, while my son uses dewalt, both seem to be about equal in their top line cordless tools. Both make some cheaper ones, that would probably still be a disappointment, but it is amazing how strong their top tier tools are and sure handier than dragging a cord or air hose around.
Since I have something like 8 tools that use the same battery, and extra batteries, running out of juice is no concern, I can just pop another battery in.

OS OK
08-14-2016, 12:41 PM
These tools are the reason I now build without hammer and nails...goes together quicker and tighter and lasts longer...when you need to re-do something, no more crow bars and nail pullers...when you tear something down, you get a new bucket full of assorted screws to use again, providing you use quality screws to start...it's a metamorphosis of the old way of doing things.

MaryB
08-15-2016, 11:55 PM
Square drive or torx screws, stainless ones. Last forever... That is how I assembled my deck 15 years ago. Had to replace a few boards that had rotted out where the moss got to them and it was a simple matter of using something pointy to clear the head out then buzzing out the screws.

I went cordless long ago and would never go back. About the only time I grab a corded drill now is if I need the hammer drill for concrete.

starmac
08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
I tried cordless several times over the years, most just wouldn't do the job I needed. Always went back to corded or even more air.
I did have one exception and that was a snapon 3/8 impact, which was spendy to say the least, but did do what was needed out of it. At the time and I think this has changed but snapon did not use the same battery in their impacts that they did in their drill, so I didn't try them. I suspect their drills were pretty good quality too.
The technology was just not there at the time for an efficient electric impact corded or not larger than 3/8s at the time.
Battery tecnology, and the strength of the newer brushless motors have changed the whole game.

bangerjim
08-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Everything..............but beer and white wine!

:shock: